coldjoint

Mon 12 May, 2014 11:13 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I have over 90,000 posts on a2k.

Just a couple days ago it was 85,000. What a prolific douchenozzle.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 12 May, 2014 11:16 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

LOL. That was fun, but this time I am serious. It's your fault: you express yourself poorly, most of the times. I only recently realised you were talking of metaphysics. It's well know that metaphysics are a waste of time.

Actually, I express myself quite clearly...and anything but poorly.

When Lloyd Bentsen debated Dan Quayle in the race where they were vice presidential candidates...the debate generated all sorts of heat. Letter to the editor were all over the place.

Each of the major weekly news magazines TIME and NEWSWEEK...received over 800 letters.

Both published letters of mine...two different letters.

I'll trust their judgement over yours, Olivier.

If you want to characterize what I have written as metaphysics in order to be dismissive of it...do so. In your mind I guess it beats having to acknowledge that you cannot deal with it logically.

I get a huge laugh at that kind of thing.
Wink
Frank Apisa

Mon 12 May, 2014 11:19 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Quote:
...I do not know if there are any gods...I cannot possibly know anything about them.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here. These are very qualitatively distinct statements. The former is defensible because it is based on first-person, empirical data (personal experience). The latter is a metaphysical knowledge claim. Frank, would you allow that there may be some way that you might possibly know about them in the future, even though you don't at present?

Absolutely. Nothing I have said indicates I would have any trouble with that. If there are gods...I can assume they can make their existence known in an unambiguous way. If they ever did...obviously I would have to recalculate.

Quote:
I'm going to Ancient Greece here and showing where the dogmatic skeptics differed from the Pyrrhonian skeptics. Dogmatic skeptics claimed that knowledge was impossible, but the Pyrrhonians only stated that they didn't know yet, leaving open the possibility for future developments.

I do not know the future, FBM...but I am adaptable. If something happens to change my mind...it will happen.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 12 May, 2014 11:21 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
My thoughts, of course [...] are in my head.

Thanks for stating the obvious once again.

The point is that, if they are in your head, they are observable by you. So you failed to present a convincing example of "a logical comment about something you cannot observe."

I have knowledge of my thoughts. I do not have knowledge of beings on other planets.

Stop the desperation, Olivier. It really looks terrible on you.

Quote:
Try again! See if you can come up with one thing you know about the universe without any empirical proof of it.

I already have.
cicerone imposter

Mon 12 May, 2014 11:23 am
@Frank Apisa,
frankie boy couldn't help himself, and wrote,
Quote:
It really looks terrible on you.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 12 May, 2014 11:24 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

CI is an ignoramus and a liar. I guess every forum has a couple.

As for his challenge to you, Advocate...post almost anything he has ever written using the word "oxymoron."

He misuses it just about every time he types it.
spendius

Mon 12 May, 2014 11:25 am
@cicerone imposter,
In the years leading up to WW1 there existed a loose coalition of people and commercial organisations dedicated to destroying the Christian religion.

It consisted of pop-eyed pedants and prophets, offering miracles, from a range of persuasions including agnostics, anarchists, atheists, critical thinkers, dress and diet reformers, economists, feminists, fork benders, libertines, perverts, philanthropists, rationalists, revolutionaries, spiritualists, scientific methodologists and assorted table rappers, vanity facilitators and zoophiliacs.

Being unable to agree on whether Jehovah was a fish, a lizard, a small red snake, an immaterial pan of spaghetti or a widower, they could not find a replacement for Christianity and had to content themselves with just the destruction.

0 Replies

spendius

Mon 12 May, 2014 11:28 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Please cut and paste from any of my posts that are lies or based on ignorance?

I would be here all week, ci., if I embarked on that project just in respect of myself.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 12 May, 2014 11:49 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
If you want to characterize what I have written as metaphysics in order to be dismissive of it...do so

I don't need your go-ahead to classify discussions about gods, the nature of "being", or life after death as metaphysical... In fact I am helping you express yourself here.

What, for all those years posting your ignorance of gods, "ultimate reality" and the likes, nobody on A2K made the connection with the classic critique of metaphysics as undecidable? There's only one possible explanation: nobody here gives a flying rat's arse about your posts...

Quote:

LOL. You shouldn't. Both Time and Newsweek are piss-poor magazines dumbing down their readers.

Did you write to them about "the qualifier", "the ultimate nature of REALITY", and whether you know any god? No? Try it and see if you can get that salmigundi of truisms and lapalissades published...
Olivier5

Mon 12 May, 2014 11:53 am
@Frank Apisa,
Thanks for conceding my point that knowledge must be based on empirical facts, which one can observe. Your counter-example was embarrassingly off-mark.
Frank Apisa

Mon 12 May, 2014 12:01 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
If you want to characterize what I have written as metaphysics in order to be dismissive of it...do so

I don't need your go-ahead to classify discussions about gods, the nature of "being", or life after death as metaphysical... In fact I am helping you express yourself here.

Wow...we are both here helping each other. Doesn't get much better than this.

Quote:
What, for all those years posting your ignorance of gods, "ultimate reality" and the likes, nobody on A2K made the connection with the classic critique of metaphysics as undecidable?

You know this from just a little over a year here? You know that no one else has ever challenged me on this basis?

C'mon...get your act together.

Quote:
There's only one possible explanation: nobody here gives a flying rat's arse about your posts...

Well...I have to acknowledge that they are not at my disposal for play anywhere near as much as you...but...there might be other explanations.

You gotta stay away from that "there is only one possible explanation"...because there are almost always others.
Wink

Quote:
Quote:

LOL. You shouldn't. Both Time and Newsweek are piss-poor magazines dumbing down their readers.

I definitely will trust their judgement about my writing ability over yours, Olivier.

Quote:
Did you write to them about "the qualifier", "the ultimate nature of REALITY", and whether you know any god? No? Try it and see if you can get that salmigundi of truisms and lapalissades published...

What have you had published?

Ever been paid for an essay?
cicerone imposter

Mon 12 May, 2014 12:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
frankie boy wrote,
Quote:
As for his challenge to you, Advocate...post almost anything he has ever written using the word "oxymoron."

Okay, please cut and paste from any of my post with those words, and show how I missed its definition?
Frank Apisa

Mon 12 May, 2014 12:03 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Thanks for conceding my point that knowledge must be based on empirical facts, which one can observe. Your counter-example was embarrassingly off-mark.

I have conceded nothing to you...and I thank you for another declaration of victory. They tickle me no end! Wink
Romeo Fabulini

Mon 12 May, 2014 12:11 pm
Quote:
Spendius said:- a loose coalition of people and commercial organisations dedicated to destroying the Christian religion... they could not find a replacement for Christianity and had to content themselves with just the destruction.

In more recent years they invented their own religion- "Politically-Correctism" to try to outdo Christianity.
PC-ism is a blind, unthinking religion without a heart and soul in which mush-brained pinkos and bleeding hearts rush robot-like to the aid of minorities such as scrounging immigrants, perverts, atheists, criminals and nonchristians to show that PC-ists are more compassionate and tolerant than nasty judgemental christians.
Needless to say, they can't get under the Bibles radar-
"..as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come" (1 John 2:18 )
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 12 May, 2014 12:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

frankie boy wrote,
Quote:

Okay, please cut and paste from any of my post with those words, and show how I missed its definition?

And where did you learn that word from?
cicerone imposter

Mon 12 May, 2014 12:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Not from you. Mr. Green

Whatsa matter, frankie boy? Can't answer my simple question?
You have proven once again that you're a ******* loser.
Romeo Fabulini

Mon 12 May, 2014 12:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm shocked at the way Frankie is dodging our questions, he hadn't used to duck a fight..(sigh)
Frank Apisa

Mon 12 May, 2014 12:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Not from you. Mr. Green

Whatsa matter, frankie boy? Can't answer my simple question?
You have proven once again that you're a ******* loser.

Oh, what a courteous guy. Always so polite. (Sarcasm)

You are an out of control, overly angry person, ci. You don't have that much longer to go...so why not grow up. Truly...it won't hurt.

Oh, I can answer your question.
cicerone imposter

Mon 12 May, 2014 01:06 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You wrote,
Quote:
You are an out of control, overly angry person, ci.

No, I'm not angry. Just stupefied by people like you who know how to psycho analyze people on a2k by our postings. You're actually a joke. You're not only ignorant, but stupid as well. Oh, I'm not angry; just expressing my observations about people like you - a know it all who says nothing.
Olivier5

Mon 12 May, 2014 01:09 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Ever been paid for an essay?

I'm actually paid to write, at least that's part of the job, and have published extensively.

Try and write to any journal or editor out there about the "qualifier". Then PLEASE PLEASE copy-paste their replies on A2K!

Forget that, try to explain your convoluted truisms to your wife, and see what she says!