American Idol====Everything you want to say!

aidan

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 03:51 am
@Joe Nation,
I used to love to watch it - constantly amazed at the quality of these non-professional singers. The last one I really remember is Fantasia - she was awesome - I don't know what happened to her after, but I remember at the time just being on the show was such a wondrous thing to her in her life - she was intensely grateful for the opportunity.

I haven't watched it in years because I've pretty much given up tv, but last year this guy was on and my daughter (who still watches it religiously - as well as x-factor and anything else with music - because she loves it and boy can SHE sing- called me downstairs and was like, 'Mom - don't you know this kid?' And it was ANOOP! I never taught him (because he was really smart and didn't need any of my remedial help) but he was in the student government and select choir, etc., etc...just an overall talented, smart and amazing student and wonderful person. So while he was on (he didn't win and actually - I bet his parents are happy - they'd probably rather he be an academic anyway for the long term) I watched it faithfully. Here he is:

But I am constantly amazed at the talent I find on youtube. As much as it's an outlet for people who love to sing (and want to perform - I love to sing, but I don't want to perform) it's a marketplace for people who love to hear people sing.
Here's one where I swear I think they sound at least as good as the original artists if not better-I had to listen to it twice and you can just hear that their voices are slightly different and almost better - and the guy plays the fiddle too and I'm thinking - who are these kids? I'd buy a record by them:
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 05:50 am
Crap. I got home late and then my phone rang. (It can't ring on the subway) I called the Voice Mail and as I did, the phone rang again. It was my kid. I love my kid.
But Idol was on !!.
Meh.
So we talked for about an hour.... . Hey, he's my kid.

So,except for last, really huge, really soulful guy, I missed everybody.

Guess I will see some new faces on Hollywood week.
====
Adian--- you've got it.

Joe(Hey, it's Friday!)Nation
Green Witch

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 08:11 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe, you can go to the Fox site and watch the highlights, it's sort of the Reader's Digest version of the show. Which is sometimes better than the actual show.
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 09:02 am
@Green Witch,
Thanks.
I watch most of my tv on my computer now.

Sorry abot misspelling yr name, Aidan..

Joe (off to it)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 07:05 pm
LA tonight... not much so far.

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 10:12 pm
What was with the judge with the pussycat ears? Is that some kinda "in" thing I don't know about?

The guy who thought he was some sort of sex god made me kind of ill. Am I getting old?

I still don't understand why someone's personal "story" has anything to do with winning or going forward or even being interesting. Can this person sing or not?

There were a few good ones tonight.
Green Witch

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 10:27 pm
@Roberta,
Quote:
What was with the judge with the pussycat ears?

It's a fad from Japan referred to as Lolita. It's a sexy style of dressing that's part little girl and sometimes part animal:

http://ukih.merchantrunglobal.com/ImageHosting/ViewImage.aspx?GlobalID=1003&MerchantID=1327&ImageID=3325&DisplaySize=-1
ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 10:34 pm
@Green Witch,
Oh, like on the Sartorialist..
Green Witch

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 10:42 pm
@ossobuco,
It is technically street fashion. Lolita is a weird mix of pedophile fantasy and anime cartoons. Some of it beautiful, but it's helps to be young and Japanese in order to pull it off as fashionable:

http://icmcreative.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/black-lolita-photo-harajuku-tokyo3.jpg

http://s.bebo.com/app-image/8525513176/6427929276/PROFILE/i.quizzaz.com/img/q/u/08/04/12/QUIZ-sweet.jpg

0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 10:49 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

The guy who thought he was some sort of sex god made me kind of ill. Am I getting old?

Nothing to do with age. He was Creepy. It makes me wonder how the screening process works. A guy like that should not be given national TV attention. He has "stalker" written all over him.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 11:33 pm
Thanks for filling me in on the ears.

And thanks for letting me know that creepy is creepy regardless of age.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 01:52 pm
No one blew me away last night.
==
I felt sorry for the last kid (25 foster families! Can't the frigging richest country in the world do better than that?) I hope he can sing the blues.....he'll have the energy.
==
I like to know a little bit about some of the performers, but not much. Who people are and who they are with (married, kids, no kids, sick kids, etc.) is interesting, but can distract from the actual listening.
The other night I was trying to listen to Justin Timberlake (Haiti Concert) and the two women I was with couldn't shut up about who he had been with and 'the cover of People" blah blah blah....and one of them had never heard him sing. Ah, well.

==
oh, and isn't Ms. Perry a toughie???
Joe(kinda like Boida)Nation
Roberta

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 04:16 pm
I felt bad for the last kid, too, Joe. I do have a heart somewhere buried deep inside my chest. The thing that bothers me is that people vote for people. I think their personal stories should be irrelevant.

Forgot to mention Mr. 158 IQ. Feh. I'm always suspicious of people who announce their IQs before they say anything else. Glad he's got a functioning brain (if he wasn't making the whole thing up) because he sure as hell couldn't sing.

R(you shoulda told them females to shut the f up)oberta

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 04:25 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

oh, and isn't Ms. Perry a toughie???

Yes, she even objected to the other judges flying in with a helicopter Very Happy
She's awfully cute though...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 04:49 pm
She IS awfully cute. And not such a dummy. The music business is at it's wackiest at the moment. She revealed just a little anxiety over seeing all those potential competitors, I think, or maybe she's just naturally heartless.

Joe(an allergic reaction to Cherry Lipstick)Nation
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 08:00 pm
@Joe Nation,
The entire music business is heartless - Katy probably just displayed that.
No need to sweet talk around it, ultimately only the voice counts.

Calamity(Cherry Lipstick can be so sexy)Jane

0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 08:19 pm
I'm not seeing much in the way of star quality, but I'm always wrong about these things anyway. The whip girl was cute. I had no idea who the second guest judge was; probably because I'm old enough to be his mother.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 08:58 pm
@Green Witch,
Out here on the west coast we haven't seen it yet - starts at 8:00 pm PST

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 10:13 pm
Tourette's? One of the symptoms the sufferer of this syndrome failed to mention is barking out dirty words at unexpected moments. Maybe he doesn't have that particular aspect of the disease.

I didn't think anyone stood out tonight.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 03:30 am
@aidan,
aiden,
Fantasia has a realty tv show. I haven't watched it so I can't tell you much about it.

Greenwitch,
I agree with your statement. Watching some contestants crash and burn is the really fun part and then mixing in a few great ones is refreshing. I loose interest as the show gets towards the end of choosing a winner.

I will not be happy that Simon is leaving. I enjoy his antics the best. I hear Ellen Degeneres will be a judge which totally perplexes me. Will she be a guest judge or a perm judge? I would hate to loose Randy also. I still can't remember the name of the new girl, kara something, dark hair, pale, whatever.
0 Replies