American Idol====Everything you want to say!

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 07:04 pm
I love singers.!

Joe (Here we go!)Nation

Reyn

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 07:07 pm
@Joe Nation,
The announcement that Simon Cowell is moving over to The X-Factor next season has me intrigued. Wink
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 07:15 pm
I'm sure they can find somebody besides him to make snide snarky (accurate) remarks.

Joe(i want to see someone who can just let out her soul.)Nation
Reyn

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 07:20 pm
@Joe Nation,
Could be, but I wonder if the market can bear 2 major shows like Idol and X-Factor?

I, myself, will be again tuning into Idol again. This year, I'm mainly interested in Ellen's appearance on the show. I think she'll be a hoot.

My main beef with the show in the past has been the voting system. It's extremely flawed.

Other than that, it's "Ok" entertainment, if you don't take it too seriously.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 08:37 pm
Few people here (a2k) know this, but I am (was) a singer.

There is nothing more artful, more human, than to step to the center of a stage, look out at all those eyes in the darkness and breath out your soul in a song.

Joe(we have been singing for 100,000 years)Nation
Reyn

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 09:44 pm
@Joe Nation,
C'mon Joe, sing us a few bars! Wink

[pulls up a chair and waits for Joe to belt out a tune]
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 10:36 pm
I have Idol DVR'd. In time-shifting mode here LOL.

Won't be the same, IMHO, without Simon, though.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 04:49 am
I'd be happy to replace Simon. I can be very snarky and snide. But I don't have that British accent to make it sound better.

I watch this show, and I think of my signature line. Is it possible that people cannot see themselves at all?! More specifically hear themselves. Doesn't anybody have a tape recorder or a video camera. Isn't there a family member to step forward and say, "You stink." It would be a kindness.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 05:58 am
"There were moments of complete torture in that vocal to be honest with you." - Simon Cowell

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 07:10 am
It is amazing to hear some people sing completely off key or in some range which is only heard by dogs and IRS accountants. My own theory is this: they sing along to their headsets. What they hear is Maria Carey burbbling along, what they are producing in actual vocals isn't connected to any of our realities.

But they are the anomalies, what gives me the greatest pleasure is to hear someone who has obviously worked and listened and been listened to take on a difficult song and shine with it.

The competition has gotten more difficult has the years have gone by, here's where we are: a male, over the age of 22 years old who can sing jazzy riffs and rock out will win.

I always root for the youngest of the competitors because I know that they are the ones most likely to get crushed by the maturity ( and chops) of those who have had more time to work on perfecting the craft.

Joe(sing the melody, tell the story, be the music)Nation
djjd62

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 07:28 am
was there as much focus on the horrible singers before the whole william hung debacle (never watched the show, so i don't know how the tryouts have progressed)

i can see talentless folks trying to be the next big thing in bad (ala mr w. hung)

for me i enjoy the train wreck stuff i see on line (thanks to radio shows like opie & anthony or howard stern turning me on to the worst of AI stuff), i wish the crazy paula abdul stalker had made the show a few years ago, or that she'd been picked to take over paula's spot
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 08:34 am
@Roberta,
I do not normally watch idol - I did last night because it was filmed in Boston (and part of the auditions took place across the street from where I work).

I loved watching the successful ones and hearing some of their stories. And like you wondered how family members could support some of these "bad" singers and encourage them. You cannot always tell that you are a bad singer but come on now family members would have to...my mom always told me that if we have unwanted company they would have me sing. I knew from the beginning no matter how much I enjoyed singing - no one else enjoyed listening to me. (accept when my daughters were babies).
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 08:35 am
@Joe Nation,
There were a couple of really good 16 year olds last night...but I stink so I don't know much.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 09:06 am
16 years old. Her name was Maddie (?) sang Hallelujah (L. Cohen, not Hayden) Very nice, very controlled.

Joe(not an easy song, tough long breath at the end.)Nation
Green Witch

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 09:46 am
I think for many of these people, they are willing to wait for hours and hours on-line for a few seconds of acknowledgment, even negative acknowledgement, of their existence. I have encountered parents who have encouraged children to pursue things they were not particularly good at, so I'm not that surprised when we see them waiting outside the door with balloons while their offspring warbles an off key version of "It's Raining Men" to the stunned judges. Some parents are blind (and tone deaf) when it comes to their kids.

I admit I've watched this show whenever I've had a TV, although I tend to lose interest interest before the final results. It's a combination of a carnival freak show, a train wreck, a Busby Berkeley musical, and a lottery announcement. Other than the endless commercials, what's not to like?
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 05:46 pm
Okay good folks of able2know, , all I recall is: the kid was a bit chubby, dark hair, and sang a Beatles song. Not the Italian guy, and not the kid who worked on that boat. Does anybody remember what Beatles song he sang?
Green Witch

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 06:31 pm
@alex240101,
I think he sang Yesterday.
djjd62

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 06:34 pm
@Green Witch,
yes, it was last night, but what song did he sing

dj(who's on first)jd
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 08:35 pm
It was Yesterday and he was good.

Now I want the little girl from Tennessee not to get eaten up in the first week.

Joe(Got my pants on the ground, looking like a fool with ....)Nation
DrewDad

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 08:43 pm
@Joe Nation,
Why does anyone want to watch a televised karaoke competition?