29

Best Pizza thread!

1  
Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2019 09:37 pm
havent had a pizza in over a year and reading the above and seeing the pictures, I gotta say , Im not having a splurge urge . I there something wrong with me to not even crave a pizza any more.

NOW , whole wheat Penne slovred with a white clam sauce (redolent of parsley, garlic, romano cheese,with a tiny back flavor of a sweet white wine like a sauterne in the sauce). That is a whole nother thing.

In my late teen yout' wed Sunday ride our bikes to Reading Pa and get in as legal age members of the Victor Emmanuel II Societies. (Nobody'd raid them)> they would hve Pizza Siciliani . With or without minnies and onion or sausage and onion , or just plain cheese. They were fired in an old wood oven under the Schuylkill River Bridge.
They live in my memory as THE BEST pizza Ive eaten.
Now, Pizza is pretty much all the same, like Chinese or Mexican (You cn still find excellent examples but they usually dont last because they become victim of their own popularity). ESpecially in Washington DC.(everything down there becomes flavor of the yer and they start getting sloppy as the owners start tiring out and taking time off)

1  
Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2019 10:46 pm
I remember some good pizza joints in Chicago. I think that last time visit to Chicago, joefromchicago and a few a2kers went to one of the better ones on the north side. The line was long, but we waited a couple of hours. Sorry, but I don't remember the name.

ehBeth

1  
Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2019 06:46 pm
farmerman wrote:
Now, Pizza is pretty much all the same

nooooo

there are so many interesting pizzas out there - each little joint has their own specialties - the dough or their base sauces or crazy topping combos - still love experimenting and trying them out

I am kind of hooked on my version of Boston Pizza's Spicy Perogy Pizza, but I'm game to try almost all of the small shop varieties.
ehBeth

1  
Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2019 08:53 pm
@ehBeth,
John Candy grew up in this neighbourhood.

My fav local joint has this on the menu

JOHN CANDYED HAM

SWEET HAM, ITALIAN SAUSAGE, CRISPY BACON, BACK BACON, MARINARA SAUCE.

yum

my fav (mebbe) here

AIN'T NO MIS-STEAK DINNER

ROASTED GARLIC CREAM SAUCE, SEASONED SHAVED TOP SIRLOIN, DANISH BLUE CHEESE, CARAMELIZED ONIONS, MUSHROOMS AND SLICED BAKED POTATO

1  
Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2019 09:12 pm
@ehBeth,
Just reminded me reading your post. I have some jack cheese in the frighted I'm going to attack. thx

1  
Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2019 11:53 pm
@ehBeth,
I think pizza mmories are based on ho you were with when eating said dish.

Im stickin with that because anyone can make an edible pie. Ive had great pizza slices from a gas station but remember the event of ating them with a special friend or a travel xperience.

1  
Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2019 01:46 am
tsarstepan wrote:
Does one city have a monopoly for the title for the best singular region for the best pizza?
Yes.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit-style_pizza

1  
Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2019 07:01 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:
Yes.

I admit that I am intrigued by Detroit style pizza especially since I seen a few reviews (Time Out NY and Grubstreet) on a couple of Detroit style pizza joints opening in NYC. I love this style of crust. I will be giving it a shot sometime this winter.
ehBeth

1  
Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2019 07:36 pm
farmerman wrote:
Im stickin with that because anyone can make an edible pie.

definitely a nope on that

ehBeth

1  
Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2019 07:37 pm
I'm a definite no on Detroit-style pizza crust. Way too much crust and too much work to eat it. As much as I love a good pizza crust, this is not it.

neptuneblue

1  
Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2019 08:30 pm
Saturday is National Bagel Day and National Pizza Day. Where to get freebies and deals

Kelly Tyko, USA TODAY Published 5:40 p.m. ET Feb. 8, 2019 | Updated 9:17 p.m. ET Feb. 8, 2019

Saturday is both National Pizza Day and National Bagel Day.

And like other made-up food holidays, it's a day to save some dough as restaurants across the nation celebrate with freebies and deals.

According to votes on Ranker, a crowd-sourced voting platform, “the greatest pizza delivery chains in the world” are: Papa John’s Pizza, Domino’s Pizza, Pizza Hut, Little Caesars and Godfather’s Pizza.

While many chain restaurants will celebrate the two popular foods Feb. 9, it's also a good day for business for local restaurants, according to an analysis by Womply, a small business software provider.

“Whether you plan to snag a bagel in the morning or a pizza in the evening, you should find the wait time surprisingly normal at your favorite eatery on National Pizza/Bagel Day,” said Brad Plothow, Womply vice president of brand and communications.

Getting a pizza Saturday also can help hunger relief.

Slice, a mobile app that works with more than 10,000 pizzerias, is working with Feeding America to host the first-ever “Pizza for Change.”

On Saturday, for every pizza ordered on Slice, the company will make a donation. Download Slice at www.slicelife.com.

Pancake pizza?: IHOP takes a slice out of National Pizza Day with its 'Pancizza'