spendius

Fri 9 May, 2014 03:26 pm
@Setanta,
It was old, tired, washed out, cornpone aimed at dimwits Set. Everything Gervais gobs is aimed at dimwits and is inspired by his dick. Hence the obsession.

Wilso

Fri 9 May, 2014 04:40 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

inspired by his dick.

All back to sex again you ******* pathetic, sexless loser.
cicerone imposter

Fri 9 May, 2014 04:41 pm
@Wilso,
spendi can't help himself; he thinks about sex 24/7.
spendius

Fri 9 May, 2014 04:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It's you lot who bring up the subject although I must admit at one remove so that fellow dimwits think you haven't done.

Gervais's desire to start an animal sanctuary is a logical development of his ideas.
Setanta

Fri 9 May, 2014 05:11 pm
Hey guys, let's not feed the trolls.
coldjoint

Fri 9 May, 2014 06:19 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Hey guys, let's not feed the trolls.

That will leave more for you. http://www.acidpulse.us/images/smilies/rofl1.gif
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 9 May, 2014 06:21 pm
@spendius,
http://www.acidpulse.us/images/smilies/cheer.gif

Fuckem
0 Replies

raprap

Fri 9 May, 2014 07:04 pm
I don't know enough to be sure of anything. The surety of atheism is equal to that of piety. Consequently I'm not an atheist.

Rap
Setanta

Fri 9 May, 2014 07:07 pm
@raprap,
That's a simple-minded point of view. I don't assert any certainty, i just don't believe all that old god bullsh*t.

I suggest you really don't know much about atheists.
raprap

Fri 9 May, 2014 07:23 pm
@Setanta,
I'll agree it's simple minded--I've tried the complex, I read the religious texts and the nearest I've felt comfortable is Taoism, but being admittedly less than intelligent I've dumbed it down.

Granted I'm admittedly 'materialistic' every action and reaction is governed by laws--the laws of motion; thermo, electro and hydrodynamics; evolution; games and thrones. This materialism is not faith, but it has not led me to atheism either.

Why? Because somewhere the ghost in the closet still remains--a supreme ghost that is all-knowing' all-powerful, all-intelligent and sophisticated. A ghost that created the possibility of my existence at this time and place.

BTW I don't buy the godoganda either.

Rap
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 9 May, 2014 08:08 pm
Dumbed it down is right. I suggest you read htis page at Wikipedia. I don't know if there are any gods, but i don't believe any of the claims i've ever heard, and more importantly, i don't care. You have no business making wisecracks about "certainty" on the part of atheists.
raprap

Fri 9 May, 2014 09:01 pm
@Setanta,
I guess then there are more than 'thirty shades of atheist'.

Granted it has been a long time since I applies KISS to faith (or the lack of it) but thankfully when I saw that the definition is fuzzy (in your link) I thankfully achieved some assurance that my concept wasn't completely wrong--or at least unique.

So as a wag, I'm with Dawkins.

Rap
0 Replies

hingehead

Fri 9 May, 2014 09:17 pm
@raprap,
I'd draw an analogy to your position with that of the teenage girl telling her mother she is not a 'feminist'. Her mother asks whether she wants to choose what she does in her life and who she sleeps with?
Of course she replies.
Then you're a feminist.
I think your problem is with how some express their atheism. Extrapolating that to all atheists and atheism is lazy, though common enough
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 10 May, 2014 01:05 am
Is my TV bust? Every time I try to tune into "The Ricky Gervais Show" I can only get a childish kids cartoon!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sat 10 May, 2014 02:38 am
@raprap,
raprap wrote:

I don't know enough to be sure of anything. The surety of atheism is equal to that of piety. Consequently I'm not an atheist.

Rap

Good point, Rap.

You are right on the button here.

Some people are certain there is a GOD...or are sure the odds so favor that position that it is just about a certainty...

...and some people are certain there are no gods...or are sure the odds so favor that position that it is just about a certainty.

The far superior position is to acknowledge that we really have very little idea of what the REALITY actually is.

Whatever the true nature of REALITY IS...that is what it IS.

I do not know what that true nature of the REALITY of existence is...and I think it makes very little sense to insist there has to be a particular element (like a GOD)...and that it makes just as little sense to insist there is no chance of one possible element to exist.

The fact that A2K has many people who call themselves atheists...but who insist they do not guess there are no gods...is unusual. Almost all the people who describe themselves as atheists that I know in non-cyber life are positive there are no gods.

You are on the right track here.
spendius

Sat 10 May, 2014 03:40 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
The far superior position is to acknowledge that we really have very little idea of what the REALITY actually is.

Why doesn't everybody adopt the position then? Surely everybody wishes to be far superior? Especially when it is as easy as simply acknowledging that they have very little idea what the reality actually is. A hobo can manage that.
0 Replies

spendius

Sat 10 May, 2014 03:52 am
@Frank Apisa,
Surely it is a guess that the only consequence of acknowledging that we really have very little idea of what the reality actually is is that it renders a person far superior.

Are other consequences not possible?
Olivier5

Sat 10 May, 2014 09:10 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Surely it is a guess that the only consequence of acknowledging that we really have very little idea of what the reality actually is is that it renders a person far superior.

It may lead to a certain pedantism, if that's a word. It's not like you can do anything practical with that piece of info. Also to schizophrenia in the worst cases.
Frank Apisa

Sat 10 May, 2014 11:20 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

spendius wrote:

It may lead to a certain pedantism, if that's a word. It's not like you can do anything practical with that piece of info. Also to schizophrenia in the worst cases.

It could also lead to truth...in fact, it does lead to truth.

But some people avoid the truth at all costs.
edgarblythe

Sat 10 May, 2014 11:25 am
The anti atheist circle jerk is complete.
0 Replies