American Idol 2011

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 09:03 am
Isn't it Linkat's job to post these type threads so the rest of us don't have to admit we are really interested? Anyway...

So Steven Tyler makes me want to buy stock in a Botox company, but I still rather like him in that dirty kind of way. I can't really remember why Jennifer Lopez is famous outside of looking fabulous, but she seems sincere and I like that the guys go all starry eyed when they see her. I like the editing better, more real singers, less people dressed up like cows.

So what you think?- those of you who will admit to watching. And yes, Farmerman, we already know you hate this show and are watching scientists drilling through ice on PBS NOVA whenever Idol is on.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,676 • Replies: 17
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 09:27 am
@Green Witch,
I love it! Jennifer and Steven bring the much needed new swing into
American Idol. I hadn't really watched the last 2 seasons, it became way too
boring, and now - all three are such a great team. I am a bit surprised about
Jennifer as well. I like her vulnerability and being genuine in trying to be
sincere and nice to the contestants. She won't put them down like Simon did, a simple No will suffice and she's right. Steven is a big baby, actually quite likable. He does remind me a bit of Ozzy Osbourne though, too many drugs and alcohol in his life, I guess. Randy is trying to play "Simon" but the other two won't have any of it and I like how they reprimand Randy if he slides.

I am really enjoying this "new" American Idol season.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 10:14 am
@Green Witch,
Quote:
Isn't it Linkat's job to post these type threads so the rest of us don't have to admit we are really interested? Anyway...

I feel so exposed!

My wife and I didn't watch the show previously, but with all of the buzz about JLo being a judge she just had to watch the first episode, and I was curious about Tyler and how he'd turn out. It was pretty good! You can tell who the talented people are after hearing them hit just their first note or two.

You mention the guys falling over JLo, but did you see her check out the guy who sang "Let's Get It On" in this week's show? After she gave him a yes and said he was cute, she gave him a once-over and stopped at his butt as he turned around to leave!
Roberta

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 10:34 am
I watch all kindsa crap, and I'm not ashamed of it at all.

Disappointed this season. They're letting too many people through. People with marginal abilities, at best.

Jennifer and Steven seem like actual human beings--more or less.

I miss people being told off. Without someone letting them know that they are hopeless, talentless, losers, they may go through life thinking they can sing.

I'm bored. Bored with the auditions. Bored with the sob stories. Bored with all that niceness.

Hey, judges. Toughen up. Mean up. Do something.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 10:38 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

You mention the guys falling over JLo, but did you see her check out the guy who sang "Let's Get It On" in this week's show? After she gave him a yes and said he was cute, she gave him a once-over and stopped at his butt as he turned around to leave!

No one does this look better than Steven Tyler:
http://baltimorediary.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341d75c753ef0120a6925f42970c-320wi
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 11:05 am
@Green Witch,
My wife and I have watched previous seasons of Idol, but are hesitant to get involved, at the moment. Not being a snob or anything, but really wanted to see a big change.

The new judges, hmm, I dunno. Lopez seems to say 'yes' a lot.

What really irks me about Idol is the voting system. I really want to see "one phone call, one vote" put into place, not this multiple voting thing, where it all becomes a popularity contest type-of-thing.

I also think there should be a pre-screening process to keep the wack jobs from getting valuable air time and taking it away from the folks who have real talent.

So, I feel that we may tune in after all the auditions are over and the real judging begins.

Overall, in relation to Idol, I still prefer Survivor and Amazing Race as to the realty type shows though. Looking forward to next month.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 11:16 am
Both Lopez and Tyler are guilty of moving some mediocre talent to the next level. I think they are going to do a lot of weeding in Hollywood/Vegas.

Quote:
I also think there should be a pre-screening process to keep the wack jobs from getting valuable air time and taking it away from the folks who have real talent.

They do have a pre-screening process that usually takes place in a local stadium (they sometimes show this image on the show). They get about 10,000-15,000 people per city trying out and they screen that down to (I think) about 1,000 who actually get numbers to see the judges. They deliberately throw some wackos into the mix. They did auditions near me a few years ago and someone I know went with her daughter. Her daughter waited on line for hours to sing a few lines to a guy with a clipboard, but didn't get a number. This is also the time they look for those little human interest stories to film.
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 12:21 pm
Sure are a bunch of 15 year old kids this year. I feel sorry for anyone over 17.

You know the industry is looking for an even younger Justin Beiber type. That's who they will be able to mold into what they want.

Some really good talent and some stinkers got thru - like Ms. Teenwhatever. Mediocre, at best.

Many will get washed out the first sessions.

This is my guilty pleasure show. Get out of my way, please, when it's on . . .

0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2011 04:32 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
They do have a pre-screening process that usually takes place in a local stadium.
[...]
They deliberately throw some wackos into the mix.

I'll take your word on this point, as it's sometimes hard to see if they weed anyone out!

To me, it appears like a few just like to try to get 10 seconds of screen time fame.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 09:19 pm
I spoke too soon about the freaks, they let plenty in this week, including that Armadillo. It was more pathetic than last year's cow. I'm also sorry Tyler and JLo are putting through so much low level talent. Those poor souls have neither charm nor a strong singing voice and are dancing off to the slaughter house of Hollywood. It seems like a waste of good airline seats.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2011 11:12 pm
What was that apology at the beginning of the show? Steven Tyler was sorry? For what?

I was more bored this week than I was last week. I miss Simon. He had some kinda control.

I thought the brothers showed some promise, but aren't they supposed to audition as solos?
Roberta

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 06:15 am
@Roberta,
PS: Even the good and semi-good singers are starting to sound alike. No one stands out. Well, the James Brown wannabe stood out, but not in a good way.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 09:24 am
@Roberta,
Yeah, I thought there was a lot of forced (bad) entertainment yesterday.
I don't think they need to get bad singers in in order to make it more lively,
in my humble opinion, they cheapen the show and make it less desirable to
watch. Sad, as I like the new set up with Steven and JLo.
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 09:58 am
I'm getting bored. i'm tired of the SAMENESS from one season to the next.

They bring out the same personalities EVERY season - the outrageous, the bi-polar explosions, the bizarre, the sexy, the cute, the pitiful, the amazingly talented, the couples, etc. We see the same "characters" every season.

I wish they would show a different format for the judging. I'd like to see how a person travels from the very start (from making it thru the clipboard gang) up to getting accepted and awarded the gold card to Hollywood.
Reyn

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 11:09 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Yeah, I thought there was a lot of forced (bad) entertainment yesterday.
I don't think they need to get bad singers in in order to make it more lively,
in my humble opinion, they cheapen the show and make it less desirable to
watch.

Yes, I couldn't agree more!

Last night we tuned in just to see how it was and sorely regretted it. Without a doubt, yesterday's show was the worst episode ever!!

And why do they spend so much air time with the losers? Take for example how they ended the show with the James Brown wannabee. Mad They let that segment go on forever!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2011 01:32 pm
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
They bring out the same personalities EVERY season - the outrageous, the bi-polar explosions, the bizarre, the sexy, the cute, the pitiful, the amazingly talented, the couples, etc. We see the same "characters" every season.

Who else is there? What do you want them to do differently.

That last wacko was given a once in a lifetime gift based on the fact they had time to fill. JLo went out with a guard, but all that guy was interested in was the camera. It encourages others with similar mental problems.
0 Replies

tenderfoot

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 12:20 am
I agree with all the above.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2011 10:13 am
FINALLY - down to the final 12 on each side!!

Randy is the new Simon. He told it like it is, however.

0 Replies