spendius

Thu 18 Nov, 2010 06:24 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Don't slander Kassandra by comparing her to that gobshite. And a big difference is that Kassandra happened to have been right.

I presume, unless Setanta is the type who only engages in boxing matches when his opponent is tied up, that I have been granted permission to insult back.

I think Setanta is a blockhead, a numbskull, a doddypole, a dunderhead, a ninnygump, a goosecap, a nincompoop, a ****-a-bed, of the thin runny type, and everything, and more, like fuckwit, that the cake-bakers of Lerne cast into the teeth of King Gargantua's shepherds and if anybody ever gave him a certificate to certify his academic excellence they did not know what they were about like a virgin who knows she is being fucked but doesn't know why.
spendius

Thu 18 Nov, 2010 06:28 pm
@spendius,
I forgot to mention that Francois used the comparison to suggest I might be right. As Cassandra was despite being on Ignore.

Just think--Ignore goes back to Apollo. Some progress we are making. Darwin would be disgusted.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:08 pm
Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color. - Don Hirschberg
Joe Nation

Thu 18 Nov, 2010 09:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Excellent.
Joe(we should do a series of these)Nation
failures art

Thu 18 Nov, 2010 09:20 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Excellent.

Actually, I already have a thread going on this idea...
R
T
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 18 Nov, 2010 10:25 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Excellent.

http://able2know.org/topic/121601-1
Check this thread.
0 Replies

Ionus

Fri 19 Nov, 2010 03:19 am
@cicerone imposter,
The oceans have been 5m higher and 60m lower. Neither extremes were caused by man. Which one do you prefer...low tide 5m higher than the worlds reefs, or high tide 60m lower than the worlds reefs ?

Quote:
Places like Venice is doomed.
No-one lives in Venice. The locals got sick of all the tourists and moved out of the canal area.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 19 Nov, 2010 08:33 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color. - Don Hirschberg.

As Joe says ed --you should do a double act on TV. You do all the witticisms, like that one, and Joe says--"we should do a series on TV." And you say "but we're on TV." And Joe says--" I know--it's our catchphrase. People know who we are because we are the guys who said "we should do a series on TV" first on TV just as Don Hirschberg is known for the catchphrase "calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color" and if it catches on, like catchphrases do, people will use it in pubs and places when somebody cracks a witty and they will think of us."

The only trouble is that bald is a hairstyle. It is chosen. Everybody has hair. Some shave it off because they are going grey or showing signs of baldness or wanting to look brutal or having nits or dandruff or because some lady insists upon it. And even then they only look bald. Scientifically there are still little stubbles sticking out despite being invisible to casual onlookers. And they have colour. So Hirschberg's analogy is one with Atheism as a truncated colour of hairstyle, as Atheism is a truncated religion, and only works as he intended for casual observers and thus for the furtherance of casual observation if casual observers become influential which is inimical to the scientific method.

So you couldn't go on TV with anything so witless that it contradicts the point it is trying to make.
cicerone imposter

Fri 19 Nov, 2010 10:42 am
@spendius,
spendi, You're the one who needs to go on tv to show your ignorance and wit. All your blabberings will have no meaning, but I'm sure the Brits will understand what you mean - especially those that you call friends at the local pub.
0 Replies

north

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 03:57 pm

atheism , is it not just that

meaning , no belief in god or god in our actions and life

littlek

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 04:37 pm
@north,
Well, yeah, that's what atheists believe. Unfortunately, theists don't quite get it.
farmerman

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 04:47 pm
@littlek,
welcome back to your thread. Did you envision all this?
0 Replies

littlek

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 04:51 pm
All of it since I abandoned it, or all of it from the very start? I do peek back in to see if I want to dive in again..... I have a couple of times.
littlek

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 04:57 pm
So, the 6th graders are studying World History 101. We started with our earliest ancestors and are now up through Sumer, Babylonia, Assyria and New Babylonia. We've begun with Phoenicia and started in on the Hebrews. We are suddenly in what seems to me like Sunday School.
farmerman

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 04:59 pm
@littlek,
Mostly as it has evolved throughout. I get a kick out of the arguments that pop up and go off a wall for a while and then it goes off in another direction.

The reigning string seems to be that the religious folk feel put upon . Its like someone busting into my cell phone line and then getting all "foxfyre" when I tell em to get lost.
failures art

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 05:02 pm
@littlek,
I'm always amazed that cultures with the longest recored history get a precious moment of time in "world history" class, and how we seem to drone on and on and on about European history.

East Asia?
Africa?
South America?

hardly...

It seems really important to talk about the expansion of Christian nations. The only mention of indigenous peoples of these areas is to mention how they were almost effortlessly defeated by European "explorers."

A
[/Rant]
T
north

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 05:26 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Mostly as it has evolved throughout. I get a kick out of the arguments that pop up and go off a wall for a while and then it goes off in another direction.

The reigning string seems to be that the religious folk feel put upon . Its like someone busting into my cell phone line and then getting all "foxfyre" when I tell em to get lost.

but what is the reason you tell them to get lost ?

just asking.....
0 Replies

littlek

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 05:33 pm
@failures art,
I for one wanted to know much more about the first civilizations. There was mention of the Indus River civilizations, but no discussion on the region..... yet. maybe it's coming.
north

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 05:43 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

I for one wanted to know much more about the first civilizations. There was mention of the Indus River civilizations, but no discussion on the region..... yet. maybe it's coming.

why would this be relevent to this discussion ?
littlek

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 05:44 pm
@north,
Oh, pardon me North..... <eye roll>