Frank Apisa

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 12:19 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

The three big problems which most people have with religion are, in something like this order:

1. The problem of evil.
2. The theory of evolution.
3. The book of Joshua (and/or other Bible sections showing Jahveh behaving in a manner at odds with modern notions of ethics.

You seem to be hung up on item 3. Understanding what goes into those parts of the Bible is a long story and involves the nature of ancient religions, which were substantially different from modern religion as well as from the religion of the later parts of the Old Testament.

All ancient religions were astral in nature, i.e. they worshiped things which they observed in the sky, particularly the two dwarf stars, Jupiter and Saturn. Jahveh is the same basic word as 'Jove', another name for Jupiter; you can convince yourself that 'El' meant Saturn by doing Google searches on 'El Saturn Babylon' and you have to include the term 'Babylon' to weed out the hits on the GM Saturn car dealerships.

Israelites were the first group of people to figure out that they should no longer be worshiping dwarf stars, i.e. that was the best case; worst case was Lithuanians who were still worshiping Odin (Saturn) at the time of the crusades.

Plato's dialogs indicate that he understood the difference between God (the author of our living world) and the dwarf star/polytheistic deities but, when you read some of the worst stuff in the Bible, there is a question in places as to who is speaking. I use the term 'Book of Joshua' as a metaphor for that stuff because the tale of the destruction of the city of Ai is virtually indistinguishable from the tale of the destruction of Lioyang by the Mongols under Jebe.

By the time you get to Jesus of course, all of that stuff is gone. The God who Jesus worships does not engage in any indefensible behavior, nor does Jesus.

Not sure why you think that, Gunga...but things were not appreciably different during the time Jesus lived where he did...from how they were when the people who wrote the mythology lived there.

The god Jesus worshiped is described in the Old Testament. Jesus knew the disposition of the god...and said he was not here to change any of it.

So how do you get to where you are?
Romeo Fabulini

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 01:58 pm
Quote:
Frank Apisa said:...you guys are stuck with that monster from the Old Testament

Monster? if God was a monster he wouldn't have sent Jesus to warn us about hell, he'd have just let us blunder into it!
"For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day" (John 6:40)

Everybody gets the chance to repent before they die, even murderers, thieves, rapists, con men, corrupt politicians, heathens, perverts, atheists, agnostics, cultists, get-rich-quick TV evangelists etc.
If they die unrepentant they'll be in a world o' hurt, seems fair enough to me. I mean they couldn't let into heaven or it'd be a case of "oops there goes the neighbourhood!"
The bottom line is that Jesus was a nice guy, so if anybody don't like him they deserve to have their asses busted because THEY'RE the monsters, not God..Smile

"How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, it is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God" (Heb 10:29-31)
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/fury.gif
Frank Apisa

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 02:03 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Frank Apisa said:...you guys are stuck with that monster from the Old Testament

Monster? if God was a monster he wouldn't have sent Jesus to warn us about hell, he'd have just let us blunder into it!

If he were a monster...he would act like the god described in the Old Testament. In fact...that is exactly how the god acts...and therefore my characterization of him as a monster is spot on.

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 02:12 pm
Quote:
Romeo said:Jesus came to trash ONLY the harshness of the OT, he had no beef with the rest of it.
Calamity said: so your jesus thought your god was harsh?

ATTAGIRL, keep swinging at old Romeo with your handbag..Smile
Now sit at your desk in my sunday school class, get out your exercise book and write this down-
Jesus said - "For I have not spoken on my own authority; but the Father who sent me gave me a command, what I should say and what I should speak" (John 12:49)
Gettit? It means that when Jesus trashed the harshness of the OT, it was really God himself who was trashing it through Jesus's mouth..Smile

-------------------------------------------------------

Romeo Fabulini: they can't take him in debates, never could, never will!
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/POS-swagger2_zps8e311a2c.jpg~original
Frank Apisa

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 02:15 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Romeo said:Jesus came to trash ONLY the harshness of the OT, he had no beef with the rest of it.
Calamity said: so your jesus thought your god was harsh?

ATTAGIRL, keep swinging at old Romeo with your handbag..Smile
Now sit at your desk in my sunday school class, get out your exercise book and write this down-
Jesus said - "For I have not spoken on my own authority; but the Father who sent me gave me a command, what I should say and what I should speak" (John 12:49)
Gettit? It means that when Jesus trashed the harshness of the OT, it was really God himself who was trashing it through Jesus's mouth..Smile

-------------------------------------------------------

Romeo Fabulini: they can't take him in debates, never could, never will!
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/POS-swagger2_zps8e311a2c.jpg~original

I'm not big on prayer at all...and not in any way in the literal sense. But in the figurative sense of the word...I am praying that you are just an atheist who is putting us on in order to mock Christianity.

It'd still be a bit unfair...but at least it would make sense.

If you actually are a Christian, though, the atheists of the world ought to endow a chair at a major university in your name. You make Christianity look like a pile of manure.
0 Replies

spendius

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 02:22 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Look Romeo--Apisa calls the God of the OT a "monster" to signal to us all what a nice, sweet chap he is being opposed to all those nasty things he has had picked out for him by people who have an interest in wagging his tongue in a certain way in that armchair of his situated where the Indians were ethnically cleansed from to make room for him.

It's a PR exercise.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 02:24 pm
Quote:
Setanta said (with Frank Apisa's agreement) : Jesus said- "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled" (Matthew Chapter 5, Verse 18.)
..the text of scripture shows that your boy Jesus was not out to "trash" any part of his native religion.

YES! Keep it up guys and you'll make Pope in no time..Smile
Jesus never bothered to go through the OT page by page scrapping this bit or that bit, he simply slapped God's blanket command "Love one another" over the whole caboodle!
So although nasty stuff like "kill witches and adulteresses" is still in the OT, I don't think God and Jesus would be too pleased if you went out and did that..Wink

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/JesusAdultrss.jpg
Frank Apisa

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 02:28 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Setanta said: Jesus said- "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled" (Matthew Chapter 5, Verse 18.)
..the text of scripture shows that your boy Jesus was not out to "trash" any part of his native religion.

YES! Keep it up mate and you'll make Pope in no time..Smile
Jesus never bothered to go through the OT page by page scrapping this bit or that bit, he simply slapped God's blanket command "Love one another" over the whole caboodle!

Actually, you even have that wrong, Romeo. The "command" Jesus thought was so important was not to love one another! Read the book...you'll see!

Quote:
So although nasty stuff like "kill witches and adulteresses" is still in the OT, I don't think God and Jesus would be too pleased if you went out and did that..Wink

We can take his word on what he thought about those commands...or yours.

Hummm.

I guess for you...it would be for us to take your word. Wink

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 02:36 pm
Quote:
Frank Apisa said:@Romeo- You make Christianity look like a pile of manure

Not sure i follow mate, I've posted the following quote many times, so tell us which bit of it you think is "manure"?..Wink
"Love one another, feed the hungry, house the homeless, clothe the destitute, tend the sick, visit the prisoners, look after the poor"- Jesus of Nazareth (Mark 12:30, John 13:34, Matt 25: 37-40)

Be careful, the naughty step....
Jesus said "Whoever's ashamed of me and my words, I'll be ashamed of him" (Mark 8:38 )
Romeo Fabulini

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 02:48 pm
Quote:
Frank Apisa said: If he were a monster...he would act like the god described in the Old Testament. In fact...that is exactly how the god acts...and therefore my characterization of him as a monster is spot on

Think "protective father" mate..Smile
In ancient OT times the Israelis were his blue-eyed boys and gals and he had to protect them by zapping marauding heathen tribes etc so that Israel would still exist as a relatively civilised place to send Jesus to later on.

Remember the badge on the nose of the nuclear bombers that you serviced in your Air Force days? It shows a mighty fist ready to dish out lightning bolts or olive branches depending on whoever deserved which.
For example if the Rooskis started anything, you and your mates were quite prepared to wipe out every man woman and child in their cities to protect western democracy, you were a real gungho live wire in them days, yeehaw ..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/B-47_nose_zps5e3e0f3e.jpg~original
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 02:49 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Frank Apisa said:@Romeo- You make Christianity look like a pile of manure

Not sure i follow mate, I've posted the following quote many times, so tell us which bit of it you think is "manure"?..Wink
"Love one another, feed the hungry, house the homeless, clothe the destitute, tend the sick, visit the prisoners, look after the poor"- Jesus of Nazareth (Mark 12:30, John 13:34, Matt 25: 37-40)

Be careful, the naughty step....
Jesus said "Whoever's ashamed of me and my words, I'll be ashamed of him" (Mark 8:38 )

Has nothing to do with the quote, Romeo. It has to do with your attitude. You do not embody the attributes that Jesus preached.
Romeo Fabulini

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 03:03 pm
Quote:
Frank Apisa said @Romeo: You do not embody the attributes that Jesus preached

Yeah, yeah (yawn), tell it to my fans because my ears ain't a-listening...zzzzzz...zzzzz..Smile

Spannerose - "Mick, I would like you to know that the result of reading your posts I am left with the desire to pick up my bible for the first time in years"
ChildofLight - "So good to read your responses Mick, some are quite witty and made LOL"
Happysandyh - "welcome Mick, welcome welcome!"
HenryS - "You are brilliant Mick in finding appropriate phrases. Another one of your superb emails to store"
Firebrand - "Amen and welcome Mick"
Coconut - "Whew! Thanks for sharing Mick"
Sarah4Jesus - "Listen to Mick in Plymouth, he is a great teacher"
Cathie - "Very wise advice Mick, thanks"
Kierri - "That was one of the best explanations I've ever heard! Yay for Mick in Plymouth"
Haimehenmmli - "I LOVE IT MATE!!! I'm going to put it into my files, with some of my other favorites, from you"
Evachrst3 - "Right on, Mick, I couldn't agree more.Thank you for defending the faith so eloquently".
Devilmademedoit2 - "I love this! Thanks, Mick!"
SweetSummer96 - "Wow. That's a cool story Mick."
Vespasian052 - "Wow! Mick,what an awesome tale.."
Beekpr9 - "Amen to all you have said, Mick!"
Saipan1777 - "Spot on Mick bravo"
Duke Tinn - "Thanks again Mick. Great Stuff"
Tahella - "Welcome Mick!"
Ainglkiss - "Mick what a wonderful story. You write so well. Keep up the great work"
BlessedOne - "Glad to have you here Mick! Jesus is the way!"
MonkGirl - "Wow, thank you Mick! That is really comforting...and all I really needed to hear!"
WOFman - "Welcome Mick!"
JeffC - "HELL YEAH! PREACH IT BROTHER, THE REALITY WAY! (LUV YUR STYLE....)
Nottonguetied - "I loved those stories from Mick"
Honeybearx - "This was very good reading thank you Mick"
Megan - "Mick, I just wanted to tell you that I loved this story, it was very touching"
Benjoman - "Your one of the only ones from the singles board that I still love Mick"
Allisoneness -"You are the one true Christian on here, keep up the good work and praise the Lord"
Sherry Anne - "Mick i love your posts"
Antipas - "Brilliant yet again Mick"
Easynote - "ROFL Mick you are pure class, another of your timeless classics!"
Kermit - "I love Mick. He is so, how shall I say it, RIGHT ON THE MONEY AND FUNNY, TOO"
Kermmiekr - "How uplifting Mick, and so very true"
Chrysalis55- "Just want to say, I love your posts and your messages not only insprire me, sometimes they make me laugh
because you are able to get your point across in such a great way. WAY TO GO waymarker!!!"
Evenflow- I just LOVE this post You have made me smile BIG TIME this morning. Good for you and what a great attitude you have to life xx
Apple Pie - "Really good to see you, Mick. Come on over to 4church, we could do with your input and your humour"
Lillian - "Mick please come back..it's nice having you on the board"

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Romeo Fabulini: he shoots, he scores!
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/shoots1_zpsa38dec6c.jpg~original
0 Replies

panzade

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 03:22 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Jesus Christ Frank!
You know I love you man but give this **** a rest.
I'm trying to ignore Mussolini and all I see is page after page of his swill quoted on your otherwise excellent posts.
Why don't you two Peacocks repair to the aviary and hash it out there?
Again, no disrespect Frank.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 04:05 pm
Yeah. Get the **** out.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 04:16 pm
Guys, guys, this is the Atheist thread, so you should be glad I'm here to liven it up..Smile
If this thread was purely for atheists the discussions would go like this-

ATHEIST#1- "There's no god"
ATHEIST#2- "Right"
ATHEIST#3- "Jesus never existed"
ATHEIST#4- "Right"
ATHEIST#5- "All religions are evil"
ATHEIST#6- "Right"
ATHEIST#7- "There's no heaven or hell"
ATHEIST#8- "Right"
ATHEIST#2- "Right"
ATHEIST#4- "Right"
ATHEIST#6- "Right"
ATHEIST#8- "Right"
ATHEIST#2- "Right"
ATHEIST#4- "Right"
ATHEIST#6- "Right"
ATHEIST#8- "Right"
ATHEIST#2- "Right"
ATHEIST#4- "Right"
ATHEIST#6- "Right"
ATHEIST#8- "Right"
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 04:21 pm
Quote:
Frank Apisa said: The "command" Jesus thought was so important was not to love one another

Mate, I can only assume you're on the verge of cracking up bigtime because of chronic golf withdrawal symptoms! Just hang in there a little longer and ride out these long dark winter days , "The night is nearly over, day is almost here" (Romans 13:12)
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 04:32 pm
Actually, the topic of this thread is the experience of being an atheist. In the context of the trashing of this thread, the conversation would be something to the effect of:

What has been your experience lately?

You can't get a word in edgewise because the agnostics and the god-botherers won't shut up.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 04:42 pm
Quote:
Panzade said: I'm trying to ignore Mussolini and all I see is page after page of his swill

Hey mate I see your profile says "I was born in Buenos Aires Argentina in 1951"
You must still be smarting at the way we Brits took the Falklands off you..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/falks-flag_zpscfaecbbe.jpg~original
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 04:51 pm
Quote:
Santa said: Actually, the topic of this thread is the experience of being an atheist

You gotta be jivin us boy! This thread is just a platform for badmouthing christianity!
Anyway, I don't think it can be a pleasant experience being an atheist, they're jumpy, uptight, irritable and permanently on the edge of a nervous breakdown..Wink
Kirk's parallel universe double looks like an atheist-

edgarblythe

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 05:02 pm
0 Replies