BBB is in the hospital

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 03:12 pm
Anyone familiar with this product? Would this be something that would be good for BBB? Looks like it would be very low or null impact on her joints and back. And, it is sturdy enough that we could both use it to get some needed exercise. I'm also looking at the short-stroke mini bike attachment. So far, all the reviews I've read on various consumer review sites have only good things to say. I'm going to print out the page and have her PT take a look at it, but wanted to see if anyone here has any opinion of it. The chair is $239 and the additional mini-bike attachment is $129.

http://www.vqactioncare.com/prod-cfrc100.php

The Resistance Chair
Exercise & Rehabilitation System

http://www.vqactioncare.com/images/Jo-250web-two.jpg

http://www.vqactioncare.com/images/Mini-Bike-550.jpg

Everything You Need for a Complete
Chair Exercise Program!

Recommended and utilized by health professionals
Low-impact and smooth resistance
Suitable for all fitness levels
Safe and very easy to use
Great for many post-op rehab uses
Comes ready to use; no assembly required!
Lightweight and stores easily
Ideal for anyone with limited mobility
Improves strength, flexibility & balance

The World's Most Convenient Home Gym: The Resistance ChairĀ® exercise system allows you to do a full body workout from a safe, comfortable seated position. Because you remain seated, you maintain balance and stability as you exercise your arms, chest, shoulders, abdomen, back, and legs. The patented Resistance Anchor Cableā„¢ system offers a wide range of upper body and lower body exercises and provides smooth, low-impact resistance without use of heavy weights. The Resistance Chair system is made of very strong, commercial-grade construction with thick-wall steel tubing. It's built to withstand frequent use in gyms and rehab centers and has been tested to easily hold up to 400 pounds.
Pemerson

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 03:24 pm
I've read both BBB and Butrfly for ages, I think. BBB seems a very powerful woman and she has a good friend in you. All the power to you both.

Feel better, BBB, and that chair sounds like a perfect way to exercise at home - for both of you. Hope the medications level out.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 03:27 pm
I just found this thread. Sending oooooooooommmmms and hugs from Houston to BBB & Butrflynet.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 06:21 pm
Get well BBB (Better Busy Body)!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 06:33 pm
@Butrflynet,
Looks useful, but I don't know much.

I'd check on (I suppose you already are) physical rehab sites. I used to have a clinical lab aligned to a rheumatology clinic, and downstairs was this primo (at the time) rehab facility, including a prosthetics department. I no longer remember the words, if I ever knew them, for various kinds of rehab, but I'm guessing there is room for exploration.

Well, I'm guessing a lot of major university hospitals have rehab facilities, I'd check out websites related to those, and then explore if they mention useful equipment.
msolga

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 06:37 pm
Just popping in to check if there's any further news, Butrflynet.

And continuing ommmmmming in Oz.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 11:07 pm
@ossobuco,
She has access to physical therapy via Presbyterian, but it is $15 for each visit and it is only for 8 weeks.

I figured she could do the PT once she gets cleared to do so again by her doctor and then this would be good for her to continue the work once the insurance coverage stops.

The double benefit is that we'd both have use of it too.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 11:10 pm
@msolga,
Was at the hospital this afternoon and evening. Looks a bit iffy on her coming home tomorrow. Her blood oxygen levels are at 91 now and they want her to get it up to 98.

They may decide to send her home with an oxygen tank rather than keep her another day to work with the PT there. Won't know for sure until the doctor does his rounds tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'm taking advantage of her being gone to get some projects done around the house that she would have liked to "supervise" the doing of. Wink
Izzie

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 02:09 am
@Butrflynet,
Hey Butrfly - it's a shame BBB's O2 levels have dropped - mind you, I think it's better her being in hospital where they can look after her more easily and the PT can get her moving around and more active without you having to worry so much. That will help her 02 levels also. I would imagine she is desperate to come home - do get what you need to do, done and rest up whilst you can girl. You take care.

(((((((((((BBB' Butrfly)))))))))
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 05:46 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

T Doc says she needs to keep moving and get more active in spite of her osteoarthritis aches.

A few points:

A flotation water mattress will help prevent bed sores. They cost about $100 and last a long time, if handled with care.

Another thing to keep in mind is her protein intake. Be sure she's getting enough to eat in the protein department.

She needs to be seen on regular basis by a visting nurse and a nutritionist.

And keep the radio/tv on at low vol to keep her mentally alert.

Keep the faith...everything will work out for the best.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 05:54 am
@Butrflynet,
I hope, Butrflynet, that they keep BBB in hospital until she's quite a bit fitter than this. For her sake & yours.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 07:35 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
we could both use it to get some needed exercise.

I'm curious. Is there a reason you're unable to get out for a walk with the dogs a couple of times a day? Probably be good for all of you in the house. The dogs certainly sound as if they could use a good training/discipline regimen and access to regular exercise.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 11:19 am
@ehBeth,
interesting idea, low cost and benefit for all.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 11:30 am
@ehBeth,
I already am doing that. She's not sturdy enough on her feet to join us just yet. That's part of what we were hoping to accomplish with the physical therapy when this episode started.

As far as training, Maddy is easy to train. Dolly, like most shitzoos, has a mind of her own and takes many months and lots of practice to get her to do even the smallest thing. We're still working on getting her to poop outside. So far her target territory has gone from all over the house to a small patch of carpet we had installed in front of her doggie door. She just hasn't yet figured out that if she takes two more steps she'll be outside and has the whole backyard to poop in. Tried moving the carpet outdoors and she just started pooping all over the house again. It isn't that she doesn't use the doggie door. She hardly spends any time inside anymore because she loves it so much. She just comes in to poop, eat and sing with BBB.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 11:59 am
Just got word that she's going to be discharged at 2 pm today. Have made arrangements with the discharge planner for her to have home health care/visiting nurse who will also do the Coumadin blood testing rather than her having to go to the clinic.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 12:01 pm
@Butrflynet,
Good, and good re the discharge planner and the coumadin testing..
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 03:48 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Just got word that she's going to be discharged at 2 pm today....

YAY! I've just been quietly following along, sending happy thoughts to you both.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 04:42 pm
She's now home and resting comfortably in her recliner. As predicted, she and the dogs are having a love-fest and hootenanny sing-a-long. Dolly may explode she's so exuberantly happy.

She's okay to receive calls and talk if anyone is so inclined. If you don't have the phone number, PM me and I'll give it to you.

Thank you everyone for your ohmming and supportive comfort for both of us.
littlek

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 05:19 pm
@Butrflynet,
Yippee! Home is good!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 05:24 pm
Good she's home. May she rest well and recover quickly.
0 Replies