BBB is in the hospital

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:32 am
Checking in, looking for an update.... still early in ABQ.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 06:59 pm
Just getting home from the hospital. BBB is doing much better. They're now focused on improving her lung capacity and oxygen levels in her blood. If she can get that at a steady level she will be discharged either tomorrow or Tuesday. I'm guessing it will be Tuesday, but she may surprise us.

The coumadin is definitely taking effect. She's got huge bruising all over her arms at any site they've installed ports or taken blood the last few days. She's getting some of her appetite back and that is also helping to build up her strength. She's also off the morphine and just taking Tylenol now so that's a big improvement. She's also in better spirits, joking around with the nurses and laughing a bit.

I'm investigating the possibility of getting some pneumatic mechanical compression leggings for her at home until she can get back to doing her physical therapy. Have to get the doctor's okay and see how much it will cost and what the insurance will cover.

Also have to take the dogs up to the groomer and get their nails trimmed so they don't tear her skin with their claws when they welcome her home.

She misses her doggies and they miss her.

I've got to get busy doing her laundry so she'll have some clean sheets and clothes when she comes home.

Will update tomorrow when I know more.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:07 pm
@Butrflynet,
Good to hear, bfn.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:32 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thoughts and prayers are with BBB, Butrflynet. Glad she is doing better.

((BBB))
mis
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:36 pm
@Butrflynet,
Really great news. Good to hear.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:38 pm
@Butrflynet,
(Still ommmmming in Oz)

This is very good news, Butrflynet!

I'm hoping that you are able to rest easier now. You must be exhausted.

But wouldn't I just love to be a fly on the wall & witness BBB's reunion with her beloved critters! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Any idea at this stage of when that might be?
Swimpy

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 07:52 pm
@Butrflynet,
Great news! Keep up the good work, BBB.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:15 pm
@msolga,
Could be as early as tomorrow but will probably be Tuesday. Depends on how much improvement there is in her lung capacity and blood oxygen levels.
msolga

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:19 pm
@Butrflynet,
Ah. So BBB might be home for Christmas then? Smile

I'm hoping (for you) that looking after your mother is manageable for you, Butrflynet. (Sometimes I wish that hospitals would hold onto patients a little longer, these days, just to be on the safe side.)
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 08:47 pm
@msolga,
Been doing that for six months now. To be honest, I was and am worried about her, but having her being cared for by the hospital staff for a few days has also been a bit of a break for me. I'm not having to cook meals for the both of us, butt heads about what and when to cook, fetching things, cleaning etc. Also bought myself a steak to cook tonight as a treat while she's gone. She has difficulty eating beef so we don't have it much. I've been craving a nicely grilled steak. Haven't had one for several years. I've also been able to be queen of the remote control for once! Wink Just haven't had much time or desire to watch anything.

The hardest part has been the very long long long walk to and from the parking garage, through the doctor's building, across the adjoining lobby and into the hospital and over to the opposite corner of the 4th floor. Takes nearly 10 minutes just to get there. The muscles in my legs are burning from all the walking I've done the last several days. It's good for me!

The part that worries me is her falling again while on the coumadin or the dogs tearing her fragile skin with their claws while trying to give her kisses.
msolga

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 09:00 pm
@Butrflynet,
I sounds like you definitely needed/still need a break, Butrflynet. I have never had to care for a person in such an intensive way, but I know how wearing it can be from others who have. It sounds like you've done a terrific job!

May I suggest a bubble bath, some wine & maybe a DVD of a film you you've been meaning to see, tonight? Whatever appeals. Relax, unwind, enjoy. Smile

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 09:03 pm
@Butrflynet,
I relate to that, had a steak the night after my eye surgery, big splurge, hadn't had one in at least a couple of years.

No trolleys or carts from the parking lot? Much as those guys at UNM trolley town were a hoot, it is a really helpful service. I know Roberta could've used one many times with her hospital visits.

Yes, I worry about the nails too. It'd be extra, I'm guessing, but (maybe you already know this) they can file them as well as clip..

will she be going to a coumadin clinic to watch the levels (I'm guess so).
littlek

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 09:12 pm
Thanks for the update, Butrfly!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 09:14 pm
Sounds like you're both doing better, BFN! Hugs to both of you...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 09:50 pm
@ossobuco,
She's supposed to have her blood tested twice a week for the first several weeks then once a month. She'll be on the stuff for about 6 months if all goes right, then they'll wean her off.

We're hoping the lab at the neighborhood clinic a mile down the street will be able to do the testing rather than having to drive the 10 miles back and forth to the hospital.

Osso, they have a six-level parking garage that you have to walk across to get to the elevators, then up and across the first floor and through the connector lobby and up another elevator and across that to the opposite corner. Trolly won't help much for this situation.

They do have vallet parking but it would only eliminate the walk across the parking garage and up one of the elevators and it costs $3 a pop.

When she is discharged, I'm going to bring her transport chair with me so she won't have to do much walking from the car to get into the house. So that they don't jump her when she gets in the door, I'll probably have to shut the dogs up in a bedroom and let her get settled first before releasing the Lick-Lick hounds upon her. Dolly will go nuts with her little cries of orgasmic joy, relentless squirming and tongue licking of every bare patch of skin she can reach with it. Maddy will get jealous and yip in his soprano voice, standing on hind legs waving his front paws around until he gets some attention and Dolly makes room for him on her lap...then he'll get in his share of licks and Maddy kisses too. BBB will probably be crying too, and then she and Dolly will sing together. They both throw back their heads and howl together in harmony. One of these days I hope to get a video of that and share it.

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 10:15 pm
@Butrflynet,
Laughs, I hope you can video it at some point, Bfn.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 03:25 am
@Butrflynet,
So very good to hear BBB has improved Butrlfy and that she will be home shortly.

Do take care of yourself too girl.

Wishing you both a very Happy and Peaceful Christmas. xx
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 05:12 am
Glad to read things seem to be better.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 09:20 am
@Butrflynet,
BBB, at least when I was in the same hosp, the Coumadin clinic (where they do the monitoring) was at Caseman Hosp on the far east side of town. They has some probs getting my levels correct but I only needed to continue for about 4 months.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 12:54 pm
Butrflynet- Just noticed this thread. Give BBB a kiss for me, and tell her that I am thinking about her! Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
0 Replies