Thomas

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:11 pm
@north,
north wrote:
and since you are interested in the History of religion I'm still trying to figure out why this matters in this thread called Atheism

It matters in the same way as the history of epidemies would matter in a thread about hygiene or public health.
north

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:15 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

north wrote:
and since you are interested in the History of religion I'm still trying to figure out why this matters in this thread called Atheism

It matters in the same way as the history of epidemies would matter in a thread about hygiene or public health.

how ?
failures art

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:18 pm
Surprised
R
T
0 Replies

Thomas

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:20 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:
I think that the domination of European history in world history classes is a means to place greater emphasis on the contributions of Christian nations.

What makes you think that? The ancestors of today's Americans come mostly from Europe, and the purpose of history classes arguably is to familiarize the students with their historical roots. So why wouldn't "world history" classes in America's schools be tilted towards European history?
Thomas

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:22 pm
@north,
north wrote:
how ?

Sorry, this was as clear as I could make it. If you didn't understand this analogy, there would be no use in my trying to explain it any other way.
Ionus

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:25 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
The culling of first born children (Hebrews and Egyptians).
I am aware of the exact opposite to the culling of first born children in those societies. Perhaps you mean Caananites, one branch of which were the Phonecians/Carthaginians.

Are you saying you support polytheism as a way of putting pressure on monotheists, thus furthering your position of being Agnostic ?
Ionus

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:27 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
So why wouldn't "world history" classes in America's schools be tilted towards European history?
I think they want to swap. It seems the world would be a lovely place of only people knew nothing about their own origins and more about the opposite side of the world. I take it they want China to learn about USA history and not their own.
0 Replies

north

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:31 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

north wrote:
how ?

Sorry, this was as clear as I could make it. If you didn't understand this analogy, there would be no use in my trying to explain it any other way.

well your not doing a good job , for what has this got to do with Atheism ?

again how ?
0 Replies

failures art

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:35 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

failures art wrote:
I think that the domination of European history in world history classes is a means to place greater emphasis on the contributions of Christian nations.

What makes you think that? The ancestors of today's Americans come mostly from Europe, and the purpose of history classes arguably is to familiarize the students with their historical roots. So why wouldn't "world history" classes in America's schools be tilted towards European history?

Your emphasis on "their," is the exact assumption we should be avoiding.

Black, Asian, and Latino students are not learning about their historical roots. They are learning about their white classmate's ancestors. Where their ancestors are mentioned is only in the most demeaning of ways if at all.

In the American school system from K - 12th grade you get the same history of the USA every year. Certainly by time we are talking about world history, we don't need to redundantly make US history the history of the world.

The history of Europeans is important. We will both agree on that. However, why not just call the class "European History" if that's going to be what is almost exclusively taught? Call it what it is, not what it pathetically is not: World history. A world history class would be more broad.

In HS, all of Asia got a 2 week unit. Africa and south America got a week a piece. Students don't need yet another year of history classes that redundantly talk about the achievements of European "explorers."

A
R
T
north

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:38 pm

people were going off in tangents
failures art

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:42 pm
@north,
This is a part of my experience as an atheist: Living in a society that finds way to congratulate religious colonialism. I'm offended by it.

A
Relevant in my opinion.
T
0 Replies

north

meanwhile , I , as an Atheist , could care less where religion came from , as interesting as it might be to some
0 Replies

Thomas

@failures art,
failures art wrote:
Black, Asian, and Latino students are not learning about their historical roots. They are learning about their white classmate's ancestors. Where their ancestors are mentioned is only in the most demeaning of ways if at all.

Fair enough. I choose the word "tilted towards" carefully. If other region's histories are completely ignored in "world history", I'd have a problem with that, too.
north

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:43 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

failures art wrote:

Fair enough. I choose the word "tilted towards" carefully. If other region's histories are completely ignored in "world history", I'd have a problem with that, too.

start a new thread then
0 Replies

north

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 08:02 pm

meanwhile Atheism is Atheism
0 Replies

littlek

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 08:07 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:

Are you saying you support polytheism as a way of putting pressure on monotheists, thus furthering your position of being Agnostic ?

um. No. And I'm not agnostic.
littlek

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 08:09 pm
North, who are you? And where did you come from? Why do you think you can run this thread? I tried and it didn't work. Meanwhile, loosen up a little.
Ionus

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 08:17 pm
@littlek,
Then why the interest in Polytheism ? If you are not Agnostic, may I enquire as to your beliefs ?
0 Replies

north

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 08:20 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

North, who are you? And where did you come from? Why do you think you can run this thread? I tried and it didn't work. Meanwhile, loosen up a little.

well are discussing Atheism or aren't we ?
littlek

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 08:23 pm
@north,
By all means, north, go ahead and start talking.