Another reason why I'm against capital punishment

Linkat

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 11:48 am
@Ionus,
I also wanted to add that I do not make a big fuss over killing murders and such on death row - because quite honestly I don't have a huge amount of sympathy toward them - I simply do not believe you should kill unless absolutely necessary.
BillRM

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 11:56 am
@Francis,
In the continuity of my stance, I prefer to let him have the benefit of the doubt, and, if some hidden redeeming quality remains, that he improves as a human being..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
So you would grant me the same benefit of the doubt as you would offer Ten Bundy how nice of you to do so.

The only problem is that I am not a mass or even single murderer and he is.

Somehow I had a lot more caring for the feelings of the mother and the father and other family members of the 9 year old raped and bury alive then for her killer.

I would cheerfully if call upon consider it not only a duty but an honor to aim the rifle or place the noose or throw the switch or place the needle in that gentleman arm.

As afterward I would be 100 percent sure he would not harm another little girl.
Francis

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 12:14 pm
@BillRM,
Bill, let me use this French saying:

- You don't have the monopoly of the heart.

I feel as much, if not more, for the victims as yourself.

The suffering of the murderers are secondary to that.
BillRM

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 12:45 pm
@Francis,
feel as much, if not more, for the victims as yourself.
The suffering of the murderers are secondary to that.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry but neither you or others anti-death penalty posters on this thread had given me the impression of caring greatly for the victims and their families.

0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:01 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

MA wrote:
My only hope, Francis, is that this moron will, sooner or later, run out of nonsense to post. It's too late to hope that he will ever learn to read and write...let alone think.

In the continuity of my stance, I prefer to let him have the benefit of the doubt, and, if some hidden redeeming quality remains, that he improves as a human being..

You're a better man than I am, Francis. I can no longer suffer fools gladly.
BillRM

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:16 pm
@Merry Andrew,
You're a better man than I am, Francis. I can no longer suffer fools gladly.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So you hate yourself.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:29 pm
BillRM wrote:
Sorry but neither you or others anti-death penalty posters on this thread had given me the impression of caring greatly for the victims and their families.

Had you been reading and understanding you probably would get quite a different impression..
BillRM

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 01:44 pm
@Francis,
Had you been reading and understanding you probably would get quite a different impression..
-------------------------------------------------------------
Perhaps but I do not think so.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 03:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Putting a person away for life without parole effectively rids the world of these people.
But it doesnt rid the world of them. They get to torture and kill other inmates and guards in conditions that dogs arent allowed to live in.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 04:00 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
He got into that position because too many white people in this country couldn't tell two blacks apart if one was male and the other female or one alive and the other dead. Eye witness IDs in these cases have a strange habit of being worthless.
I cant argue with that but I will add the police brainwashed the child into believeing it was him. Meanwhile, the guilty one walked free.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 04:02 pm
@Francis,
So you looked a starving child in the face and told them it was better they starve so we can feed murderers ?
Francis

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 04:05 pm
@Ionus,
Why do you insist in such fallacy?

You know perfectly well that the two things are not correlated.

Ionus

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 04:09 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
1. Guilt should be beyond any doubt whatsoever; the usual criteria of guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt" doesn't cut it for hanging somebody.
Agreed.
Quote:
2. The person in question must represent a continuing threat to society should he ever escape or otherwise get loose. The "bird man" of Alcatraz would not qualify, John Mohammed clearly would.
Agreed.
Quote:
3. I'd want all career/money incentives for convicting people of crimes gone which would mean scrapping the present "adversarial" system of justice in favor of something like the French "inquisitorial" system in which the common objective of all parties involved was a determination of facts.
Not sure about this. The French system doesnt work that well.
Quote:
4. I'd want there to be no societal benefit to keeping the person alive. Cases in which this criteria would prevent hanging somebody would include "Son of Sam" who we probably should want to study more than hang, or Timothy McVeigh who clearly knew more than the public ever was allowed to hear.
Agreed.
Francis

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 04:12 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
The French system doesnt work that well.

Can you give some examples as to enlighten us?
Ionus

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 04:14 pm
@Francis,
Quote:
You inference is insulting, but I suspect it's your real intent.
I dont think of you as someone who should be insulted. You have always been polite in arguing and thoughtful about a topic. William has his emotions involved, and when we remember we are talking about murder, I think he is entitled to be emotional but should draw the line at insults unless insulted first. I just wish he chose his words with greater care.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 04:17 pm
@Linkat,
We increasingly have limited resources. We have two extremes to consider. Expensive maintenance for murderers, and the starving. I think it sends a clear signal about our priorities.
Ionus

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 04:17 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
I also wanted to add that I do not make a big fuss over killing murders and such on death row - because quite honestly I don't have a huge amount of sympathy toward them - I simply do not believe you should kill unless absolutely necessary.
That seems to me to be reasonable.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 04:21 pm
@Francis,
My understanding is that if the police charge you, you have to prove your innocence. Is a judge going to adequately defend a person if he has no incentive to do so ?
Ionus

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 04:28 pm
@Francis,
Quote:
You know perfectly well that the two things are not correlated.
They are directly related. As I said to Linkat : We increasingly have limited resources. We have two extremes to consider. Expensive maintenance for murderers, and the starving. I think it sends a clear signal about our priorities.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 04:29 pm
@Ionus,
Your understanding is wrong.