spendius

Fri 28 Feb, 2014 02:53 pm
@Germlat,
Quote:
But it's not what really happens Romeo. Tele evangelists will take the money from a welfare mom and buy Botox with it. If you believe their crap..they'll also sell you "blessed water", CDs ( for your own spiritual strengthening of course), and take the little you have financially so they can live like kings.

And what do you think those types would be doing if it wasn't using fake religion? Working on the coal-face??? And anyway--I assume their audience derive something from it that is thought worthwhile.

I could never understand why people bought Beatles' records. Or Cash's. Or those of many others whose names it is too tiresome to mention. Look into the mechanics of big money game shows. At least some mystical whooshie-whooshie done reasonably proficiently is better than listening to one idiotic question after another knowing that a dead easy one will cause a million or two to shout the answer at the screen to get them in a good mood to view the ads and with nobody to gossip to when the show's over.

One really does have to try, Germie, to view your fellow man with a degree of patience and tolerance. It is the hallmark of the true intellectual. Knowing "things" doesn't cut the mustard I'm afraid. That is often dysfunctional but I won't mention any names.

It takes a long apprenticeship in the Catholic Church to get anywhere near living like a junior minister. And very few make it to that.

So those you mention won't be joining that.
Romeo Fabulini

Fri 28 Feb, 2014 02:54 pm
Quote:
Germlat said: True Romeo...it is a magnificently enormous money making industry..

Hey stop giving me ideas or I might decide to become a get-rich-quick TV Evangelist myself..Smile

ROMEO FABULINI, IRON MAN!
"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another" (Proverbs 27:17)
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/POS-swagger2_zps8e311a2c.jpg~original

Tired, lonely, depressed? Relax, your troubles are over! Simply join Romeo's online IRON MAN CHURCH for only 20 dollars and feel his enormous spiritual strength pour into you!
You'll also receive a catalog of IMC products that you can buy such as signed photos of Romeo, and his books, CD's and 'Romeo Action Man Figures' etc.

Don't be shy, WALK WITH ROMEO..Smile

Germlat

Fri 28 Feb, 2014 02:57 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Well...at least you see the humor in it. So do I.
0 Replies

Enaj

Fri 28 Feb, 2014 03:27 pm
@Frank Apisa,
SmileSmileSmileSmileSmile
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Fri 28 Feb, 2014 03:39 pm
Quote:
Frank Apisa said: EARTH CALLING ROMEO...come in please:
Romeo...the only place you can find out anything about the god Jesus worshiped...
...IS IN THE NEW TESTAMENT.
I realize you guys want to distance yourself from that god...
...but that ain't gonna work.

I think you meant to say OLD TESTAMENT mate? I hope you're more on the ball in sunday school..Smile
I got no beef with the OT God, he HAD to be like a tough schoolmaster in those ancient barbaric heathen times to get through their thick skulls to earn their respect.
"The law brought us to Christ like a schoolmaster, but now through Christ we are not under that schoolmaster" (Gal 3:22-25)

Likewise, when Riker joined Klingon vessel Pagh on an exchange visit as 1st Officer he had to punch and throw stroppy Klingon 2nd Officer Klag across the bridge to get the attention and respect of him and the rest of the Klingon crew.
When God later felt the time was right to package himself in a softer way to more advanced peoples, he gave us Jesus who came not to abolish the OT wholesale, but to show us how to apply its rules with enlightened goodnatured commonsense.
Remember, Jesus saves, not the OT ..Wink
Right Klag?

"Grrrr..."
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/klagB.gif
spendius

Fri 28 Feb, 2014 03:53 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
but the New T is like the newer Windows 7..

That's a prophesy, Romeo, that the New Testament will soon be outdated.
Romeo Fabulini

Fri 28 Feb, 2014 04:07 pm
@spendius,
Incidentally Microsoft are phasing out support for Win XP in April 2014, it's served me well for 5 years but I suppose I'll have to upgrade.
I've been asking around the PC Help forums and the consensus is "avoid Vista and get Win 7, don't plump for Win 8.1 because it's too new and might still have issues to be worked out of it"
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 28 Feb, 2014 04:09 pm
@Germlat,
Quote:
If not I would've been burned at the stake for my chosen profession.

Had that been the case, Germie, I suppose you would have chosen another profession.

I imagine the purpose of the punishment was to diminish the numbers practicing the profession because they were considered a menace to the project which has resulted, in 2014 where you are, in what you see around you. And those who must have considered them a menace were the only ones who considered who was a menace or not. Other alternatives, easier to think up, having been tried and failed.

And avarice to the east getting stronger and stronger.

What profession is it that was once so frowned upon?
0 Replies

Germlat

Fri 28 Feb, 2014 06:52 pm
@spendius,
So do you seriously think people sending money to tele evangelists are doing it for entertainment value? I think the comparison to the Beatles is simplistic to say the least. The Catholic Church at one point sold "blessed items" , and salvation knowing it was all b.s., but people didn't know that. I think it's outrageous to sell "salvation" or such lies. I'm not disregarding the beneficial social component to having a religious affiliation. I'm hoping you're playing devil's advocate, rather than dismissing the wrongdoing of some of these "ethical" institutions.
0 Replies

neologist

Fri 28 Feb, 2014 07:09 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
That's a prophesy, Romeo, that the New Testament will soon be outdated.
I did not know you had read the book of Revelation.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Fri 28 Feb, 2014 07:36 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

EARTH CALLING ROMEO...come in please:

Romeo...the only place you can find out anything about the god Jesus worshiped...

There's one other place you can find it... in the imagination of the believers. We see it demonstrated all the time. They see what they wish to see and hear what they wish to hear. The Bible is just a Rorschach ink blot. Each interpretation exists only in the mind of the believer.
Calamity Dal

Fri 28 Feb, 2014 09:02 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo in another thread wrote:
Jesus TRASHED the harshness of the Old Testament

Romeo in this thread wrote:
Jesus who came not to abolish the OT

Sorry Mick I'm getting mixed signals here
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Fri 28 Feb, 2014 09:35 pm
Quote:
Calamity said: Romeo in another thread wrote: Jesus TRASHED the harshness of the Old Testament
Romeo in this thread wrote: Jesus who came not to abolish the OT

Sorry Mick I'm getting mixed signals here

GET ON HERE THIS INSTANT YOU NAUGHTY GIRL for deliberately and wilfully leaving the word "wholesale" off my second sentence!
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/naughty-step_zpseb4d36c1.jpg~original

As I brilliantly pointed out, Jesus came to trash ONLY the harshness, of the OT, he had no beef with the rest of it..Smile

-----------------------------------------------------

Romeo: the invincible Iron Man of the debating forum circuit!
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/POS-swagger2_zps8e311a2c.jpg~original
spendius

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 05:34 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
They see what they wish to see and hear what they wish to hear.

That is exactly what those who use Ignore practice and I don't use it. I think Ignore should not be available.

ros uses it. fm uses it sporadically. Setanta uses it. ci. has used it.

And there are less formal ways of ignoring others. Pretending to be answering a post with insults for example. Scrolling past posts is another.

My request for a plausible alternative to Christianity which would have provided what we have today has been ignored. And for the obvious reason that there isn't one other than a continuation of what went on before Christianity.

It is very amusing that ros criticises behaviour which he relies upon himself. He must be impossible to communicate with on any other than his own terms. Science is out of sight for ros. Purloining a smidgin of the vocabulary of science is a standard procedure for dilettantes. Usually nothing but labels.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 07:18 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Frank Apisa said: EARTH CALLING ROMEO...come in please:
I realize you guys want to distance yourself from that god...
...but that ain't gonna work.

I think you meant to say OLD TESTAMENT mate? I hope you're more on the ball in sunday school..Smile

Ooops, my bad. Yes, I did mean Old Testament!

I musta been in a hurry.

Anyway...you guys are stuck with that monster from the Old Testament. That was my point.

0 Replies

Calamity Dal

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 09:11 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
As I brilliantly pointed out, Jesus came to trash ONLY the harshness, of the OT, he had no beef with the rest of it

so your jesus thought your god was harsh?
Setanta

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 09:37 am
In the King James version:

For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. (Matthew Chapter 5, Verse 18.)

Christians start to dance and jive about whether or not "all" was fulfilled, but the text of scripture shows that your boy Jesus was not out to "trash" any part of his native religion.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 09:40 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

As I brilliantly pointed out, Jesus came to trash ONLY the harshness, of the OT, he had no beef with the rest of it..Smile

According to Jesus however, he was not here to trash ANY part of it.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets. I have come, not to abolish them, but to fulfill them. Of this much I assure you; UNTIL HEAVEN AND EARTH PASS AWAY, not the smallest letter of the law, not the smallest part of a letter shall be done away with until it all comes true." Matthew 5:17ff

But since you have contradicted Jesus...I guess you are expecting us to disregard what Jesus said...and instead take your word for it.
0 Replies

neologist

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 10:34 am
@Calamity Dal,
Ah, Romeo, Romeo, whoever art thou, Romeo?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Sat 1 Mar, 2014 11:38 am
@Frank Apisa,
The three big problems which most people have with religion are, in something like this order:

1. The problem of evil.
2. The theory of evolution.
3. The book of Joshua (and/or other Bible sections showing Jahveh behaving in a manner at odds with modern notions of ethics.

You seem to be hung up on item 3. Understanding what goes into those parts of the Bible is a long story and involves the nature of ancient religions, which were substantially different from modern religion as well as from the religion of the later parts of the Old Testament.

All ancient religions were astral in nature, i.e. they worshiped things which they observed in the sky, particularly the two dwarf stars, Jupiter and Saturn. Jahveh is the same basic word as 'Jove', another name for Jupiter; you can convince yourself that 'El' meant Saturn by doing Google searches on 'El Saturn Babylon' and you have to include the term 'Babylon' to weed out the hits on the GM Saturn car dealerships.

Israelites were the first group of people to figure out that they should no longer be worshiping dwarf stars, i.e. that was the best case; worst case was Lithuanians who were still worshiping Odin (Saturn) at the time of the crusades.

Plato's dialogs indicate that he understood the difference between God (the author of our living world) and the dwarf star/polytheistic deities but, when you read some of the worst stuff in the Bible, there is a question in places as to who is speaking. I use the term 'Book of Joshua' as a metaphor for that stuff because the tale of the destruction of the city of Ai is virtually indistinguishable from the tale of the destruction of Lioyang by the Mongols under Jebe.

By the time you get to Jesus of course, all of that stuff is gone. The God who Jesus worships does not engage in any indefensible behavior, nor does Jesus.