Wilso

Sat 8 Mar, 2014 04:41 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Chai said: I've personally always thought the bible was incredibly boring. I don't understand why it gets the attention it does.

UFO's, giants, ghosts, replication of matter, ESP, aliens, time manipulation, out-of-body-phenomena, levitation etc, the Bible was doing it all long before David Blaine..Wink

Enough with the emoticons you ignorant ****. They just make you look like an even more pathetic fuckwit.
0 Replies

chai2

Sat 8 Mar, 2014 05:21 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

the Bible was doing it all long before David Blaine..Wink

You mean David Blaine the trickster? A guy who attempts to make the unobservant or naive believe he's performing "magic"?

David Blaine is boring too.

More importantly, Blaine isn't responsible for doing the things he appears to be performing.

Someone observant enough, and with enough interest to find out "how he does it" can figure out the truth behind the illusion.

Just as scientists are not satisfied with an old book saying "Angels came down from the sky and...."
They will seek the truth as to why something happened.
spendius

Sat 8 Mar, 2014 06:08 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Just as scientists are not satisfied with an old book saying "Angels came down from the sky and...."
They will seek the truth as to why something happened.

Maybe they seek to distract attention from truths they are uncomfortable with by picking out something of that nature. The Song of Solomon for example. Or love thy neighbour.

And some scientists are quite satisfied with such things. You are only counting as scientists those scientists who are not satisfied with an old book saying "Angels came down from the sky and...."

Where is the quote in the Bible?
chai2

Sat 8 Mar, 2014 06:23 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Maybe they seek to distract attention from truths they are uncomfortable with by picking out something of that nature. The Song of Solomon for example. Or love thy neighbour.

So you think that if there was not a book called the bible, that says in it love thy neighbor, that no one, scientists included, would believe that being kind to others is a good thing?

You really think that without that, people would choose to harm everyone they come across in their life?

Call me a genius, but I've always known that killing someone, stealing from them, lying is wrong, and that helping others throughout your life is good and right.

As far as the song of solomon, if you like it, fine.

I don't find it particularly interesting, or beautiful. That's my take of it.

Where is that quoted in the bible? Don't be silly, you knew perfectly well my meaning.
Setanta

Sat 8 Mar, 2014 06:25 pm
@chai2,
Now Darlin' . . . don't feed that nasty old troll.
spendius

Sat 8 Mar, 2014 06:28 pm
@chai2,
You don't go from not loving to harming.

You will have to consult JTT about the harming.
chai2

Sat 8 Mar, 2014 06:32 pm
@Setanta,
I know. He is a nasty person.

In truth, at this time in my life, I don't know if I'm an atheist or not. I wouldn't even call myself an agnostic.

I've come to the place where it just doesn't matter one way or another.

I've never done anything good in my life where I was thinking I was doing it to please some third party. I never thought about doing something good but said no, I'm not going to do the right thing here, because I don't/do/I'm not sure is God exists.

I just do some nice things sometimes, some not nice things others, but hopefully I've helped more people that have come across my path than harmed.
chai2

Sat 8 Mar, 2014 06:34 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

You don't go from not loving to harming.

So what about the first part of that?

So you think that if there was not a book called the bible, that says in it love thy neighbor, that no one, scientists included, would believe that being kind to others is a good thing?

You would never know to be kind and good to people unless some book told you too?

Thomas

Sat 8 Mar, 2014 07:16 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
You would never know to be kind and good to people unless some book told you too?

Good question, Chai.
0 Replies

Wilso

Sat 8 Mar, 2014 07:32 pm
Anyone who claims the bible is their moral guide is saying the only thing separating them from Ted Bundy is a flimsy superstition. Truly frightening people.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 8 Mar, 2014 08:24 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
I've come to the place where it just doesn't matter one way or another.

Generally, i just say i don't believe there is a god, and i don't care.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 8 Mar, 2014 09:02 pm
Same here. I don't really care if gods exist. It's the dogma and fanaticism of deists and some agnostics I object to.
Setanta

Sat 8 Mar, 2014 09:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
What seems so incredible to me is that people don't see how preposterous it is to imagine a deity who creates such a vast and complex cosmos, and then takes a minute interest in what kind of sex i have or whether or not i am always pure in thought word and deed. Can't these jokers see how petty, how hilariously improbable that is? Such people lack a sense of proportions, lack perspective and don't seem to grasp the vastness and complexity of the cosmos. We're nobody, living nowhere--stuck on a rocky little planet orbiting a not terribly large or prepossessing star in the boondocks of just one of the billions of galaxies out there.
edgarblythe

Sat 8 Mar, 2014 09:12 pm
@Setanta,
And, one collision with the right asteroid makes us instant dust.
Setanta

Sat 8 Mar, 2014 09:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
It would just be god's will . . .
0 Replies

Wilso

Sat 8 Mar, 2014 10:59 pm
@Setanta,
http://i62.tinypic.com/vxos2c.jpg
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sun 9 Mar, 2014 02:17 am
Quote:
Chai said: [re David Blaine] Someone observant enough, and with enough interest to find out "how he does it" can figure out the truth behind the illusion

I know, it's great fun trying to work out how he does some of his stuff, most of it is just slight of hand and blatant camera trickery.
We KNOW it's fake, otherwise he'd have claimed James Randi's 1-million-dollar prize..Smile

WIKI- The One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge is offered by the James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF), which says it will pay out one million U.S. dollars to anyone who can demonstrate a supernatural or paranormal ability under agreed-upon scientific testing criteria. Over a thousand people have applied to take the challenge, but none has yet been successful
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Million_Dollar_Paranormal_Challenge

PS- Jesus's "tricks" are another matter entirely and it's difficult to see how bringing people back to life is a trick..Wink

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sun 9 Mar, 2014 02:29 am
Quote:
Wilso said:@RF- Enough with the emoticons you ignorant ****. They just make you look like an even more pathetic fuckwit.

That's it mate, keep keep flaunting your soaring atheist wit and intellect for all the world and orbiting alien spacecraft to see, and dragging me back into this thread to slap you around. You're looking for trouble and you've come to the right boy!
But I shouldn't be too hard on you because it's not really you who's talking, it's one of your demons speaking through your mouth using you like a ventriloquists dummy..Wink
As I've said before, demons is an oldfashioned word, in modern terms they're "spiritual parasitic lifeforms" that seek to lodge in the mind of a human host so they can bend his/her will to their own and make the victim spout anti-christian hatred.
They may once have had material bodies, but then evolved into invisible entities, or don't you believe in evolution?

Jesus casts a demon out of some poor shmuck, no wonder they hate and fear him and all Christians..Smile
(Demon in a man screamed):-"Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art, the Holy One of God" (Mark 1:24)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/jesus-casts_zps67603e18.jpg~original
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sun 9 Mar, 2014 02:46 am
Wilso posted:
http://i62.tinypic.com/vxos2c.jpg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All we're seeing in that pic is the useless "debris field" left over after the Big Bang..Smile
Sure, dewey-eyed atheists like Carl "billions upon billions" Sagan may worship it (after all, that's all they've got) but the fact remains the universe is just worthless atoms-and-molecules with zilch spiritual importance.
In one episode of Star Trek TNG, the Traveller offers to take Wesley on a tour of the universe to see all its "wonders" and Wes is all for it.
Me, I'd have told the Traveller "Thanks but no thanks mate, I'd be bored"

"Don't worship the sun moon and stars" (Deuteronomy 4:19)
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 9 Mar, 2014 05:57 am
@chai2,
Quote:
I know. He is a nasty person.

He's not as nasty as Setanta, and a few others on here, who are telling lies all the time in every post they make. He, and them, promote atheism not on the advantages of atheism in the sexual behavior field, which they dare not do, and I am willing to if required, but on the basis of attacking a morality, which does not affect them if they so choose, and which we will have to live with if they succeed in their mission.

I am an atheist.

Setanta & Co are holding atheism back because they associate it with stupidity and the cowardly and sneaky trick of ignoring my posts and the challenges they offer. They are 100% negative. What we should not have rather than what we should have. Which is full-blown eugenics, euthanasia, sexual promiscuity, (the whole gamut) , and conditioning for scientific materialism, which is amoral, none of which they will defend and which are the logical outcome of their promotions and are, indeed, half way to fulfillment right now.

What sort of an argument is it, chai, in relation to a cultural upheaval, that I am a nasty person? Or that you are sometimes a good person. "Good" can only be defined functionally by those with power.

Asserting that I am a nasty person is merely a cheap trick to evade the relevant questions: aka continuous lies. It's a free country so you can buy into it if you want. Your politicians don't and neither do ours.

0 Replies