edgarblythe

Sat 2 Jul, 2011 07:06 pm
@ossobuco,
My nearest neighbor is from Japan. Her husband was a writer but he died several years back. The widow has been as good as any neighbor could be. Her only fault (as a neighbor) she does not like animals. There was a bird nest in one of my trees and I enjoyed having the bird for a neighbor. Came home one day and the nest had been torn from the tree. I can't prove she did it, but - Anyway, she is all right but for that.
reasoning logic

Sat 2 Jul, 2011 08:02 pm
@ossobuco,
You are close 4 and a half 45
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Sat 2 Jul, 2011 08:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
I can not help but to wonder why you think she hates animals!
0 Replies

FBM

Sat 2 Jul, 2011 09:37 pm
To no one in particular: I just read a post elsewhere in response to the claim that atheism is a religion. It went something like, "Atheism is a religion like 'Off" is a TV channel."

I like that.
reasoning logic

Sat 2 Jul, 2011 09:41 pm
@FBM,
I liked that as well !
Ionus

Sat 2 Jul, 2011 09:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
There was a bird nest in one of my trees
What kind of bird ? In Shintoism it mat have had bad spirits... or just plain noisy... or her ex-husband liked it and she couldnt handle the reminders... or anyone of ten thousand reasons .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 2 Jul, 2011 10:46 pm
@FBM,
Off means nothing at all. Makes sense.
FBM

Sat 2 Jul, 2011 10:51 pm
@reasoning logic,
and edgar:

I just wish I could claim it as my own, but honesty prevents. Dadburn atheist morality...
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Sat 2 Jul, 2011 11:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
If everything was as logical as that I would have had no problem finding my lemon juice today for what I am using to cook with at a store that I do not shop at often.
It was on the most logical isle {in my opinion} but for some reason I was not using logic when I was looking for it!
What do you think would be the most logical isle for lemon juice to be on?
0 Replies

failures art

Sat 2 Jul, 2011 11:33 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

To no one in particular: I just read a post elsewhere in response to the claim that atheism is a religion. It went something like, "Atheism is a religion like 'Off" is a TV channel."

I like that.

I just added this to the hobby thread.

A
R
T
0 Replies

roger

Sat 2 Jul, 2011 11:42 pm
@FBM,
I believe it was on this very thread that likened atheism as a religion to NOT collecting stamps as a hobby.

I apologize or not looking up the poster that wrote that.
FBM

Sun 3 Jul, 2011 01:36 am
@roger,
Found it: http://www.atheistforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=26106&start=225
Setanta

Sun 3 Jul, 2011 03:00 am
@FBM,
That is so bizarre, to my way of thinking. Why would i go to an atheist forum? What would be the point? Do they sit around propping up one another's egos? Do they have protracted discussions of what they don't believe? A thread on the subject is enough for me, and we get trolls enough in here as it is. I look in about once a month these days.
FBM

Sun 3 Jul, 2011 03:48 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

That is so bizarre, to my way of thinking. Why would i go to an atheist forum? What would be the point?

After 87 posts, I asked myself the same question. I wouldn't have made it that far if not for a couple of threads about Buddhism.

Quote:
Do they sit around propping up one another's egos?

Pretty much, yeah.

Quote:
Do they have protracted discussions of what they don't believe?

In excruciating detail, yes.

Quote:
A thread on the subject is enough for me, and we get trolls enough in here as it is. I look in about once a month these days.

I just dropped in to plant the "Is OFF a TV channel" thing because I thought it was unusually witty and concise. I occasionally have something to say on the topic, but it's far from being my raison d'ĂȘtre, like it seems to be for some.
Setanta

Sun 3 Jul, 2011 03:57 am
@FBM,
Dropping off clever remarks is about all that's left of this thread, now that the christians and the trolls have trashed it. As it was, the original intention was no barn burner--just to discuss the experience of being an atheist, and that topic was pretty well exhausted early in the thread, despite the trolls.

It reminds me of the organized atheist groups i have encountered from time to time in my life. I never "got" them. I hate to use such a trite expression, but for those who are not fanatics, those who are not making a religion of being an atheist, the idea of organizing atheists is akin to attempting to herd cats.
FBM

Sun 3 Jul, 2011 04:03 am
@Setanta,
What you said wrt the topic being exhausted seems to apply to most threads after about 2~3 pages, and wrt herding cats to most groups of people. Wink

I teach English in Korea; if that's not cat herding, I don't know what is...
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 3 Jul, 2011 04:10 am
Korea is a beautiful country, though . . . i envy you that . . .
FBM

Sun 3 Jul, 2011 04:14 am
@Setanta,
That it is. And a beautiful people, mostly.
Setanta

Sun 3 Jul, 2011 04:16 am
@FBM,
I found the Koreans to be, largely, honest, friendly and eternally cheerful.
FBM

Sun 3 Jul, 2011 04:30 am
@Setanta,
For the most part, all you have to do is be polite and you gain their goodwill. Sad that so many foreigners over here can't even manage that. You military? Peace Corps?