Danny Gokey

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 09:41 pm
There's your American Idol winner, right there, people!

What, you doubt me? Ha! It's OVER!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,982 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 10:48 pm
Hmmm...he must have come on after I switched over to PBS Frontline. I'm already running out of patience for AA and I always feel a wave of deja vu when I watch. Plus, the commercials seem to go on forever. At one break, I made tea in the microwave and folded a load of laundry before the next singer.
Ragman

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 11:06 pm
@kickycan,

Odds of his winning are high, IMHO. He's got a lot going for him ...he's sincere, he looks good and is stylish, sings great..makes good song choices..and has the sympathy/human interest angle.

IMHO, AI's season #8 talent level is higher than most other years.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 11:00 am
@Green Witch,
He was the last one to sing last night. I don't even think he did that good last night, but except for a couple of them in the beginning, he made the rest of them look like ****.

I think a couple of the girls might have a slim chance, but Gokey is definitely the best one I've seen yet this season.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 02:10 pm
@kickycan,
I looked him up on the recap. The AI site is too visually sophisticated for my old Mac, so I didn't even bother looking for the full video. Gokey has a certain charm about him, but I think they still have a couple dozen more to go, so I don't want to pick my horse yet. I'm always wrong anyway. Although, I was right about Jennifer Hudson and was shocked when she didn't place first.

Do you actually vote? I don't vote because I would never buy any of the music and I feel the consumer should decide.
kickycan

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 02:13 pm
@Green Witch,
I don't vote either. That's for the people who really care who wins. I'm not that worried about it. But I like to pick the winner.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 05:19 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
Gokey has a certain charm about him, but I think they still have a couple dozen more to go, so I don't want to pick my horse yet.

My wife and I are watching and feel as you do. Definitely, Gokey is a strong contender, but I seem to recall a couple more that I liked. His song choice for yesterday wasn't as good as previous ones.

The fellow that's the oil rigger also has possibilities, but, again, he didn't do his best last night.

Has AI changed the format for this year? Tonight's show is only going to have 3 people that will advance to the finals? That means, with 2 more groups of 12 to come, there will be 9 that will sing in the finals? Can anyone confirm this?
Ragman

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 05:22 pm
@Reyn,
You're forgetting about the Wiold Card competition. I think it's March 13th.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:09 pm
@Reyn,
Oops..Wild Card competiton is on March 5th. That pick from this round becomes one of The Final Ten.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 12:43 pm
I was a little surprised to see that Anoop didn't make the 3 to get voted through last night.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 12:46 pm
i'm proud to say, i have no idea what you folks are talking about
Green Witch

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 01:35 pm
@djjd62,
Well, if you think you're too good for us get off of our thread.

Danny is the best of the three from last night. So I consider Kicky's "horse" to be in the lead.
mismi

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 01:51 pm
@kickycan,
See, I don't think you can make that assertion yet. There are times when the singers grow and get more polished through the season. I don't love American Idol - but what I find intriguing about it is how they seem to seperate themselves toward the end...Some years it's very clear who has fallen away and who will go on and some years it is very close - at least to me.

My kids like it - it is one of the few things we can sit down and watch together and enjoy. That's my excuse and I sticking to it.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 02:37 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
Danny is the best of the three from last night.

Yes, without a doubt, but there may be another one or two strong singers from the other groups. So, I'm still holding off on declaring any winner until after that. Wink
Ragman

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 04:39 pm
@Reyn,
oh yeah, I like figuring these things out as to who will be in Top 5 ahead of time. As Danny gets polished, I think he's a shoe-in for Top 5. He really has all the elements. I think his level of showmanship, exemplified when he sang a duet with the pretty blackhaired singer, was great. He'll only get better.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 06:27 pm
I think the three who should survive tonight are:

1.The 16 year old with the over processed red hair who sang "Get You Alone"
2.The stunning blonde with the arm tattoo who doesn't have the best voice but is so charming to look at that you forget that.
3.The last guy with the hair in his eyes who smirked his way through "Satisfaction".

The others should leave the building.

Reyn

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 09:15 pm
@Green Witch,
Hmm, none of them are favourites with me, but, with this current bunch, I'll have to agree with you on all three counts.

I can only hope that next week's 12 will be better.

I was really sorry to see the Osmond boy get eliminated in the group competitions. I was hoping to see more of him. I thought he showed great potential.
Reyn

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 08:51 am
@Reyn,
I was surprised that the woman with the tattoos didn't get through. Maybe one of the wild cards?

As far as I'm concerned, "the joker" should never have gone through at the beginning. People were raving that he was funny. I didn't find him funny. Besides, it's a song competition, not stand-up comedy.
Green Witch

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 08:58 am
@Reyn,
I also think they are going to bring back the tattoo girl. They like that she is a package ready to go. I think the stylists do a great job, but it's sure easy when you have someone so pretty and perky to start with. She needs to learn some voice control, but that's doable.

I didn't get the Nick/Norman thing either. I kept thinking he might drop the act and start seriously singing, but it didn't happen. He belongs in a cabaret, not a big stage with back up orchestra.
Reyn

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 01:26 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
I didn't get the Nick/Norman thing either. I kept thinking he might drop the act and start seriously singing, but it didn't happen. He belongs in a cabaret, not a big stage with back up orchestra.

What cheesed me off was the fact that he took someone else's spot that deserved to be there. There are some who have already been eliminated that I would have rather seen have another go.
0 Replies