I don't do funerals

dyslexia

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 07:27 pm
@msolga,
I got a phone call last night from the lady who is my father's power of attorney (she's the one sending me my grandfathers watch) she told me that over the past 5 years my father has been essentially getting rid of anything that might be connected to my brother or myself to anyone who wants it and trashing everything else (photographs of us kids etc) She said she was trying to set aside/hide some things hoping he will forget about them. She also found the bag of coins that were given to me every xmas by my grandparents and the coins my mother collected when we traveled in north africa/europe and she had managed to hide the troll dolls my mother collected in the '50's in northern europe. The specifics of the legalities from the power of attorney deny my brother and myself any legal rights regarding my parents (fathers) estate etc. the only answers are that there are no answers. My father has spend his life creating the situation that exists today. My mother is experiencing end stage alzhimers (fortunately for her sake)
msolga

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 07:35 pm
@dyslexia,
I think you got the title of this thread wrong. It should have been I Don't Do Families. Wink

I would like to say more now but can't. I have to be somewhere & should have left 15 minutes ago.

Gotta run now.
0 Replies

AbbieMcKenley

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 07:59 pm
@dyslexia,
Sorry that your having a tough time with family at the moment.
Since my sister died, my mum has removed the photo's of me and my other siblings from her purse and replaced them with ones of my sister, and on several occasions demanded to my dad that "The only daughter i want is dead", which is lovely of her. I've never got on amazingly well with her but she's gotton to the point almost denying she has other children. She then gets annoyed when my brother cries that she doesnt want him anymore.

Then again, a week or so doesnt compare to 5 years and I know thats not really the same thing but i just wanted to say i know how, well, annoying it is when a parent decides they don't want anything to do with you anymore.

Sounds like a crazy situation for you, but i suppose at the end of the day, it'll happen however. If i were you, i'd go ito selfish mode and forget about what the right thing is to do and do what you want, if legal rights and whatever stop you, well, you tried your best.

Rolling Eyes
littlek

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 08:11 pm
@dyslexia,
Dys, at least someone out there seems to be on your side.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 09:20 pm
Just read Abbie's post. Wow. From the mouths of babes, as they say...

Quote:
Sounds like a crazy situation for you, but i suppose at the end of the day, it'll happen however. If i were you, i'd go ito selfish mode and forget about what the right thing is to do and do what you want, if legal rights and whatever stop you, well, you tried your best.

Welcome to A2K, Abbie. I think you've found an online home. Cool
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 11:09 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
I got a phone call last night from the lady who is my father's power of attorney (she's the one sending me my grandfathers watch) she told me that over the past 5 years my father has been essentially getting rid of anything that might be connected to my brother or myself to anyone who wants it and trashing everything else (photographs of us kids etc) She said she was trying to set aside/hide some things hoping he will forget about them. She also found the bag of coins that were given to me every xmas by my grandparents and the coins my mother collected when we traveled in north africa/europe and she had managed to hide the troll dolls my mother collected in the '50's in northern europe. The specifics of the legalities from the power of attorney deny my brother and myself any legal rights regarding my parents (fathers) estate etc. the only answers are that there are no answers. My father has spend his life creating the situation that exists today. My mother is experiencing end stage alzhimers (fortunately for her sake)
Judging from your post, it appears possible
that those coins might be your property, not your father 's property.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 11:24 pm
@AbbieMcKenley,
AbbieMcKenley wrote:

Sorry that your having a tough time with family at the moment.
Since my sister died, my mum has removed the photo's of me and my other siblings from her purse and replaced them with ones of my sister, and on several occasions demanded to my dad that "The only daughter i want is dead", which is lovely of her. I've never got on amazingly well with her but she's gotton to the point almost denying she has other children. She then gets annoyed when my brother cries that she doesnt want him anymore.

Then again, a week or so doesnt compare to 5 years and I know thats not really the same thing but i just wanted to say i know how, well, annoying it is when a parent decides they don't want anything to do with you anymore.

Rolling Eyes
If your mother 's mind has become disordered,
then it behooves u to protect your own emotions from that,
as well as u can. Possibly, u can substitute for her to some degree
with your brother n sister, to mitigate any emotional injury to them from maternal rejection.

From your posts, I gather that she is leaving them in your care as much as possible. U might seek the wisdom of your uncle,
informing him of those facts, inasmuch as he is a (psychologist?) mental healthcare provider and a kind soul.

David
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 11:24 pm
@Eva,
Un huh. I welcome her posts, too.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 02:31 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:

Well so much for achieving end-of-life conciliatory gestures, looks like, dys. Was he always as destructive as this, or have things gotten worse as he's aged?
Whichever, it doesn't exactly leave much room for even small conciliatory gestures on your part, does it?
I honestly don't know what you can do in circumstances like this. I had a hunch (about which I might have been quite wrong) that you were hoping for some semblance of resolution before both your parents died. His latest actions make that just about impossible.
.... And I seriously doubt that your parent's estate is your major concern right now. Neutral

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 02:39 am

It looks like his father stole his coins.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 11:43 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:

This sucks.

I'm not going to go into my situation, but after a while you learn to accept that your father has fallen short.

I think David has a point about the coins legally being yours. And Abby brings up another side of the crap that comes with family. Her mother sounds like the ultimate martyr.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 12:14 pm

I hope Dys gets his coins back.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 05:00 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

I got a phone call last night from the lady who is my father's power of attorney - she told me that over the past 5 years my father has been essentially getting rid of anything that might be connected to my brother or myself to anyone who wants it and trashing everything else .... The specifics of the legalities from the power of attorney deny my brother and myself any legal rights regarding my parents (fathers) estate etc. the only answers are that there are no answers.

Sometimes there is no explaining what is going on; he is what he is. This is something you obviously have no control over.

If you're hurt by all this, I'm sorry. If you're not, I applaud you.

Family are the people that love you, regardless of blood, and there are some here who consider you family, so there.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 05:06 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
Family are the people that love you, regardless of blood, and there are some here who consider you family
well, that makes another good day for me.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 06:27 pm
@dyslexia,
If u wanna say anything to him,
or discuss anything with him (like demanding your coins back)
then maybe u shud do it while he is still alive.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 06:31 pm
@dyslexia,
how come you are still wearing that dirty old hat?

(i saw you got a new one for your birthday, so don't lie...)
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 11:46 pm
I like the Soylent Green route; after all, any number of constuant atoms in my body were once part of other's flesh.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 08:27 am
@Mame,
Quote:
Sometimes there is no explaining what is going on; he is what he is. This is something you obviously have no control over.

If you're hurt by all this, I'm sorry. If you're not, I applaud you.

Family are the people that love you, regardless of blood, and there are some here who consider you family, so there.

You said it best, Mame.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 05:55 am
should read "constituent atoms"
msolga

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 06:16 am
@Chumly,
What are you talking about, Chumly? I'm lost. Confused