BBB is in the hospital

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 05:48 pm
Will write more later but I want to tell you about the doctor and therapist that saved my life.

The physical therapist recommended that I get an X-ray of my left rib after it got so sore. He was concerned about continuing the exercizes.

Because it was my primary doctor's day off, I went to urgent care. The doctor, a hispantic man, had X-rays taken. When he sawthem, he asked me if I'd been sick. "Nope, no syptoms" so I was surprised when he said I had fluid in my lung and he thought I had pnemonia. He wrote me a antibiotic prescription for pnemonia and sharted to leave. Then, he turned around an sat down. I could see the wheels turning in his head. He said, "you know, sometimes blood clots will create the same look in your lungs." He called another clinic 10 mines away to have their tech do a dopler test on my legs. Took an hour for her to arrive. As soon as she finished the test and showed it to the doctor, he came my into the room and announced that he had ordered a anbulance to drive me to Presbyterian hospital about 15 miles away because my life was at risk. Lynn has already written about the treatments. etc., but I want everyone that there are some really good doctors out there. As soon I'm able, I going to give that doctor a big hug and thank him for saving my life.

Poor, Butrflynet, she needs a rest from her crazy mom. I love you sweet daughter and my love-bug doggies. I'm so glad to be home.

Thanks to everyone for your caring support. A2K is like family to use.

BBB
Izzie

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 06:01 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Oh... BBB Dear Lady - very glad to see you home and with your daughter and dogs. Do take very good care and keep moving as much as your able, get those O2 levels up and the circulation moving around - circle your ankles and that sort of exercise.

Did you bring some 02 home?

DELIGHTED you are home and able to post.

Butrfly - you did a stirling job keeping us informed about your Mom - thanku - you go rest too when you can.

Most of all make this a very happy holiday for you and the animals. So pleased you are back together again.

<BBB - please do as they ask you to do - we care - you need to do the PT - much hugs and love to you dear lday.

((((((((((((BBB))))))))))))) ((((((((((((((Butrfly)))))))))))))))))))))

Happy holidays to you - wishing you peace, healing thoughts, health and happines...

Iz xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 06:06 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BBB,

I'm just now learning of your medical crisis of recent days and have been going through all the posts. I was very happy to see, on this last page, your post above.
It sounds like you are in pretty good spirits and have been in very capable hands with your M.D.

Hope you continue to make rapid progress!

All the best! --jjorge
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 06:11 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Glad to see you back on the boards, and good for the urgent care doc. There are a really surprising number of doctors who enter the field to help people, and many of them don't lose their ideals.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 06:15 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Okay, that makes me cry.
Be well, talk with you tomorrow.

Throwing the p t guy some roses.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 07:46 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Give that doctor a hug from us too! Wonderful news. This just adds to the joy and love of Christmas time.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 07:53 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
So good to see that BBB is home again.

Great to read about a therapist and doctor that were really on the ball and got you the help you needed. Sounds like you've got some work ahead of you - listen to Izzie tellin' you to listen to the physio. I hope they find a good old-school dame of a physio to keep you moving Cool I love 'em.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 10:39 pm
Wow! What a stroke of luck that you got THAT urgent care doctor! Whew, sounds like a close call. Yes, I'd give him a big hug, too!

I'm so happy to hear you'll be at home with your daughter and your doggies for the holidays. Merry Christmas to all of you!!! And much love....
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 12:49 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Glad you're home. Glad you're on the mend. Glad you had the right doctor at the right time.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 02:20 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
Poor, Butrflynet, she needs a rest from her crazy mom. I love you sweet daughter and my love-bug doggies. I'm so glad to be home.

Wonderful, BBB!

And particularly wonderful to hear your own "voice" again here! Smile
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 11:18 am
Yay! I'm glad you're home, BBB!
Swimpy

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 11:29 am
@mac11,
Quote:
Yay! I'm glad you're home, BBB!

Me, too, as well.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 11:54 am
It snowed here last night!

BBB had a good night sleep, a shower and a good non-hospital food breakfast and is resting comfortably in her recliner with a blanket and her doggies on her lap to keep her warm.

She's starting to feel the coumadin chills. She's layered in blankets and I've got the heat cranked up and am wearing shorts and a sleeveless shirt.

We have an appointment this afternoon with her primary care doctor to check her oxygen levels, go over all the new meds and how her old meds may interact with each other and what should be taken when and set up the home care/coumadin clinic schedules.

0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 01:31 pm
Sending positive warm thoughts your way BBB.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 06:08 pm
Mom is doing much much better. I drove her to the urgent care clinic today so she could thank the doctor who saved her life. They were both crying in each other's arms. It was very touching. He was very happy to see her, said that she was in extreme danger on Friday and was glad to see her doing so much better.

It was a nice Christmas gift for all of us.

We saw her primary care doctor yesterday, reviewed all the various meds she's taking now, when and what to take in combination with which, etc. Her primary care doc said that even she may not have made the connection and looked for blood clots. It was a series of fortunate occurrences that the right people were in place at the right time and taking the time to think deeper than what the initial indications were pointing toward.

Mom's blood oxygen levels are decreasing again. They were up to 98 when she was discharged and at the doctor's office yesterday they were down to 94/95. Didn't seem to concern the doctor as long as it was above 90.

Visiting nurse/home care will be here next Monday to evaluate the house for home safety, do some blood work, set us up with regular lab appts at the neighborhood clinic rather than having to go across town, and get mom started on some very mild movement exercises. We already have safety bars all over her bathroom and shower, a shower chair and all obstacles and pathways clear. Not sure how much more there is left to do, but it will be good to have what we've already done validated. The next thing will be to eventually have some small ramps built for the front and garage entrances to the house so she can navigate in and out of the house easily when she needs to use her mobility scooter.

I bought that resistance chair and mini-bike I posted about earlier. It was delivered yesterday and I assembled it today.

Everything seems to be on schedule and she's doing very well. She stopped taking her pain meds yesterday and that has eased the fuzzy-headedness and dizzy spells she was experiencing. Even took her grocery shopping with me today and got her to walk through the produce aisles with me to select fruit and veggies before she got too tired and had to go sit at the front of the store and wait for me to quickly finish. Still no need for pain meds, so perhaps the worst of it has now passed.
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 06:13 pm
Awesome! I met your mom at Bob and Diane's house a couple of years ago. I can't recall what we talked about - some subject of mutual interest. She is a fascinating lady to talk to.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 06:15 pm
Merry Christmas BBB and Butrflynet. Glad to hear some positive news.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 06:20 pm
@Butrflynet,
Now there's a post that's a pleasure to read.

Touching, BBB's visit with the urgent care doc. I understand it from both sides and think it's great you two did that.

Your last sentence brought to mind some concerns I have here, there, and everywhere... not enough benches around for people who need them.
I first noticed this when a friend and my husband and I were walking through the then new Getty, and the friend had a hell of a time making it through the zig zag garden by Robert Irwin. One small bench in the whole place, at least back then.

Benches got problematic as design spots after the evolution of the homeless situation. I think this is too bad.

I guess I'm rattling on when BBB has a wheel chair thing or maybe the riding cart - but it's one of my general gripes about contemporary design that there are not enough rest spots for those even temporarily enfeebled.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 02:58 pm
Butrflynet drove me to the clinic Saturday so I could thank the urgent care doctor who saved my life. Dr. Carlos Lopez and I had a big hug when we met. He was so relieved to see me because he had feared I hadn't reached the hospital in time to save my life. He said he had been monitoring my progress on his hospital computer.

I told him he was a special doctor who, when he couldn't believe what the X-ray seemed to be conflicting with what I was telling him about my symptoms, he thought outside the box. His ordering the doppler exam and he discovered I had blood clots from my hip to my ankle in my right leg and large blood clots in my left lung. I told him my primary doctor said she probably would have missed the blood clots and she was greatful to Dr. Lopez for his correct diagnosis because he saw me instead of her because it was her day off.

Then I told him the story of how I was nicknamed by the staff as the "volcana lady" which is literally too shitty to tell you.

Everyone at the clinic is praising Dr. Lopez for saving my life. He was very emotional and said I made a wonderful Christmas for him by coming in to see him. He's an hosptal emergency room doctor and only works at the clinic two days a week. I was lucky he worked the Saturday he discovered my deadly blood clots and saved my life.

BBB
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 03:13 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I did a Google search of "Dr Carlos Lopez New Mexico" and came up with one hit. Emergency medicine in Alb. His undated brief profile described him as have been an MD for 34 years, which would make him about 60. Is this the right person? Education background etc is available but only for a fee.
Anyway, it is great that your story has had a happy ending. Take care.
Osso sent me a picture of you and me at Dys & Diane's. Me leaning in, listening to you.