Intrepid

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 05:13 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Kind of, but all theists are at least linked by a belief in a deity. You can't link atheists by what they don't believe in. That's like suggesting everyone who doesn't believe in elves all think the same. Obviously ridiculous, it would be demonstrably less erroneous to propose that everyone who believed in elves had more common ground.

Thank you for your rational reply. I must say that I am getting a much more rational and calm reply from an atheist that I am from a fellow Christian. It seems that many of my fellow Christians do not have the ability or inclination to follow what they claim to believe. For this, I am saddened.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 05:14 pm
@Herald,
Herald wrote:

Intrepid wrote:
So, all theists don't understand atheists?
     Absolutely. What we all the non-atheists don't understand about the so calling themselves atheists is that they are running out of arguments to defend their fake theories and thesis (it they have had any thesis at all) and start peppering mumbo-jumbo ... where they are great.
     What we don't understand about the so called atheists is that they have so anti-social understanding of the world that they don't dare to show it publicly ... and that is why they are hiding behind a wall, defending themselves from the invasion of the Gods. They hopelessly defend themselves against morality, for they are well aware that if they accept even one comma of those texts their whole 'value' system will fall apart like a tower of cards.

I am trying to sort through your babble, but this brings me to a question that is not entirely clear to me. Are you a Christian?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 05:19 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Intrepid wrote:
So, all theists don't understand atheists?

I forgot to mention--i said nothing at all like that.

My apologies, Setanta. I went back and reread what you had written regarding Herald. I misread part of the remarks. Embarrassed
Setanta

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 05:52 pm
@Intrepid,
It's no big deal. I did occur to me that you may have written that without thinking--but i didn't want to be held to that later on.
cicerone imposter

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 06:11 pm
@Germlat,
Look at all those who believe in FAUX SNOOZE. No sense in trying to explain what false and hoax means; it won't do any good.
Germlat

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 06:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Look at all those who believe in FAUX SNOOZE. No sense in trying to explain what false and hoax means; it won't do any good.

I feel sadly about those that don't get it..not a matter of intelligence..just opportunity...usually.
Intrepid

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 06:41 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

It's no big deal. I did occur to me that you may have written that without thinking--but i didn't want to be held to that later on.

Most of what I write is without thinking Very Happy
Setanta

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 06:43 pm
@Intrepid,
Yes, indeedy . . . i've managed to live more than 60 tears without thinking, which would have more of a strain than i could have borne.
neologist

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 06:46 pm
The real grabber comes from those who write after serious thinking. . . . and still are incomprehensible
0 Replies

Intrepid

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 06:52 pm
@Setanta,
Only 60 tears, Set? I have shed many more than that.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
cicerone imposter

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 06:58 pm
@Germlat,
It's not even opportunity, but a closed mind is difficult to invade.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 07:00 pm
@Intrepid,
It's called dysgraphia, and it's a product of old age--and i hope you'll have personal experience of it soon.
0 Replies

MWal

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 07:25 pm
@Setanta,
Only love will make my problems go away
edgarblythe

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 08:19 pm
When I first started attending church, I was about six or seven. I heard the minister say that through prayer God will grant you anything you ask of him. Well, I was pretty skeptical, but, every night, I prayed for a horse, just in case. But I spread it around. I asked for a better life for my mother. I was actually trying to become a Christian. About the time I was giving up the effort, the minister, who was my ride, was asked to take a few minutes before going home. There was a man who wanted him to drive a demon out of him. I watched in something akin to revulsion as the minister laid on his hands and spoke the magic incantation. The man stood still, but for heavy breathing and a distressed expression. As the man visibly relaxed, the minister declared success and we went home. I told my mother I did not want to go back, a few weeks later.
neologist

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 08:21 pm
@MWal,
MWal wrote:
If I believe God is Love and you don't believe that what's that make you?
I believe you have not thought about the implications of your post. If God is Love, are you able to explain human misery? Why do babies die? Why do we have wars? Genocide?

You can't make these serious questions go away with simple platitudes any more than you can cure disease by waving a Bible over the sickbed.
hingehead

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 09:02 pm
@MWal,
I hope you aren't counting on God supplying it - his record is patchy at best.
0 Replies

MWal

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 09:26 pm
@neologist,
So your saying love isn't all powerful or omnipotent?

Well you need to know.. Self is a virtue. Think of all things. Do your own laundry son.
Wilso

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 09:39 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I don't suppose there is anyone here (among those trashing the thread) who can speak seriously to their own experience of being an atheist.

That's a really interesting question. I'm suspecting there's a regional influence here. Living in Australia, I wouldn't say there is an "experience" of being an atheist. Religion rarely comes up in everyday life, and I've never been vilified in any way for being an atheist. The only time I experience the self serving arrogance of the religious is primarily restricted to mass and social media.
0 Replies

hingehead

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 09:41 pm
@MWal,
Quote:

Butting in here, apologies, does that mean any child who died of cancer, or car crash fatality, or dementia sufferer has no love?
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 28 Aug, 2014 10:00 pm
@MWal,
MWal wrote:
I believe that God is love. And I believe God to be all powerful. What I am saying is that simply declaring those things to be true proves nothing. On the contrary, those declarations demand defense:
If God is love, why do babies die?
If God is all powerful, why has He allowed human suffering?

Equating disbelief in God to hate is ignorant slander.