Intrepid

Wed 17 Nov, 2010 05:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

spendi:
Quote:
Do you think Christianity a big mistake?

All religions are a big mistake. Spending time to placate gods is a waste of time; **** happens whether people believe in gods or not.

Then why not allow those who wish to believe to do so without comdemnation and ridicule?
cicerone imposter

Wed 17 Nov, 2010 05:25 pm
@Intrepid,
Oh, but they do! Don't ever fear religion will disappear any time soon. Humans are hooked.
Intrepid

Wed 17 Nov, 2010 05:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Oh, but they do! Don't ever fear religion will disappear any time soon. Humans are hooked.

Have you considered that there is a reason for that?
cicerone imposter

Wed 17 Nov, 2010 05:29 pm
@Intrepid,
Yes. Humans can't believe "we are it."
hingehead

Wed 17 Nov, 2010 05:32 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
CI wrote:
Humans are hooked
trep wrote:
Have you considered that there is a reason for that?

Well of course.

The diff is you think that shows how good/right religion is. Where as I draw parallels other things humans are 'hooked on' - like war, heroin, facile internet discussion boards, etc.
0 Replies

Ionus

Wed 17 Nov, 2010 05:47 pm
@failures art,
So after we finish saving everything to the point where evolution is stymied because we wont let things become extinct, what is your hope then ? That the earth wont end in a fireball of the sun's making ? That the second coming will save everyone....ooppss.....you arent like me are you....I dont know if there is or isnt a God. You believe there definitely isnt a God......maybe you hope that aliens will save us....a sort of poor man's science God.
spendius

Wed 17 Nov, 2010 05:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Don't ever fear religion will disappear any time soon. Humans are hooked.

That can only mean you are inhuman or subhuman, assuming superhuman is a religious idea.
Ionus

Wed 17 Nov, 2010 05:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Are you referring to Greek Gods, Roman Gods, Egyptian Gods...hell, a long list....or are you referring to science Gods.....Star Trek, Star Wars.....Atheism doesnt believe in hope but some have a science God that gives them hope. Atheists ? More like fools living in denial.
0 Replies

Ionus

Wed 17 Nov, 2010 05:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
The only hope I am missing is the misguided expectation of an afterlife. Since it ain't there anyway, why waste time pining for it?
As someone who changed their mind to be against the death penalty after their brother was murdered, I suggest you have more than your share of a fear of dying. But you know what ? You will die one day and it will all have been for nothing.
0 Replies

Ionus

Wed 17 Nov, 2010 05:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Wasn't exactly safe when christians persecuted heretics and non-believers - by the thousands. Islam is based on the same bible christians use; many verses are word-for-word, and we know of some of those countries that stone women to death for not covering up. It's also the same, one, god. Funny how that works!
What a scrambled load of garbage. You are an Agnostic because you want to be persecuted ?
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 17 Nov, 2010 05:56 pm
@spendius,
Your own personal religion I mean.

I can't understand why atheists don't get on with enjoying being atheists instead of spending their time obsessing about other people's futilities and addictions.
eurocelticyankee

Wed 17 Nov, 2010 05:57 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
Then why not allow those who wish to believe to do so without comdemnation and ridicule?

That's a two way street.
Ionus

Wed 17 Nov, 2010 05:59 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I can't understand why atheists don't get on with enjoying being atheists instead of spending their time obsessing about other people's futilities and addictions.
They are scared and want the reassurance of safety in numbers. Your basic herd instinct.
cicerone imposter

Wed 17 Nov, 2010 06:07 pm
@spendius,
spendi, Have you ever had an atheist knock on your door to "convert" you?
spendius

Wed 17 Nov, 2010 06:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I am against anybody knocking on my door unless it's a sexy broad weeping in sexual frustration and begging for relief.
msolga

Wed 17 Nov, 2010 06:10 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
They are scared and want the reassurance of safety in numbers. Your basic herd instinct.

Well in this particular case, on this particular thread, this was littlek's hoped-for intention:

Quote:
I know there are other threads about atheism, but they tend to be focused somewhat specifically to some argument or subtopic. I'd like this thread to be open for constructive conversation, sharing of ideas and resources, etc.

..and for a quite while that's what was occurring.
It had little to do with A2K atheists seeking "safety in numbers" or being "scared".
And it was great while it lasted!
I'd love for this thread to return to it's original purpose.
Is that too much to ask? Neutral

spendius

Wed 17 Nov, 2010 06:11 pm
@spendius,
You need a permit here to knock on folk's doors. And ID.
farmerman

Wed 17 Nov, 2010 06:13 pm
@spendius,
No just some manners
Ionus

Wed 17 Nov, 2010 06:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Have you ever had an atheist knock on your door to "convert" you?
Atheists only exist in a fools imagination. as for Agnostic conversion, yes all the time. The government is Agnostic, the television is Agnostic, consumerism is Agnostic.
Setanta

Wed 17 Nov, 2010 06:15 pm
@Intrepid,
Here we go again. You show up in a thread intended for discussion among atheists and whine about "condemnation and ridicule." Whose fault is it if you're offended?