Green Witch wrote:

I've learned a heck of a lot about pizza making from this site:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php

It can be a little overwhelming.

Visited this site until my head hurt.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 04:39 pm
Re jespah's recipe, the carrots are to sweeten up the tomato sauce, given little tomato sauce is made from primo ripe off the vine tomatoes. I'd quibble re the amount, but I sometimes put some carrot in my battuto... I tend to like long sauteed, thus sweet, spanish onions for whatever sweetness. Others just go ahead and add sugar. To me the sin is to have the sauce palpably sweet.
tsarstepan

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 04:43 pm
@ossobuco,
I kind of figured the carrots were a sweetener. My mother would put a single carrot into her homemade tomato sauce to take some of the acidity out of the tomato. But a pound of carrots seems excessive. Razz
ossobuco

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 04:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
We agree on that. I wasn't sure it helped re acidity but I'll believe you.
0 Replies

jespah

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 05:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
The carrots are because they're low cal and you get a lot of bang for the buck nutritionally with them (fiber and vitamins). Plus I just like how they taste. And, yes, the tomatoes are often not right off the vine or even close to it, so they help with that. It's a pound mainly because it's an easy unit -- they sell a pound of baby carrots here and you can just dump them into the cooker (hey, I like things easy). Smile
ossobuco

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 05:52 pm
@jespah,
You'll enjoy that this reminds me of gelson's, the high end grocer in Marina del Rey that was the closest grocery to my house and job. I mostly loved it though I had to choose carefully lest my wallet be stripped, good food all around. (The other choice was lucky's, anext the barrio, where even the potato chips were burnt in the bags.) Back on gelson's, they did have an actual pizza in their deli with sliced carrots on it (rolls eyes). You're talkin with a purist here..

On the other hand, they had fabulous spinach cheese things in dough.. would that I had the recipe. I now forget the name, but I tried to contact them for the recipe and the deli folk had changed hands, or maybe menus..

plus it was the only place I've ever seen that made fish sausages (sunfish and spices, if I remember).
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 07:23 pm
make your pizza crust with real raw butter ( creaammmmmmmy) , thick fresh olive oil and parmesan cheese preferably made in the last 2 or 3 days.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
a pizza that will make you just fall off of your chair.
Rockhead

Wed 30 Dec, 2009 07:27 pm
@shewolfnm,
'specially if you are drinking lots of beer with it...

(I gotta quit this thread, it's making me hungry)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Thu 7 Jan, 2010 01:44 pm
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/260771/january-06-2010/alpha-dog-of-the-week---domino-s-pizza
Quote:
Wednesday January 6, 2010
Alpha Dog of the Week - Domino's Pizza
Domino's boldly embraces the universal condemnation of their product and asks its customers to come back for more. (04:14)
0 Replies

engineer

Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:02 pm
There's a new chain place opening here (Papa's Murphy's) that will sell you a home made, take and bake pizza that is oven ready. The price is a couple of bucks less than a Domino's pizza of similar size. Has anyone tried something like that before?
tsarstepan

Thu 7 Jan, 2010 02:05 pm
@engineer,
Intriguing concept. Surprised no one has ever thought of it before. Sounds better then frozen pizza.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Thu 4 Feb, 2010 09:19 pm
http://images.nymag.com/images/2/daily/2010/02/20100204_pizzabrackets_560x463.jpg
http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2010/02/best_pizza_in_america_the_visu.html?e=grubstreet--20100204
http://images.nymag.com/images/2/daily/2010/02/20100204_pizzabrackets.pdf
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Thu 4 Feb, 2010 10:36 pm
As far as commercially-made pizzas (i.e. not home-made), the absolutely top-of-the-line piazza used to be Regina's Pizza in Boston. I hasten to add that I'm talking about the 1950s and '60s here when there was only one Regina's Pizza Parlor and that was well-hidden on a little side street in the North End which is Boston's version of Little Italy. Everything was home-made, from the dough to the sauce and you could see the pizza chef out back hand-grating cheese from a huge chunk onto the pie. Outstanding. Back in those days I think a large pizza with everything on it cost, like, two bucks maybe. A bottle of Bud to go with it was .35 cents. Then, around 1963 or so, it got exhorbitant and the beer went up to half a buck a bottle. Talk about inflation!

But Regina, like evrything else, was a victim of its own success. I don't recommend it that highly any more today.
tsarstepan

Thu 4 Feb, 2010 10:40 pm
@Merry Andrew,
You don't happen to have a time machine MA to take us back the the peak era of Regina's Pizza, non? I'll buy you a pizza and a couple of beers! Very Happy
Merry Andrew

Thu 4 Feb, 2010 10:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
You don't happen to have a time machine MA

I wish.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Thu 4 Feb, 2010 10:54 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
There's a new chain place opening here (Papa's Murphy's) that will sell you a home made, take and bake pizza that is oven ready. The price is a couple of bucks less than a Domino's pizza of similar size. Has anyone tried something like that before?

Papa Murphy's is good, better than all of the chain made places. If you get the family size, especially with a coupon which around here are easy to find, it is a heck of a lot cheaper than Domino's et al.
Linkat

Fri 5 Feb, 2010 11:43 am
@Merry Andrew,
The one in the North end is still there and still the best as far as Regina's goes - you may be referring to the new chains of Regina's you see in all these malls - they s*ck. The original place still tastes better. Still not the best pizza though - although excellent.

0 Replies

Linkat

Fri 5 Feb, 2010 11:48 am
@engineer,
It is very good. I've had them when I've out west.

But the very best pizza place I've ever been with the absolutely best tasting pizza (other than perhaps Italy) is a little place in Red Lodge Montanta - called the Red Lodge Pizza Co. They advertise "Pizza you can write home about!" And honestly it is. I couldn't believe this little town in Montana had the best pizza I've eaten.

http://www.thepizzaco.com/
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Tue 27 Jul, 2010 07:01 pm
Quote:
Boston lends its name to baked beans and custard-filled pie, but when it comes to pizza, New York hogs the glory. But how often do you eat baked beans and Boston cream pie? And how often do you eat pizza? Boston loves a good pie as much as New York does, and there are plenty of excellent examples in the area, from the famous (Regina, Santarpio’s) to the neighborhood favorites (Armando’s, Tony’s Place), the no-frills (Galleria Umberto) to the upscale (Scampo). One year ago we went on an extended pizza crawl to pinpoint some of the best. You voted then, and declared Gran Gusto, Zing!, Regina Pizzeria, Santarpio's, and The Upper Crust as your top five favorites. Is that still the case today? Check out Devra First's picks, and share your top choice at the end. We'll see which eatery wins this year. The following establishments are worth their sauce; those with an asterisk deserve particular notice. Long live Boston pizza.

— Devra First, Globe Staff

For the wonderful slideshow:

http://www.boston.com/ae/restaurants/gallery/pizzacrawl/
Razz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 27 Jul, 2010 09:11 pm
@engineer,
I just saw this and laughed. Sorry, engineer.
0 Replies