Yes.
Yes you are.

Thanks mate. Merry X-mas to you.
JTT

Wed 1 Dec, 2010 06:58 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Suit yourself JT.

I'm not suiting myself, Spendi. I'm stating the facts; something that you are completely aware of.

Quote:
He is engaged in belittling the process which allowed him to feel so fortunate.

As I noted, he belittled no one, he belittled not at all.

He noted,

"and are born in a country that provides all the opportunities for education and work,"
0 Replies

Ionus

Wed 1 Dec, 2010 07:20 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Quote:
And just remember who wrote and edited the bible you swear an oath on today.
I always argue with Christians that if the Bible is the word of God why is it in hundreds of languages spread over thousands of years and so reliant on humans to translate it. Humans cant do anything without error. Perfect God, perfect message, imperfect medium, imperfect man....how is that supposed to be a literal truth at our end ?
panzade

Wed 1 Dec, 2010 07:21 pm
@Ionus,
good question...
0 Replies

Ionus

Wed 1 Dec, 2010 07:23 pm
@panzade,
That was humuor - you can tell it was my joke because I was the only one laughing. Merry Christmas.
George

Wed 1 Dec, 2010 07:29 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

That was humuor - you can tell it was my joke because I was the only one laughing. Merry Christmas.

I know the feeling.
panzade

Wed 1 Dec, 2010 07:32 pm
@Ionus,
sometimes humour and breathtaking philosophy converge.
0 Replies

JPB

Wed 1 Dec, 2010 08:02 pm
@George,
too
0 Replies

failures art

Thu 2 Dec, 2010 05:32 am
For all the obstacles religion has made in the advances in life saving medicine (evolutionary theory and germ theory come to mind), it is particularly interesting to hear them say that there are no Atheists in fox holes. Because given a theist in a fox hole with their arm blown off by a grenade, they still for some reason yell for the Medic, not the Chaplain.

A
R
T
Ionus

Thu 2 Dec, 2010 05:40 am
@failures art,
Quote:
For all the obstacles religion has made in the advances in life saving medicine
Are you aware of the advances by Hindi and Muslim Doctors whilst Christians were struggling through the middle ages ? Are you aware of how many doctors and medical researchers believe in God ?

Quote:
evolutionary theory and germ theory come to mind
Germ theory was bitterly resisted by Doctors as superstition...so if anything religion was discounted as being counter productive. It was never involved.
Evolutionary Theory did not contribute to medicine.

Quote:
Because given a theist in a fox hole with their arm blown off by a grenade, they still for some reason yell for the Medic, not the Chaplain.
There is one Chaplain per battalion. There is one Medic per section. Also yelling for a Medic can get you help from a fellow soldier.
failures art

Thu 2 Dec, 2010 05:56 am
Richard Dawkins reads his hate mail...

Favorite line: "Your destiny is all fucked up!"

A
R
T
failures art

Thu 2 Dec, 2010 05:59 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
Evolutionary Theory did not contribute to medicine.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_AxBTNrKnDN8/SnMgiSQ0RKI/AAAAAAAAA0k/MibiMBElGYY/s400/jesus+facepalm.png
Facepalm.

A
R
T
eurocelticyankee

Thu 2 Dec, 2010 06:00 am
@failures art,
Really funny Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Thomas

Thu 2 Dec, 2010 06:02 am
@failures art,
"But there is indeed a god, a great god, and he will forgive you if you regret from your ******* behavior."

Priceless!
0 Replies

Ionus

Thu 2 Dec, 2010 06:03 am
@failures art,
Enlighten me Arty......
failures art

Thu 2 Dec, 2010 06:17 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Enlighten me Arty......

One can only try... Very Happy
wiki wrote:
Evolutionary medicine or Darwinian medicine is the application of modern evolutionary theory to understanding health and disease. It provides a complementary scientific approach to the present mechanistic explanations that dominate medical science, and particularly modern medical education. Researchers in the field of evolutionary medicine have suggested that evolutionary biology should not simply be an optional topic in medical school, but instead should be taught as one of the basic medical sciences.[1]
Such adaptations concern:
The evolution of pathogens in terms of their virulence, resistance to antibiotics, and subversion of an individual’s immune system.
The processes, constraints and trade-offs of human evolution.
The evolved responses that enable individuals to protect, heal and recuperate themselves from infections and injuries such as immunity, fever, and sickness behavior, and the processes that regulate their deployment to maximize fitness.
How past adaptation of early humans to their ancestral environment now affects contemporary humans with their different diet, life expectancy, degree of physical exercise, and hygiene.
Important researchers in evolutionary medicine include: Randolph M. Nesse, George C. Williams, Paul W. Ewald, James McKenna, and Rainer H. Straub.

Full entry here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_medicine

http://images.ucomics.com/comics/db/2006/db060702.gif

A
R
T
Setanta

Thu 2 Dec, 2010 06:21 am
"Um . . . what are the newer drugs like?"

"They're intelligently designed."

Now that was priceless . . .
0 Replies

Ionus

Thu 2 Dec, 2010 06:29 am
@failures art,
They have more to do with the discovery of anti-biotics, of DNA, of a thousand and one things before we get to attributing them to evolutionary theory. One way of tying it all together is evolutionary theory, but by itself it contributed nothing. Another way to tie it all together is the human body and no-one discovered that.
failures art

Thu 2 Dec, 2010 06:38 am
@Ionus,
So the way that bacteria, fungus, and viruses adapt has nothing to do with how we treat them?

You don't get it.

A
R
This went over your head.
Ionus

Thu 2 Dec, 2010 08:51 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
So the way that bacteria, fungus, and viruses adapt has nothing to do with how we treat them?
You do the math....how long ago was the theory of evolution formalised.......when did "germs" become anti-biotic resistant ?

Quote:
You don't get it.
No, Arty you dont get it. It is a label that means nothing but a way to hold things together. Think of it as a shopping trolley. You can put in it anything that you want to.

Quote:
This went over your head.
I would be surprised if it did...are you sure ?
0 Replies