BBB is in the hospital

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 09:52 pm
thats fantastic.

Now she can get up and chase those puppies!!!

brilliant!
I am so glad they are gone! Smile
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 10:03 pm
@Butrflynet,
Good news re: your mom. Hope you get good news on Monday!
Roberta

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 07:40 am
@Tai Chi,
Ditto from me.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 10:02 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
....In the meantime she's taken herself off the pain killers (oxycotton) because they were causing severe constipation. So far, Tylenol has been a good replacement....

If Tylenol isn't good enough, see if she can get Tramadol as a kind of intermediate painkiller. I'm finding it's not as bad as the Oxycontin, Oxycodone, and it seems to do more than Tylenol, but she should probably stay on Tylenol if it's working for her.

And, yeah! Good news! Smile
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 10:11 am
I am thrilled that BBB's situation has improved somewhat. Keeping my fingers crossed she will be even better in coming days.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 10:31 am
@jespah,
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let her know. Is that a prescription or OTC drug?
jespah

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 10:35 am
@Butrflynet,
It's a prescript -- also known as Ultram. See: http://www.medicinenet.com/tramadol/article.htm
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 12:21 pm
I'm so relieved that the Sanford University Hospital is going to replace my son's right hip. The physician looked at his X-ray last week and said "you must be in severe pain---would you like us to replace your hip?" My son asked if there would be no cost to him for the susrgery? It will be done for free! It will be done as soon as all the paperwork is done and a sugery schedule is set. Stanford is a teaching hospital so I hope he gets a competent doctor if an intern/resident is assigned to his surgery.

My son has been in terrible pain for a very long time while he worked to support his family despite his pain. Eventually, he will have to have his left hip and left knee replaced. He had his right knee replaced last year. Poor boy's spine, hip and knee structure is inherited from me, but the type of work he has done for years was much more stressful on his bones than I had.

Butrflynet cooked her birthday dinner Sunday because I'm not up to doing it yet. She made her favorite flank steak. Dolly and Maddy doggies got some little bites, too.

She's in the process of designing the garden area we are going to create. She's gots a long list of vegies to plant. She loves to garden. The doggies love to dig so we are going to have to install a fence to keep them out of the garden.

BBB
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 04:24 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
BBB got some good news today. She had Doppler tests done on her legs to see how the clots were doing and there were none left anywhere in her legs and only very minor scarring. He said the blood flow is optimum.

Very good news indeed. Very happy to hear it!

Quote:
I go back on Monday for a follow up on the skin cancers that were removed to check on the healing.

Was that yesterday, Butrflynet? Here's hoping the healing is progressing as it should.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 04:37 pm
@msolga,
It was supposed to be today but the doctor was sick today so it has been rescheduled for tomorrow.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 05:07 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet, Happy Birthday!

A seasonal treat (I hope) -
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/cookingclub/2009/02/meyer_lemon_custard_cakes
http://www.bonappetit.com/images/magazine/2009/02/mare_meyer_lemon_custard_cakes_v.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 05:14 pm
@Butrflynet,
Oh, today is Monday! (I never get this right!)

And it's your birthday, too!

Happy birthday, Butrflynet!
My very best wishes for the next year of your life. I'm wishing a much gently, healthier & less stressful year for you.
Have a lovely day today. Very Happy
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 12:35 pm
@Butrflynet,
Just got a call from the doctor. She's going home sick again today so the appointment has been rescheduled to next Thursday.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 01:49 pm
We saw BBB's doctor today and if everything continues to go well, they will take her off the Coumadin at the end of March.

Yipee!
BorisKitten

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 02:17 pm
@Butrflynet,
Ah, good news! So glad to hear it!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 12:26 pm
My doctor said I could try exersizing again while I'm still taking Coumadin until March 31st to learn the effect. I will start slow and easy and try to behave myself.

BBB
msolga

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 04:06 pm
@Butrflynet,
That is excellent news, Butrflynet! Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 04:10 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
My doctor said I could try exersizing again while I'm still taking Coumadin until March 31st to learn the effect. I will start slow and easy and try to behave myself

Very Happy Yes, do your very best to behave yourself, BBB!

I'm very happy for you. Sounds like you're making terrific progress. Smile
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 01:06 pm
Good new! BBB saw her doctor yesterday and will be taking the last of the Coumadin in 2 days. She'll now be on an aspirin-a-day regimen and is scheduled for a follow-up Doppler test on her legs in two months to be sure the blood clots are not recurring. She's also being taken off her osteoporosis meds for a year and will then have another bone density test to see how she's doing. She's been on it for 5 years and her doctor thinks it is time for her to take a break from it to avoid the damaging side effects.

The warmer weather here seems to have relieved some of her joint and back pains too. Sure would be nice if we can get through the summer without her needing hip replacement surgery.
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 05:55 pm
@Butrflynet,
You may be on to something regarding the diet. I read again the list of food items that are high in vitamin k and it seems most green vegetables, especially the leafy green ones, are the culprits that are high in vitamin k. We've been eating lettuce salads regularly for lunch as we have always done.

btrflyner :
came across your post today .
i've been on coumadin since december 2009 .
my INR ( coumadin level ) is usually aound 2.4 - 2.5 but has been higher and lower at times .
my doctor talked about being careful with " greens " and beef liver .
there seems to be a lot of wrong info on the web re. " greens " etc.

finally found a site that i trust a little more .
will be going for test and see doctor next week ( perhaps to educate him - no better not ) .

here is one of the sites ( another to follow ) :

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/cc/coumadin1.pdf

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/SR18/nutrlist/sr18w430.pdf