Setanta

Sun 3 Jul, 2011 04:46 am
@FBM,
Eighth army. At one time, i could speak enough Korean to get by, and had learned the various forms of address--that for dogs and children, the one for one's social equals, and the formal forms of address for the elderly. I got so i could read the schedule boards in the bus stations, too. Their long distance busess were sheer luxury--they even had stewardesses who would pass out, with a genuine smile, those truly awful hard candies they seem to love.
FBM

Sun 3 Jul, 2011 05:00 am
@Setanta,
Yep, that's one of the ways of showing basic courtesy: make an effort at the language of the country you're in. 잘했나 봐요. Sorry to say that there are no more attendants on the buses, but that hideous "candy" is still around. Wink
0 Replies

hingehead

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 04:58 pm
I didn't know anything about this:
http://ledgemovie.com/

Anyone seen or care to comment?

edgarblythe

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 05:59 pm
@hingehead,
I guess I am too dense to get much out of the trailer. That doesn't mean I would not watch it. I just ain't sure.
Setanta

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 06:02 pm
Honestly, although the motion picture might prove entertaining, i thought that "the Broke Back Mountain for atheists" bullshit was really lame.
hingehead

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 07:09 pm
@Setanta,
I agree with you Set, that tag line sucks dogs balls. I haven't seen the movie but from the clips it strikes me that the theist/atheist stuff isn't even really central to the plot. Cuckolded husband forces cuckolder to suicide to save lover's life (just guessing but that's how it looks)
hingehead

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 07:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
Agreed - not really sure why the odd atheist celebrity (Stephen Fry in my case) is getting behind it 'for all atheists'.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 6 Jul, 2011 07:19 pm
@hingehead,
Yeah, that's how i took it, too. That's a pretty lame attempt to link it to atheism.
0 Replies

hingehead

Mon 1 Aug, 2011 09:00 pm
These Atheist Billboards in Brazil Get Right to the Point

And I needed to learn a bit of Portuguese anyway.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 1 Aug, 2011 09:10 pm
How many is a brazillion?
ossobuco

Mon 1 Aug, 2011 09:15 pm
I'm trying to keep myself quiet about an article I read in Gawker today. So far so good.
Even the url is inflammatory..
http://gawker.com/5825254/the-catholic-churchs-secret-gay-cabal

Ok, so, not quiet, but not starting a thread on it.
0 Replies

hingehead

Mon 1 Aug, 2011 09:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
George W Joke!
edgarblythe

Mon 1 Aug, 2011 09:33 pm
@hingehead,
But it's independently funny.
0 Replies

hingehead

Mon 8 Aug, 2011 09:26 pm
Tonight is census night in Oz. There's a bit of a facebook push for people without religion to actually write 'no religion' - instead of the usual 'whatever church your parents had you christened in that you never attended again' or 'jedi' or 'pastafarian'. Noble and sensible enough but, as the following author notes, in danger of being hijacked by 'organised atheism'.

Quote:
'No religion' belongs to the unspoken for [click to see full article]
When I attempt the fraught task of putting self to paper this census, I'll be muttering an aimless prayer before reluctantly crossing 'no religion'.

But please, don't read too much into it. It tells you what I'm not and nothing more.

Nevertheless, I fear my X may be hijacked for irreligious - that is, anti-religious - purposes.

This I speculate because the 'no religion' response has found its champion in the Atheist Foundation of Australia.
0 Replies

hingehead

Mon 8 Aug, 2011 09:27 pm
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/religions.png
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 8 Aug, 2011 09:31 pm
<peak>

Hi everyone. It looks like it's pleasant in here again....
hingehead

Mon 8 Aug, 2011 09:43 pm
@littlek,
Ok, you can come in, but lock the door behind you!
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:27 am
@littlek,
I suppose if nothing much doing is "pleasant" littlek must not have much interest in A2K's reputation or advertising revenue. Nothing doing from July 6 to Aug 1 and then a spurt of dross is not going to sell anything.

It looks like aetheists fear the rising of the hackles. One X on one census form eh?

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 9 Aug, 2011 05:16 pm
From PDiddie's blog:
The Fox News Facebook page got over 8,000 death threats posted on its wall after the communications director for the group American Atheists, Blair Scott, appeared on the network’s “America Live” discussing the group’s lawsuit hoping to stop the erection of a crucifix at the World Trade Center Memorial.

The admins of Fox’s Facebook page worked furiously to delete the hateful posts, but not before the atheist blogger behind One Man’s Blog managed to capture screenshots, some of which we’ve reproduced below.

http://www.allfacebook.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/xians.png

Organizers of the 9/11 museum feel that the cross, which is a symbol of hope for many, should have a place at the memorial. And then there are those other folks who passionately disagree with Scott’s group and who are behaving in a manner that is contrary to their religion fundamentals.

Christians are up in arms about Blair’s television appearance and have waged an all-out war against his possibly blocking the memorial’s plans. Reportedly, by the time Blair returned to his office, his voicemail was full to capacity with threat messages from Christians who were seething with hatred.
edgarblythe

Tue 9 Aug, 2011 05:18 pm
Speaking for myself, I don't really care if they have a cross on there or not.