littlek wrote:

Oh, pardon me North..... <eye roll>

please answer my last posts question , to you
0 Replies

spendius

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 05:51 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
The only mention of indigenous peoples of these areas is to mention how they were almost effortlessly defeated by European "explorers."

Do you think the aboriginals of North America would have allowed your real estate deals if they had been attacked by bows and arrows?

Are you a Darwinian or not?
0 Replies

spendius

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 05:54 pm
@north,
Quote:
why would this be relevent to this discussion ?

There's no sense in worrying about that north. They make it up as they go along. There's no coherence.
0 Replies

littlek

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 05:55 pm
Darwin speaks to the way traits are selected by nature to strengthen certain characteristics. What does that have to do with the way europeans dealt with the native americans who were here before them? We're humans - all of us - we pride ourselves on being reasoning animals, not mindless.
spendius

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:12 pm
@littlek,
Yeah--well European technology strengthened "certain characteristics" and it's the reason you are occupying the land you are on. The only reason.
north

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:16 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Darwin speaks to the way traits are selected by nature to strengthen certain characteristics. What does that have to do with the way europeans dealt with the native americans who were here before them? We're humans - all of us - we pride ourselves on being reasoning animals, not mindless.

back then they about the power , intelligence , knowledge

they looked at Native People in North America as primate people ( we all are , and Natives had knowledge of their own to respect , we just didn't respect this knowledge , hence the failer of the English Artic Expedition lead by Franklin )

nowadays we know better ... I should hope anyway
littlek

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:18 pm
@spendius,
And? You seem to think that means something to me.
spendius

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:24 pm
@littlek,
No I don't really. You are obviously in denial.
littlek

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:27 pm
@spendius,
What am I in denial of? Educate me.
spendius

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:29 pm
@littlek,
That your lifestyle is based on good old Darwinian determinism.
littlek

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:36 pm
@spendius,
I am still not able to connect your seemingly scattered dots, Spendi.
north

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:44 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

I am still not able to connect your seemingly scattered dots, Spendi.

care to answer my question ?
edgarblythe

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:50 pm
@north,
north wrote:

littlek wrote:

I for one wanted to know much more about the first civilizations. There was mention of the Indus River civilizations, but no discussion on the region..... yet. maybe it's coming.

North, it is not for me to speak up for littlek, but the stated purpose of this thread is for atheists to have conversations and exchange information, and so forth. In that context, it is perfectly fine for her to post as she did.
north

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

north wrote:

littlek wrote:

I for one wanted to know much more about the first civilizations. There was mention of the Indus River civilizations, but no discussion on the region..... yet. maybe it's coming.

North, it is not for me to speak up for littlek, but the stated purpose of this thread is for atheists to have conversations and exchange information, and so forth. In that context, it is perfectly fine for her to post as she did.

that she does't have to answer my question ?

why ?
0 Replies

Thomas

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:56 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:
So, the 6th graders are studying World History 101. We started with our earliest ancestors and are now up through Sumer, Babylonia, Assyria and New Babylonia. We've begun with Phoenicia and started in on the Hebrews. We are suddenly in what seems to me like Sunday School.

In what way does it seem like Sunday School? Do they glorify the ancient Hebrews?
0 Replies

littlek

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:56 pm
@north,
OK, though your attitude is annoying.

I sit in the classroom listening to the teachers talk about the horrible things that people have done in the name of religion (it all started with monotheism). The culling of first born children (Hebrews and Egyptians). I feel uncomfortable myself with the Sunday School quality of it and I am doubly uncomfortable when I have to explain religion to a kid who has apparently been raised without it in his life. I posted that I was interested in learning about other regions because I am interested in the origins of religion and how and why they became so prevalent in our world. I'm pretty sure that the Indus Valley region stayed polytheistic for quite a lot longer and wonder why we seem to have skipped over them.
littlek

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:57 pm
Thanks Ed... no worries.

Thomas - see my above post. Also, we watched the Prince of Egypt in class. I feel that the movie is pushing it.
0 Replies

north

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:02 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

OK, though your attitude is annoying.

I sit in the classroom listening to the teachers talk about the horrible things that people have done in the name of religion (it all started with monotheism). The culling of first born children (Hebrews and Egyptians). I feel uncomfortable myself with the Sunday School quality of it and I am doubly uncomfortable when I have to explain religion to a kid who has apparently been raised without it in his life. I posted that I was interested in learning about other regions because I am interested in the origins of religion and how and why they became so prevalent in our world. I'm pretty sure that the Indus Valley region stayed polytheistic for quite a lot longer and wonder why we seem to have skipped over them.

I agree , so whats your problem with what I said then ?

and since you are interested in the History of religion I'm still trying to figure out why this matters in this thread called Atheism

whats the connection here ?
littlek

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:10 pm
@north,
It's not about whether you agree or not. I just didn't like your 'tone'. Maybe you've spent too much time on this somewhat toxic thread.

Atheists live in a world dominated by religion - it's a know your enemy kind of thing.
failures art

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 07:10 pm
I think that the domination of European history in world history classes is a means to place greater emphasis on the contributions of Christian nations. I wonder if Americans would have a greater empathy for the people of Iraq or Afghanistan if they had any sort of education on the cultures and history of these places.

The tacit implication of curriculum like these is that western expansion and the colonizations by white Christians was a good thing. I also feel like by emphasizing only Christian nations, it becomes a way to apply praise to Christianity and marginalize other cultures.

A
R
T