JTT

Tue 30 Nov, 2010 08:59 pm
@Eorl,
Quote:
you'd not be able to cast your Mind back that far, since you'd be stuck just casting...

Specially if you were hit with early onset dementia.
Eorl

Tue 30 Nov, 2010 09:40 pm
@JTT,
And the biblical god is showing all the symptoms!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 1 Dec, 2010 12:19 am
@edgarblythe,
I agree; we are our own god at the mercy of nature. If we are fortunate to have been born with all of our biology that's considered normal, and are born in a country that provides all the opportunities for education and work, we are the fortunate ones.
spendius

Wed 1 Dec, 2010 04:40 am
@cicerone imposter,
There you go folks. The Original Garden of Ignorance. It all grows on trees. It hasn't been made to happen at all. The Western lifestyle is just "there". No credit due to anyone. Just luck. Simply poofed into existence.

It shows how foreign travel broadens the mind and keeps one in touch with the real world.
edgarblythe

Wed 1 Dec, 2010 02:52 pm
The woman I described earlier (the one that wrote a letter expressing the need to move this country under godly rule) stopped me on the sidewalk today. She told me her friend was undergoing surgery at that very minute. She began the conversation by asking me to pray for him. Ultimately, she said, "Let's pray for him right now." I considered faking it, but that avenue would lead to any number of tangled scenarios, particularly since I no longer have a grasp of the proper way to do it. "I don't have time right now," I protested. She said, "Well, I know you will pray for him." I mumbled something and we each went our way.
Eorl

Wed 1 Dec, 2010 03:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
Wow. I can't imagine living that way. Here, it's generally the Christians that feel the pressure to stay closeted.
Setanta

Wed 1 Dec, 2010 03:15 pm
The nut jobs go door to door, and will accost strangers in public. Fortunately, it's not an every day thing. EB's problem is that he already knows the woman, and is being polite.
0 Replies

JTT

Wed 1 Dec, 2010 03:20 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
There you go folks. The Original Garden of Ignorance. It all grows on trees. It hasn't been made to happen at all. The Western lifestyle is just "there". No credit due to anyone. Just luck. Simply poofed into existence.

CI didn't say that, but you already knew that before you posted, didn't you, Spendi?
JTT

Wed 1 Dec, 2010 03:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
particularly since I no longer have a grasp of the proper way to do it.

Let me help you with the proper way, Ed.

[look her in the eye] Take your stupid ******* ['*******' is optional] religious nonsense and stick it [you know lots of phrases that could go here, Ed]
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Wed 1 Dec, 2010 04:02 pm
@Eorl,
This is why a thread such as this is important. Many atheists are isolated in their part of the world.
0 Replies

Thomas

Wed 1 Dec, 2010 04:07 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Crap. That's not easy. I'm in the atheistagnostic closet with my family. I cringe whenever those "post this if you love Jesus" waves comes around...

Now, how about that? As soon as I accepted her friend request, one of the first posts on her wall was a viral post with this exact text! How did you know?

Nothing unpleasant so far, though.
spendius

Wed 1 Dec, 2010 04:15 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
CI didn't say that, but you already knew that before you posted, didn't you, Spendi?

He most certainly did.
eurocelticyankee

Wed 1 Dec, 2010 04:22 pm
In a 1631 edition of the King James Bible – in Exodus 20 verse 14 – the word “not” was left out. This changed the 7th commandment to read – “Thou shalt commit adultery.” Most of the copies were recalled immediately and destroyed on the orders of Charles I. But there are 11 copies still remaining. They are known as the “Wicked Bible.” (The Bible museum in Branson – Missouri has one on display.) The printer was fined the equivalent of $400.

The word “not” was also left out in the 1653 edition. In 1 Corinthians 6 verse 9 it was printed: “Know ye not that the unrighteous shall inherit the kingdom of God” – instead of “Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God.” Again it was recalled immediately (dashing the hopes of many!). It is known as the “Unrighteous Bible.”

The Murderer’s Bible – printed in 1801 – declared: “these are murderers” (instead of murmurers) and continued – “let the children first be killed” (instead of “filled.”)

Perhaps the error in Psalm 119 verse 161 in a 1702 version summed it all up: instead of “princes” it read – “printers have persecuted me.” It is known as the Printer’s Bible.

Just to highlight the frailties of anything man touch's.
And just remember who wrote and edited the bible you swear an oath on today. MAN not god.
ossobuco

Wed 1 Dec, 2010 04:29 pm
@panzade,
"I never quite understood why Christians can dismiss 100 gods and I'm reprehensible because I dismiss 101."

So true, I completely agree conceptually, except that I do understand it. It has to do with emotion, invested.

Or not. My mother was somewhat anti protestant, as a very religious boston catholic irish lass in the early 1900's. But my mother and dad had mix it up friends so I somehow didn't have a berserko railing against others thing as I snuck into the world to meet all those others, by way of reading and going to school. But, in retrospect, much more my dad. I think of him now as agnostic, though not sure.
ossobuco

Wed 1 Dec, 2010 05:00 pm
@Thomas,
I'm not in the closet with my family. My most religious cousins probably pray for me among others, but don't even try to argue me out of my ways, nor do I natter at theirs. That batch of cousins and I also differ politically. We like what we like about each other and don't go for the undercut. This would probably differ if we saw each other every day. They are also neater people. Viva la differance (I say in poor french).

Alternately, I think my atheism is a problem for my least religion practicing cousins, the leader of which takes my lack of belief as arrogant, and then probably hinges on to that all sorts of early life reasons she resented me. I didn't have excema, for example. Well, she did have a hard time, well self observed - which is not derogatory, just that she has elaborate memories of all that. We had gotten to be friends in the meantime, but resentment seems to have won out, against the first mentioned cousins and myself.

She has turned into a sort of guru in a certain kind of psychotherapy in her own way, and I'm starting to think of her as woo-hoo, in a sort of control mania.

So: vast differences in ideology can be bridged, but longtime resentments enhance whatever ideology disagreements occur.
I suppose this can be especially true in academia.
George

Wed 1 Dec, 2010 05:41 pm
@ossobuco,
osso wrote:
So: vast differences in ideology can be bridged, but longtime resentments
enhance whatever ideology disagreements occur.
I suppose this can be especially true in academia.

Or wherever two or more are gathered . . .
0 Replies

panzade

Wed 1 Dec, 2010 05:43 pm
@ossobuco,
interesting melange osso
0 Replies

JTT

Wed 1 Dec, 2010 06:15 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
He most certainly did.

Quote:
CI wrote: I agree; we are our own god at the mercy of nature. If we are fortunate to have been born with all of our biology that's considered normal, and are born in a country that provides all the opportunities for education and work, we are the fortunate ones.

Quote:
Spendi replied: There you go folks. The Original Garden of Ignorance. It all grows on trees. It hasn't been made to happen at all. The Western lifestyle is just "there". No credit due to anyone. Just luck. Simply poofed into existence.

CI didn't say anything about anything growing on trees. He didn't discount the fact that there were others before him who made the situation that he could be born into. In fact, he specifically recognized this, and I quote, "born in a country that provides all the opportunities for education and work".

The luck was his being born into this relatively easy situation, which he noted made him one of the fortunate ones.

He most certainly didn't suggest that anything was "simply poofed into existence".

You read things in that weren't there and you made gigantic leaps of illogic.
JTT

Wed 1 Dec, 2010 06:17 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Quote:
The printer was fined the equivalent of $400.

I guess killing him wasn't an appropriate option considering, is it two commandments previous to the 7th?
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 1 Dec, 2010 06:19 pm
@JTT,
Suit yourself JT. He is engaged in belittling the process which allowed him to feel so fortunate. He needs to think it was a happy accident. He has no explanation of how it would have occured otherwise.