spendius

Sat 5 Apr, 2014 06:52 am
@spendius,
Quote:
By polarising the debate you are holding back atheism.

In the absence of any evidence to the contrary it cannot be ruled out that the most intemperate posters against Christianity are fundamentalist Christians seeking to discredit atheism by associating it with infantile blurting, irrationality and bare-faced, ignorant bigotry: agent provocateurs.

And imo very successful at it because I very much doubt, from reading their drivelous flounces, that any neutral person would be extremely wary of ever allowing them anywhere near the levers of power what with the fiat being presented as their habitual fundamentalist modus operandi along with a refusal to even listen to others whose views they are obviously frightened of. A combination known to have long-term negative consequences.

And to the extent that there is free speech it is the Christian countries which allow freest expression of it. And which Ignore is specifically chosen to limit. It rejects the benefits of free speech for the person who employs such a device. Thus the person must be an enemy of free speech. As are atheist regimes we know of.

It is not easy to discredit atheism any better than by linking it to that little concatenation of jollies. It is surprising we can muster 10%.

Is it never allowed that it is not atheism at all which is the problem but the persons who promote it? They already have the opportunity to engage in a range of sexual depravities sufficient for any normal person and it is thus not unreasonable to conclude that their mission is to have us consider them respectable and nothing to gossip about or be the subject of any lurid front page stories.

It is inconsistent to use words derived from those depravities as forceful expressions. When the depravities become respectable such words would have no force. Thus the use of them implies that the depravities are considered to be depravities by those who use those words.

Olivier5

Sat 5 Apr, 2014 10:35 am
@Olivier5,
Guess I forgot to make a point.. which was that Constantine is not a villain, he is one of the best emperors there ever was. Yes he promoted Christianity but he did not make it a state religion. This would come much later. Constantine never officially converted, if memory serves. Some christian source has him being baptised at the end of his life. Again, very political: about half or more of his subjects were pagan. He had a policy of tolerance towards paganism which seems very modern. And he rebuilt the cohesion of the darn empire this way.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Sat 5 Apr, 2014 12:17 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Alice seems to be an unpleasant person.

Speaking as someone who's not even an atheist, I must say that this Alice is a fascist. I'm personally sickened by her comments. They are a prime example of scapegoating, not to mention just plain intolerance. People like her don't have the slightest idea what constitutes a free society.
0 Replies

lmur

Sat 5 Apr, 2014 12:44 pm
@spendius,
Thanks for that post, spendius.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 5 Apr, 2014 12:46 pm
@Wilso,
Quote:
Please stop feeding trolls.

Hiel Wilson!!!http://www.acidpulse.net/images/smilies/rofl1.gif
raprap

Sat 5 Apr, 2014 09:49 pm
@coldjoint,
I'm not an Atheist ColdDope, but I certainly hope I don't believe in the same gawds as ColdDope. I'd like to think of my gawds as intelligent and sane.

Rap
spendius

Sun 6 Apr, 2014 04:04 am
@raprap,
That's Paganism rap. There are some nice side-effects.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sun 6 Apr, 2014 04:22 am
Quote:
Romeo said: Most Christians end their prayer with something like "your will be done", in other words they've done their bit by praying
Krumple replied: It is still groveling for change. Why are they praying if they are accepting what ever god decides to do? If you already think it is god's will to have things be the way they are, what's the point in praying? ..

When I see Schumachers pic in the news I CAN'T HELP muttering "God, help his brain heal", it just comes out naturally, so if my little prayer helps one of his neurons to regenerate, so be it..Smile
Has anybody at A2K prayed for Schu?
Incidentally praying also helps whoever is doing the praying, it's our way of logging onto God and getting a power download that strengthens us.
"After Jesus spent the night in prayer, everybody tried to touch him because power was coming from him" (Luke 6:12-19)
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sun 6 Apr, 2014 04:33 am
Quote:
Romeo said: Jesus did 37 miracles, and when the first gospels were written NOBODY came forward to say "Hey that never happened!"
That's because the entire nation of Israel and the Roman army garrison saw him in action, and that's a lot of eyewitnesses..
Krumple said:Then why was it only recorded in one book? Why did no romans write about it? NOT A SINGLE ROMAN WROTE ABOUT THE MIRACLES that is the miracle.

Think POLITICS mate!
When Christianity began snowballing in popularity after Jesus's execution, the snooty Jewish priests and the Romans said - "Oops better not let on it was us who killed him, quick, shred all the documents implicating us or we'll have a Jesusgate scandal on our hands, let's airbrush him out of history and start hassling christians, and people will soon quickly forget about him"..

Nevertheless 27 separate books did slip through the net and get published, and were later bound together and called the New Testament..Smile
Even the Koran written 600 years later admits Jesus was a miracle man-
"Allah gave clear miracles to Isa [Jesus] son of Marium [Mary], and strengthened him with the holy spirit" (Koran 2:253)

In other words Jesus was TOO BIG for anybody to pretend he never existed, heck he was almost as big as Elvis, right Elv?

"Uh-huh"
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/elvis1.jpg
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sun 6 Apr, 2014 04:38 am
Quote:
Krumple said: I have converted hard core christians in the past. I have emails to prove it.

Wanna try converting me?
Your move..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/shane-wilson_zps4568c86a.jpg~original
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sun 6 Apr, 2014 04:46 am
Quote:
Romeo asked: But Jesus said there IS a life after death, so why would he lie?
Krumple replied: Never said he was lying. He was delusional.

If he was just a mad preacher, how was he able to do stuff that even David Blaine would be hard-pressed to copy?
"..even though you do not believe me, believe the miracles, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father." (John 10:38)
spendius

Sun 6 Apr, 2014 09:15 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Here is some more superstitious rubbish--

Quote:
And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:

25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:

26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,

Deuteronomy 14.

spendius

Sun 6 Apr, 2014 01:44 pm
@spendius,
Does anybody here know where the word "Setanta" comes from and the vast claims that are implied by the adoption of the name as a nom de plume?
spendius

Sun 6 Apr, 2014 01:48 pm
@spendius,
Why has nobody claimed that the quote from Deuteronomy is bullshit?
0 Replies

Wilso

Sun 6 Apr, 2014 05:25 pm
It's a trollfest.
coldjoint

Sun 6 Apr, 2014 06:06 pm
@Wilso,
Quote:
It's a trollfest.

Your presence has confirmed that.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Sun 6 Apr, 2014 06:44 pm
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:
It's a trollfest.
Are you talking about this particular thread or A2K in general?
FBM

Sun 6 Apr, 2014 07:13 pm
http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w561/hapkido1996/1004904_317349468401490_722185779_n_zps60cc1d7c.jpg
Wilso

Sun 6 Apr, 2014 09:18 pm
@rosborne979,
This one.
coldjoint

Sun 6 Apr, 2014 09:19 pm
@Wilso,
Still here?