Best Pizza thread!

Tue 29 Dec, 2009 09:56 pm
I'm shocked that there isn't an a2k thread debating the merits of who in serves the best pizza on the planet. So, I will rectify this criminal negligence.

WHO SERVES THE BEST PIZZA ON THE PLANET?
Does one city have a monopoly for the title for the best singular region for the best pizza?

What is your favorite pizza toppings? Prefer white sauce or red sauce? Preferred choice of crust thickness: Deep dish, thin crust, extra thin crust, other?

Which restaurant creates the best pizza? Serves the best slice? Gourmet or cheap eats style pizza? To blot the grease off a the pizza or not blot the grease of the pizza? Fold the pizza slice onto itself or use fork and knife?

The impetus to this crucial culinary question:
Quote:
In a slideshow of his top eight pizzas of the year, Adam Kuban avoids controversy by dropping the word “best” from the title and refusing to rank his picks (boring!). You see, these are simply domestic pies that “continue to haunt my dreams,” and they are merely listed by chronological order of consumption, he explains.

He leaves off Di Fara, but other legendary pizzerias do make the cut: Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix for their Rosa (combining red onion, Parmigianno Reggiano, rosemary, and local pistachios), and Sally’s Apizza in New Haven for the plain tomato-and-Parmesan pie. In New York, Kuban fell for Motorino’s Brussels sprouts"and-pancetta pie and Pizzeria Veloce’s sausage squares. In Cali, try the sausage-and-onion pie at Emilia's Pizzeria in Berkeley, California.

Read more: Slice’s Eight Great Pizzas -- Grub Street New York http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2009/12/slices_great_eight.html?e=grubstreet--20091229#ixzz0b8n9WYS4

ossobuco

Tue 29 Dec, 2009 09:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well, not lately anyway.

I'd say Nancy Silverton (and others') pizzeria Mozza, but I have had the pleasure of going there to test that out.
0 Replies

panzade

Tue 29 Dec, 2009 10:51 pm
I remember wandering the streets of Firenze in the late 60's looking for pizza.

There weren't any. Very Happy
ossobuco

Tue 29 Dec, 2009 11:35 pm
@panzade,
Late sixties, you missed the flood.. (some friends were there for it).

I remember my first ital pizza was in a bowling alley cafe in Sesto Fiorentino, just west of Firenze... mushrooms that skittered across the pizza as you lifted it to eat.

Trying to remember if I've ever had another pizza north of Rome..

Edit - that earlier post was that I never have been to Mozza.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 29 Dec, 2009 11:42 pm
Mozza -

quoting - Nancy Silverton, Mario Batali and Joseph Bastianich meld their prodigious talents to bring Pizzeria Mozza and Osteria Mozza to the heart of Los Angeles. With the devout commitment to product, environment and hospitality, the two unique but equally engaging concepts provide dynamic templates for displaying the group's profound passions.

I practically faint reading the menu -
http://www.mozza-la.com/pizzeria/menu.cfm
Part of the success is Silverton's fabulous dough (I've heard).

tsarstepan

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 12:00 am
@ossobuco,
I say that's a worthy reason alone to make the cross country trip to visit Los Angeles. Heck, I'd move to LA simply to be near that pizza shop! http://i48.tinypic.com/2m5yt1k.jpg
jespah

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 04:40 am
@tsarstepan,
Ah, tsar, I make the homemade kind. Awesome on top: eggplant I've put under the broiler for a while (until soft), then salted (kosher salt only, not too much). Plus da homemade sauce I make in the slow cooker.
tycoon

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 07:16 am
@jespah,
Have you ever shared your homemade sauce recipe, Jespah? I'm experimenting right now and have reached an impasse. It's the last hurdle to making my dream pizza.
joefromchicago

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 09:14 am
@tsarstepan,
The list includes a pizza with brussels sprouts topping and doesn't include any Chicago pizza. It is therefore invalid.
tsarstepan

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 09:27 am
@joefromchicago,
The lack of deep dish and/or Chicago pizza is disturbing indeed.
0 Replies

boomerang

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 10:04 am
I like pretty much every pizza. The only way to ruin it for me is if they add too much sauce. It's fine by me if they just brush sauce on -- any more overpowers all the other flavors.

Pizzeria Uno in Chicago is my favorite pizza place but I'll pretty much pass on deep dish anywhere but there.

I like crispy, thin crust the best and will order my slice "overbaked" in most by-the-slice places since they usually have that fold-over crust.
tsarstepan

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 10:11 am
@boomerang,
Have you the displeasure of trying so called healthy pizza with whole wheat crust and skim milk or even vegan pizza with faux-cheese? It's blasphemous I tell ya!
boomerang

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 10:27 am
@tsarstepan,
Now why would I go and do something that crazy?

Everyone else is welcome to my share of soy-based Martian food.

I believe real food is health food.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 10:30 am
I've learned a heck of a lot about pizza making from this site:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php

It can be a little overwhelming.
jespah

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 02:16 pm
@tycoon,
Here ya go. I'm not Italian so God knows it's not authentic. Plus I watch salt so I took that into account when making it:

Low Salt, Low Fat Slow Cooker Tomato Sauce

Ingredients
8 oz Portabella Mushrooms
2/3 oz Fresh Oregano
2/3 oz Fresh Basil
10 oz Fresh White Mushroom pieces or slices
1 large Vidalia or other sweet onion
2 cloves of Garlic
8 cups chopped or sliced Plum Tomatoes (about 14 or 15)
16 oz raw Baby Carrots

Directions
Finely chop all ingredients and place in slow cooker. If you are using dried herbs rather than fresh, halve the amounts.

Cook for 8 hours in the slow cooker. If not all of the ingredients fit, fit whatever you can in and let it go for an hour. By that time, the ingredients will have cooked down and you should be able to add the remainder.

Once the cooking process is done, turn off the cooker and let it sit with the lid open for about 4 hours in order to let off some liquid. If you don't want to wait, just pour off the liquid, which can be used in a soup.

Puree ingredients (I use a stick blender) until a little chunky.

Makes 48 oz. Serving size is 2 oz.

Number of Servings: 24
Rockhead

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 02:18 pm
@jespah,
never thought I would live long enough to contemplate carrot pizza... Shocked

Wink

(pet bunnies prolly go crazy for it, though)
0 Replies

Green Witch

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 02:21 pm
@jespah,
Have a little olive oil. It's good for you. No make you fat - Scouts honor.
jespah

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 02:22 pm
@Green Witch,
Calories!

I have plenty of olive oil (salad dressing). Don't need it here, thanks.
0 Replies

maporsche

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 04:16 pm
I am a huge fan of Giordano's pizza here in Chicago. By far my current favorite.

From that list, I've only eaten the Rosa from Pizzeria Bianco and I have to agree that it's some damn good pizza. I'll have to remember to check out some others.
0 Replies

tycoon

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 04:32 pm
@jespah,
Thanks a lot Jespah. I'm going to try this for New Year's Day.