edgarblythe

Thu 25 Mar, 2010 08:13 pm
Very good, Thomas.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Mon 29 Mar, 2010 07:21 am
There is an event going on Facebook this week called "A Week." Participation is simple. People change their profile photo to the "scarlet A" lapel.

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs405.snc3/24549_533199178623_121201844_31423642_7584382_n.jpg

There is a fan page and I think that many Atheists my find support type info there. Additionally, people can see you and know you'll support them.

http://www.aweekonfacebook.com/ http://www.aweekonfacebook.com/

Same thing is going on at Twitter as well.

T
K
O
raprap

Mon 29 Mar, 2010 07:23 am
My gawd can beat up your gawd.

Rap
panzade

Mon 29 Mar, 2010 07:30 am
@raprap,
Sweet bumper sticker
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 29 Mar, 2010 12:32 pm
@Diest TKO,
People will just think you are a fan of Hawthorne.
Diest TKO

Mon 29 Mar, 2010 02:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
Perhaps. Not the response thus far.

T
K
O
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 29 Mar, 2010 04:24 pm
@Diest TKO,
Nice!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 09:06 am
Many people assume that reading up on and accepting evolution is the reason we become atheists. It is my belief most of us are already atheists before they approach the subject. That it just re-enforces much they intuitively knew. There are exceptions to my notion, I know. Who on this thread had to wait to become convinced by Darwin?
Setanta

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 09:29 am
I was never in an environment in which a theory of evolution were questioned until well into my adult life--not until i was in my 30s. It was incomprehensible to me that anyone would challenge it. I was raised with the notion taken for granted. It was never brought up in the context of the church in which my grandparents attempted to raise me, and it was simply assumed in the schools i attended.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 12:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Who on this thread had to wait to become convinced by Darwin?

I was pretty far gone down the atheist route myself until I read Origins and a lot of inferior stuff derived from it and having a free ride on its back.

That made me realise that I had better go into bat for God in order to do my bit to try to stop us all going over a cliff shouting how right we are.
edgarblythe

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 01:54 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
Who on this thread had to wait to become convinced by Darwin?

I was pretty far gone down the atheist route myself until I read Origins and a lot of inferior stuff derived from it and having a free ride on its back.

That made me realise that I had better go into bat for God in order to do my bit to try to stop us all going over a cliff shouting how right we are.

You were never a real atheist. Your 'faith in god' clouded your mind, much like Lamont Cranston. Ye have eyes, but ye see not.
spendius

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 03:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
4 assertions there Ed. Pretty good. One of them is true but even that one runs into the closed door of perception as it does also for the CERN scientists.
Diest TKO

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 03:38 pm
@spendius,
You believe you have a greater perception from atop your barstool than the scientists at CERN?

You're adorable.

T
Kids say the darnedest things.
O
ossobuco

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 04:21 pm
I was brought up very catholic with a capital C, as most multi posting a2kers know. In the late fifties I went to a strict high school run by a famously conservative order of nuns and in the early sixties went for one year to a small catholic college that was not as hidebound generally. There I majored in pre-med, which involved, naturally, science courses. I don't remember a word against evolution theory, just that it was taught in basic zoology. When I transferred to a v/good state university, and continued with all those premed courses, including genetics, evolution theory was a given. I don't remember when I first heard about people disagreeing about it - very many years later, whenever it was - probably in the eighties.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 05:01 pm
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
You believe you have a greater perception from atop your barstool than the scientists at CERN?

I could argue that pretty good TK but it wasn't the point I was making. If you were more clued up scientifically you would know what that was.

As it is.......well.
0 Replies

Eorl

Sat 3 Apr, 2010 04:53 am
In Australia for Easter, our Catholic leaders (Bishops and Pawns and such) have used the occasion to launch a collective attack on the "recent resurgence of atheism". They rolled out all the usual predictable bullshit with Hitler and Stalin and Pol Pot, and the "illusion that the world could be better without God" and obstinate rebellion nonsense...

Not once did any of them ever address the issue of whether or not any gods exist. But then they never do, do they? At least, not in public.
dlowan

Sat 3 Apr, 2010 06:12 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

In Australia for Easter, our Catholic leaders (Bishops and Pawns and such) have used the occasion to launch a collective attack on the "recent resurgence of atheism". They rolled out all the usual predictable bullshit with Hitler and Stalin and Pol Pot, and the "illusion that the world could be better without God" and obstinate rebellion nonsense...

Not once did any of them ever address the issue of whether or not any gods exist. But then they never do, do they? At least, not in public.

Cut off their heads!

WHAT recent resurgence of atheism? They're just fighting back!
msolga

Sat 3 Apr, 2010 06:38 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
WHAT recent resurgence of atheism? They're just fighting back!

Exactly!

But I suspect there's a heightened interest in atheism in the broad Oz community, following all the publicity of the recent atheism conference in Melbourne. It was big! With extensive media coverage. I suspect the church leaders might have found this rather threatening.

(Good to see you back, Deb!)
0 Replies

spendius

Sat 3 Apr, 2010 07:02 am
@dlowan,
It would be good fun watching Australia go atheist. After all, the repetitive spiel Eorl trots out and dwollie's very original sarcasm should be enough to convince every single one of Australia's 22,2 million souls that atheism is the way to go so that a scientific approach can be more rigidly imposed and thus the many benefits of such an approach can be enjoyed by all.

It would be a good experiment and not much harm can come of it when there's only 22.2 million people living a long way off. And it could be done overnight if Eorl and dwollie could explain on prime time TV, not during Test Matches though, how sensible it would be and what on earth is prime-time TV for if it's not for having common sense explained.

Millions of Australians shaking their heads in disbelief that they have been fools and going around saying "Sheesh--why didn't I think of that?"

On A2K it's a dead loss. Nearly everybody on A2K is already on board being such sensible folks as they obviously are. The few Idiots will remain Idiots due to some congenitally disordered brain function or other.

So the above two posts are a waste of time and it's not right that Eorl and dwollie should waste their time when there's all these other exciting things to do. They are not even examples of stylish English literary expression. They are more like how atheists do express complex ideas and thus one of the benefits I mentioned earlier can be seen in microcosm as a guide to what the macrocosm will sound like after the GREAT CONVERSION.

0 Replies

msolga

Sat 3 Apr, 2010 07:25 am
@Eorl,
Quote:
Christian leaders use Easter to attack atheism
Updated Fri Apr 2, 2010 4:02pm AEDT/ABC news online

Religious leaders have used their Good Friday sermons to launch an attack on what they call a recent surge in atheism. ... <cont>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/04/02/2863269.htm