Sex: attitudes and philosophy

rockpie

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:52 am
I was wondering what thoughts people had about sex. I am of the opinion that it is not something that should be abused or utilised for the sole purpose of pleasure, my girlfriend on the other hand, has wuite the opposite view. What is sex to you? Meaningful? Or just for kicks? Any other philosophies on what sex is to you personally or humanity as a whole?

ebrown p

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:55 am
@rockpie,
There is no reason why it can't be had both ways.

Food is meaningful. It is necessary and has a purpose. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy a slice of cherry cheesecake even when I am not hungry.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 07:00 am
religion says we should not enjoy sex

evolution has made sex enjoyable so that we keep doing it.

making your body feel good is not some moral issue, only those with issues themselves press that upon people.

Sex is good. There is nothing wrong with it. Be responsible, use protection, but dont let others jaded views dictate what you want to do.

Religion introduced sexual shame.
Religion was introduced to control the masses.

There is nothing wrong with having sex. Your worth is not evaluated by the presence of a hymen in women, or abstaining for men.. Thats just ridiculous and a wonderful way to teach someone shame and remove their self esteem.
Our bodies want to have sex. Sex is a psychological and physical need. There is no shame in that.
ebrown p

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 07:08 am
@shewolfnm,
Not that simple Shewolf.

The regulation of sex is not a "religious" thing... it is a social thing. Every society (religious or not) has developed rules about what sexual practices are acceptable or not. This includes our society. Our society has very strong rules against adults having sex with adolescents... a practice that was accepted, and even encouraged by other cultures.

Francis

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 07:18 am
@shewolfnm,
Well said She..
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 07:24 am
@shewolfnm,
As far as I know religion does not forbid us to enjoy sex. But I don´t know the rules and regulations of all religions. But the moral issues have changed over the centuries since the very first religon started.
There are moral and religious issues which make sence. Even though the issues might have started as a religious one it was often taken over by the state laws.
No sex with minors, close relatives, animals, prostitution, rape, forced marriage
and others.
Francis

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 07:27 am
@saab,
It seems to me that those exceptions were not implied in the original question of the poster.

Let's keep it clean and between consenting adults..
ebrown p

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 07:37 am
@Francis,
Francis, what does it mean to keep sex "clean"?

This is a thread about doing what is enjoyable versus following social rules. Is there any difference between "keeping sex clean" and following social rules.

And what about prostitution between consenting adults. People obviously find this enjoyable-- is it "clean"?

Francis

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 07:50 am
@ebrown p,
I meant clean as in a relatioship between consenting adults, according to usual social rules.

Now, it seems people want to talk about pratices at the margin of the mainstrean, like prostitution.

I wouldn't say prostitution isn't clean, unless it's unclean.

It's certainly not part of my actual preoccupations.

If people want to use the services of meretrices or gigolos, who am I to oppose that?
ebrown p

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 07:58 am
@Francis,
"Usual Social Rules" is an interesting phrase indeed. Social rules of course vary from place to place.

There is a significant subculture in the United States that has a social rule that forbids sex outside of marriage. They are not the majority (any more), but there are many people who are brought up with these social rules and the idea of promise rings (a promise of chastity) are part of our popular culture.

The original posters belief that sex should only be for pleasure is a "social rule" .

Of course, there are similar problems with the term "consenting adult".
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 08:40 am
@shewolfnm,
A question for Shewolf.

The idea of "fidelity"; that is, the idea that a married man should not have sex with other women, was imposed on us by religion. It was widely propagated in American culture by means of Protestant Christianity.

Evolution made infidelity enjoyable. Should we keep doing it?

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 08:53 am
@ebrown p,
I see nothing wrong with infidelity so long as people having the sex are doing it safely ( condoms and such) and the people with in the relationship AGREE to this going on.
If they do not, they need to change their relationship.

Its not about morals in MY mind.. not about ' you are married. sex with others is a no no'.
If the relationship / marriage has 2 people that are ok with that behavior? By all means! go have fun. Its not a problem.

The problem is the society that does not encourage people to explore, enjoy and LIVE sexually, how they choose.
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 08:59 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Not that simple Shewolf.

The regulation of sex is not a "religious" thing... it is a social thing. Every society (religious or not) has developed rules about what sexual practices are acceptable or not.....based on perceived fears of punishments for certain behaviors

(im finishing this with my words to help explain.)

And the majority , i realize not all, but the majority are based on religious reasons.

Then of course there are medical, scientific reasons as well. Sleeping with your siblings produces retarded people. Those people do not survive and are not meant to survive. that sex produces something tangible , visible, and a concrete reason to NOT do it. That goes against our very core of survival and reproduction. Even if people do not have the words for it ( cavemen for a bare example) you KNEW that it was not going to work. So it was not seen as a definite way to marry. Obviously! Look how long we have been here.

There IS no concrete reason to not have sex.
None.
Diseases.. yes. Use protection.
But the very act of consensual sex has no repercussions. Psychologically? yes. As thinking beings, everything has psychological reasons and repercussions. But sex produces people. We now know how to stop that.
Why is sex still wrong?

psychological aspects aside... because those can be worked out.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 09:02 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Our society has very strong rules against adults having sex with adolescents... a practice that was accepted, and even encouraged by other cultures.

if you go back not even 150 years, it used to be common place and expected for teenage girls to marry 30 year old men.
That was just how it was done.
Probably based on the average life span being 40 to maybe 50. To produce children, you needed a woman BEFORE 40.
With many plagues and health issues, people did not live long.
The young and strong were ideal .... not jail bait (Laughing)
Nothing was wrong with that. that was how our society was.
With the introduction to modern medicine, people began living longer.
How did that change our mindset? Im clueless.. but its obvious it has.
Maybe its that core survival thing kicking in. You dont need to chase the young ones anymore? (tongue in cheek here...)
fresco

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 09:02 am
It seems to me that "sex issues" are part of the price we pay for our cognitive abilities which allow for "planning" and the anticipation of "consequences". In other words, as clever animals, with a concept of "time", we seek to control everything, including our animal instincts according to their individual and social pay-off values. To this end, social rules are agreed and these are often reified by appeal to "divine authority" aka "religion". Indeed, it can be argued that this is a primary function of religion and a key reason for its invention. (A second reason being the anticipation of our own mortality along the time axis, and attempted "control after death")

Less intelligent animals don't have such problems!
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 09:04 am
@shewolfnm,
an edit on my infidelity comment.

If someone is secretly cheating, then it becomes an issue of honesty more than sex. That is something that means the relationship is not a good one to begin with. The sex is just a byproduct.
Everyone is capable of being honest and if our society would stop putting up barriers about HOW people can have sex ( consenting adults) you would be more comfortable and able to find a person who would be interested in staying partners while sleeping with other people..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 09:05 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Less intelligent animals don't have such problems!

Less intelligent animals have a lot more sex too Laughing

great point / post.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 09:40 am
@shewolfnm,
if you go back not even 150 years, it used to be common place and expected for teenage girls to marry 30 year old men.
That was just how it was done.

I don´t know what country you are referring to that teenage girls married 30 year old men.
As a rule young people waited to get married until the man could support a family.
I Scandinavia young people came to age for marrying for men at 21 and women at 18. This has changed over the years. Already 1734 according to Swedish law young people were recommended not to marry before 21.

There were similar laws in all of northern Europe.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 12:49 pm
@rockpie,
rockpie wrote:

I was wondering what thoughts people had about sex. I am of the opinion that it is not something that should be abused or utilised for the sole purpose of pleasure, my girlfriend on the other hand, has wuite the opposite view.

Is it your view, then, that sex should only be for the purpose of procreation?
ebrown p

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 12:54 pm
@joefromchicago,
That is an invalid assumption Joe...

There are more than two reasons for sex.