Would you eat laboratory grown meat? (Gotta be better than soylent green?)

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 02:17 am
Quote:
From The Sunday Times
November 29, 2009
Scientists grow pork meat in a laboratory

SCIENTISTS have grown meat in the laboratory for the first time. Experts in Holland used cells from a live pig to replicate growth in a petri dish.

The advent of so-called “in-vitro” or cultured meat could reduce the billions of tons of greenhouse gases emitted each year by farm animals " if people are willing to eat it.

So far the scientists have not tasted it, but they believe the breakthrough could lead to sausages and other processed products being made from laboratory meat in as little as five years’ time.

They initially extracted cells from the muscle of a live pig. Called myoblasts, these cells are programmed to grow into muscle and repair damage in animals.

The cells were then incubated in a solution containing nutrients to encourage them to multiply indefinitely. This nutritious “broth” is derived from the blood products of animal foetuses, although the intention is to come up with a synthetic solution.

The result was sticky muscle tissue that requires exercise, like human muscles, to turn it into a tougher steak-like consistency.

“You could take the meat from one animal and create the volume of meat previously provided by a million animals,” said Mark Post, professor of physiology at Eindhoven University, who is leading the Dutch government-funded research.

Post and his colleagues have so far managed to develop a soggy form of pork and are seeking to improve its texture. “What we have at the moment is rather like wasted muscle tissue,” Post said.

“We need to find ways of improving it by training it and stretching it, but we will get there. This product will be good for the environment and will reduce animal suffering. If it feels and tastes like meat, people will buy it.”

At present there is a question mark over the taste as laboratory rules prevent the scientists eating the fruits of their labour.

The Dutch experiments follow the creation of “fish fillets” derived from goldfish muscle cells in New York and pave the way for laboratory-grown chicken, beef and lamb.

The project, which is backed by a sausage manufacturer and has received £2m from the Dutch government, is seeking additional public funds to improve the technology.............

Full story here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/article6936352.ece

I would be happy to if it is healthy, does not involve cruelty to animals, and is good for the environment.

http://www.reuters.com/article/scienceNews/idUSL3051670020070601

http://www.sphere.com/2009/11/30/scientists-create-lab-grown-pork-bacon-industry-unmoved/

Ionus

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 04:46 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
the intention is to come up with a synthetic solution.
I want to know what that is first.
Quote:
We need to find ways of improving it by training it
Will it squeel like a pig for me ? Jump from plate to plate ?
I want to place an order for a cubic chicken that lays cubic eggs.
farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 04:52 am
@Ionus,
I heard the radio piece on Studio 360 or one of them. The researchesr had not a clue about the desirability of this product and its cost to production. He said that "Issues of scaling and large scale production" need to be solved before there is a commercial "MEATLON" product (I got dibbies on Meatlon). I suppose that, if they can make it cheaply and its not too dsigucting, we could use it to stuff sausages and kielbasi.

I guess my answer to debs question is NOT YET.
Ionus

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 05:22 am
@farmerman,
I would like to see it replace fish first, so we can replenish the oceans and not eat heavy metals.
farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 05:24 am
@Ionus,
Theyll never be able to make decent artificial clams.
Ionus

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 05:37 am
@farmerman,
I wonder why they went for meat and not fruit and veges ?
farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 05:44 am
@Ionus,
I dont know of any People for the Ethical Teatment of Oranges.
Ionus

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 06:12 am
@farmerman,
That sounds like colour discrimination to me....But you have a good point..surely it would get the hippies off their back ? In fact, I will form PETO right now. We will orange mail them into making donations to our organisation. Wannabe secretary ? You will have to call me El Presidente..thats not a problem is it ?
Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 06:16 am
@farmerman,
Given the Federal standards for sausage in the United States, there should be no reasonable objection to the use of this product. I believe that Bismarck is credited with saying that the less people know about how laws and sausages are made, the better.
Ionus

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 06:21 am
@Setanta,
Yes, I think he said - It is better if people do not see laws and sausages being made. In Australia, I think we have beaten balony for the worlds worst meat. We have sausages that are not labelled, beef or pork - they are simply "meat" sausages - which is just plain scary.
farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 06:22 am
@Ionus,
I need you to put together a business plan while I go over here and have some coffee.

PS, Ill be treasurer and secretary.
farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 06:23 am
@Setanta,
what are the Federal Standards for sausage making? Do I want to know?
Ionus

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 06:25 am
@Ionus,
I remember now - he said : Laws are like sausages..it is best if people do not see them being made.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 06:26 am
@farmerman,
I think so long as you dont put meat in it, you wont need to follow any laws.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 06:27 am
@farmerman,
I have always meant to say how striking a resemblance you have to Grant. Do you drink too, because that could be important .....
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 06:48 am
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/cd/OryxAndCrake.jpg/200px-OryxAndCrake.jpg

Genetically engineered food is not the only topic explored in Atwood's novel but it was certainly creepy.
Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 06:50 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
what are the Federal Standards for sausage making? Do I want to know?

No, not really. Most people abandon the effort after reading of the acceptable levels of insect parts and rodent faeces.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 06:53 am
This is a SERIOUS question!!!!

You're all PLAYING!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 06:54 am
@Tai Chi,
Yes?

Why was it spooky?
dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 06:59 am
@farmerman,
So...if it tasted good and was ok healthwise, you'd not object?