The Big Chill is a Comin'

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 05:54 am
Some of our temps may be in the teens later this week. We expect a hard freeze, coldest weather in at least 14 years. I may have to drive home from work in sleeting conditions. Where the hell is global warming when you need it?

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 05:58 am
@edgarblythe,
im absolutely looking forward too it too. debating on putting off work to stay home and shiver. Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 05:59 am
http://news8austin.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=263184
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 05:59 am
Good question . . . i suspect they're asking it in England right about now, too.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 09:26 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Where the hell is global warming when you need it?

It's up here in New Hampshire. It's supposed to get above freezing today, practically balmy for January Smile
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 09:52 am
It's 72 F out here in southern California - has been for the last 6 days .
Needless to say, we're not complaining the least.
dadpad

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 10:07 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:

I think we may have your share over here. You're welcome to come get it. Anytime now would be OK.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 10:13 am
The big headline on Yahoo! today is "Wind Chills of -50, Snow Imperil Midwest."

Really? Are we really in peril?

"Jesus. Jesus Christ. Honey! Where are the kids? Goddamnit, where are they?"

"Sweetie, what's gotten into you?"

"Snow! Snow everywhere!"

"Calm down. What's the rifle for?"

"I'm sorry, my love. But I won't let the snow take us alive. Now round up the kids."

"Honey, you do realize that the snow is outside."

"Yes?"

"And we're inside."

"Are you saying the snow can't get us in here? It won't snow inside the house?"

"That's what I'm saying."

"But what if we want to go outside? There's snow goddamn everywhere!"

"You could put your boots on. And a hat and some gloves."

"You know I hadn't thought of that. Well, carry on then."
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 10:20 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Some of our temps may be in the teens later this week.
We expect a hard freeze, coldest weather in at least 14 years.
I may have to drive home from work in sleeting conditions.
Its cold here in NY too. It pleases me that I have no reason to leave my house; nice n warm.
Just warmly enjoy undemanding Freedom

David
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 11:01 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Some of our temps may be in the teens later this week. We expect a hard freeze, coldest weather in at least 14 years. I may have to drive home from work in sleeting conditions. Where the hell is global warming when you need it?

Thank goodness! I thought it was a Broadway style adaptation of the 1983 Yuppie classic film, The Big Chill!
http://www.pophistorydig.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/1983-big-chill-poster3-95.jpg
You scared me there for awhile EB!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 11:02 am
@CalamityJane,
Seaglass and I went to the beach yesterday, CJ. Punaluu, the black sand beach. Spent all afternoon just dozing in our beach chairs, looking out at the surf and scanning the beach for those big turtles that come out to bask from time to time. Temp? Oh, around 80 degrees F., something like that.
Gala

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 11:04 am
@edgarblythe,
According to what I've heard, extreme/unusual weather patterns are a part of global warming. So a prolonged deep freeze for you seems consistent with global warming.

In my area, when it rains, it rains for days and days, it never used to be like that. I am not in the Pacific Northwest.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 11:13 am
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/.a/6a00d83451c45669e2012876a72b10970c-500wi

Quote:
Even though the 2000s were the hottest decade on record, there were a lot of record lows set in the United States during that time. It's just that there were even more record highs"and the ratio of highs to lows was greater than the ratio during the 1990s, which was, in turn, greater than the ratio during the 1980s, and so on. Note also that the United States is just a small patch of the globe, and while we're bracing ourselves against freakish cold, the central Pacific has been seeing freakish highs. The thing to watch is the overall trend.

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2010/01/its-cold-outside.html
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 11:30 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:
Seaglass and I went to the beach yesterday, CJ. Punaluu, the black sand beach. Spent all afternoon just dozing in our beach chairs, looking out at the surf and scanning the beach for those big turtles that come out to bask from time to time. Temp? Oh, around 80 degrees F., something like that.
Does Seaglass mean telescope ?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 12:20 pm
@sozobe,
Thank you Soz, I was about to post something similar.

It seems this time of year everyone (liberal and republican) seem to forget about all the record highs we saw all summer long.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 12:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
While much of Canada is getting a horrible winter this season, my part of British Columbia is quite balmy, in comparison. We have had only dustings of snow back in December and temperatures, for the most part, quite reasonable.

So far, so good.... Very Happy
Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 12:28 pm
You guys in Texas are a bunch of wimps! We have an office there - and as a result of the severe cold, they get to wear jeans! And suggestions to bring laptops home and stuff in case they can't make it in. Schools are closed because of the severe cold.

What the h*ll? We have below zero out and we are expected to be in dressed in business clothes. I've had to come in a blizzard before! And some one please explain to me how wearing jeans helps with the cold?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 12:33 pm
@Reyn,
Things haven't been so bad on the lake shore at Toronto. We've only started to get snow within the last week, and then never in very large quantities at once. It has been bloody cold, but, what the hell, this is Canadia.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 01:22 pm
It's pretty damn cold here today.

3 layers and a cat cold.
AbbieMcKenley

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 01:47 pm
@Rockhead,
We're we're snowed in here in England yesterday, still pretty thick here at the moment, so "unfortunatly" we can't get to class... Wink

Then again, they've shut it before for a couple inches...

We're not very good at handling snow.