Proof of nonexistence of free will

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 06:06 pm
@spendius,
Oh ok. If you say so Spendi. I really tried, but I was unable to extract that from the sentence.
But I have to admit that I am not always able to make sense of your statements either. But in your case it is more a matter of me being unfamiliar with cultural references that tend to color your posts.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 06:12 pm
@Cyracuz,
Yes Spendius did get the intended meaning in that sentence Cyr...
guigus

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 05:18 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

To my view there is nothing internal to anything that it is not brought up by the entirety, the history, the process, and context who gives it form and function. Hard Determinism is also about that...

I was talking about the internal consistency of your conceptual framework, your theory. Or you are saying that to be faithful to "the entirety, the history, the process," you must be incoherent?

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
Its factual that most of the members in this forum seam utterly limited in their compartmentalised reasoning upon most things...

Factual? Isn't this rather your opinion?

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
If I were to express to the full what I think in each paragraph and adjective they peak, oh well, I would be voted down in mass...

And why don't you start doing that right now? What is holding you? By the way, why don't you start by writing according to the grammar and syntax of proper English?

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
The worst kind are those who actually have some skills and knowledge that even are capable of clarity in many aspects, and that ultimately fail when to enclose long shot associations...

Or structuring a proper sentence...

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
I wish they could see how ridicule they are in their self confidence full of formal fallacy and simplicity...

Curious... That reminds me of someone else...

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
don´t worry you don´t get to that group you are far behind...

As twisted as your view is, this probably means I am at the vanguard!
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 05:25 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

guigus

You are the one who is claiming that the concept of existence has relevance to this discussion, so the burden of validating that claim falls on you.

If you make statements like...
Quote:
falsehoods must utterly refer to a nonexistent, otherwise they become the truth of whatever they refer to
...you need to have a clear definition of a "nonexistent".

A nonexistent is whatever does not exist, that is, whatever is nothing. Yet still, was this definition really necessary?

Cyracuz wrote:
If you share your definition with me I might be able to understand better what you mean by this statement, because as it is now it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Would you say unicorns exist?

I already had a very tiring discussion about unicorns in another thread of this forum, but fine, I'll repeat this one: for me, unicorns exist as possibilities, but not as actualities. Perhaps someday someone will engineer a unicorn, so it will be an actuality. But if you prefer to consider unicorns as impossible, then they are simply a falsehood, which refers, precisely, to nothing.
guigus

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 05:38 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Yes Spendius did get the intended meaning in that sentence Cyr...

Even so, it would be much easier if you wrote your sentences properly, don't you agree? As also much more pleasing...
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 05:42 pm
@guigus,
Quote:
A nonexistent is whatever does not exist, that is, whatever is nothing. Yet still, was this definition really necessary?

This is not a definition, it is nonsense. Nothing is nothing. If you can relate to it, it is something. That which is "nonexistent" cannot be percieved, thought about or referred to in any way.

"Existence" refers to physical reality. When you say that unicorns do not exist, what that means it that there is no physical representation of the concept of unicorn. But you cannot say that the concept unicorn does not exist. That's absurd, because if it was nonexistent you could not have any knowledge of it.

So if something does not exist it simply means that it has no direct relevance to the physical world. This only applies to objects. An idea cannot be said to be nonexistent unless no one has thought about it. Thus the concept of free will is not nonexistent. It is not subject to the question of existence. It is only subject to the question of meaning. But as I said, meaningless is not the same as nonexistent. And at the other end, existent isn't the same as meaningful.

guigus

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 05:43 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
So true as that there are ideas as sums of other ideas, and thus the change of words in the case intended as function avoiding unnecessary confusion

I understand it Cyr. He's talking about primary texts spawning secondary commentary which is seen as primary text on the next lowest rung and so on and so on until you get to the man in the street. Words change their meanings in the process. Like the "Burning Bush". At the level of the man in the street such words are easy to distance oneself one and even scoff at.

Sorry, I didn't notice you were talking about derivatives.
spendius

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 05:49 pm
@guigus,
That's right. If you want to know anything about the Bible read it.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 05:51 pm
@guigus,
Well that´s a fair demand, I will try to improve my writing in order to prevent unnecessary friction.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 05:53 pm
@spendius,
Do you really believe you can know the Word directly ? hmmm... Rolling Eyes
guigus

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 05:57 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:
One thing is for you to say that you do not believe in free will, and another thing is for you to say that it cannot exist. For the second assertion, you must provide arguments, and you are providing none.

I am not saying that it cannot exist. I am saying that speaking of existence in connection with "free will" is a category mistake.

So you are not saying it cannot exist, but instead you are saying it cannot exist. Oh, now I see!

Cyracuz wrote:
There is no question wether or not the concept exists. We have knowledge of it, and that is evidence enough that there is such a concept. But that does not establish the validity of the concept, which is what this discussion is really about.

Now you got it! You have to establish if free will exists or not, which is very different from assuming it cannot exist from the start, based on some supposed "category mistake."

Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:
Free will is our capacity to chose our own destiny, or to decide our own actions, which has the possible attributes of being rational or emotional, consistent or inconsistent, wise or stupid, and so on: it has all the possible attributes of any decision.

Are you saying that it is meaningful to discuss the existence of adjectives?

Just as much as you are proposing to discuss the question mark that ends your sentence.

Cyracuz wrote:
That's preposterous.

I would say ridiculous.

Cyracuz wrote:
They exist.

If you say so...

Cyracuz wrote:
However, if they are sufficient to describe what they seek to describe is the real issue.

So to you the character of a decision as being rational or emotional, consistent or inconsistent, wise or stupid, cannot be described by those adjectives? If you have better ones, please let me know.

Cyracuz wrote:
You are confusing "having existence" with "having truth value". But they are two different things, the latter having relevance to the concept of free will, while the former does not.

Your mind works in mysterious ways... how in the hell can establishing the truth of free will be practically different from establishing its real existence? I think your confusion is going too far...
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 06:32 pm
@guigus,
I think you are being deliberately dense.

Please tell me how it makes any sense to say that an idea can be nonexistent.

If there are no nazis in the world, does that mean the same to you as that nazism doesn't exist?

What about the latin language? It is not spoken anywhere in the world. The only place you can find it is in books, same as unicorns. Does that mean that the latin language does not exist?
guigus

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 06:32 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:

This is not a definition, it is nonsense. Nothing is nothing. If you can relate to it, it is something. That which is "nonexistent" cannot be percieved, thought about or referred to in any way.

Let me see if I understand: "a nonexistent is whatever does not exist" is nonsense, but "nothing is nothing" is not. As far as I can tell, a nonexistent is nothing, which is whatever does not exist, so "a nonexistent is whatever does not exist" means precisely the same as "nothing is nothing." And regarding this being a definition, it is a vernacular definition, yes. I guess you are saying that whatever I say is nonsense, but if you say the same thing, then it makes perfect sense. Is that what you are saying?

Cyracuz wrote:
"Existence" refers to physical reality.

Not only.

Cyracuz wrote:
When you say that unicorns do not exist, what that means it that there is no physical representation of the concept of unicorn.

You mean physical existence. Representations are in your mind. And no, that's not what I am saying. Unicorns do not exist as actualities, but may perfectly be possible some day. As possibilities, they are still physical entities, despite only possible ones.

Cyracuz wrote:
But you cannot say that the concept unicorn does not exist. That's absurd, because if it was nonexistent you could not have any knowledge of it.

You are confusing the concept with whatever it refers to. As long as unicorns are only possibilities, their concept is nothing else than that possibility. And if they become an actuality, then their concept remains their possibility, despite now backing an actuality.

Cyracuz wrote:
So if something does not exist it simply means that it has no direct relevance to the physical world.

Nothing has any relevance to the physical world: things are only relevant to us -- me and you -- the physical world does not care.

Cyracuz wrote:
This only applies to objects. An idea cannot be said to be nonexistent unless no one has thought about it.

It makes as much sense to say that a pure idea exists as it makes to say that it is nothing: an idea that is just an idea is just a possibility, which is -- as long as it is not also an actuality -- precisely nothing. Despite your insisting that ideas are different from objects, you keep objectifying them.

Cyracuz wrote:
Thus the concept of free will is not nonexistent.

We are not talking about the concept, we are talking about free will itself. What prevents you from thinking about free will? Have you some kind of trauma regarding it?

Cyracuz wrote:
It is not subject to the question of existence.

Then how in the hell can we create a topic on its existence? Perhaps it is you that is not subject to the question of existence...

Cyracuz wrote:
It is only subject to the question of meaning.

Free will means our capacity to decide our own fate. Nobody here has any problem with the meaning of free will. This is an old philosophical problem, and its meaning is very well known too. The big question is whether free will actually exists or not -- everybody knows what it means.

Cyracuz wrote:
But as I said, meaningless is not the same as nonexistent.

Bravo!

Cyracuz wrote:
And at the other end, existent isn't the same as meaningful.

And meaningful isn't the same as meaningless. And so on.
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 06:35 pm
@guigus,
Quote:
Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:

Bravo!

Bravo? You are the one mixing up these words, not I.

Btw, in case you missed it, I submitted a reply between your first and second reply to my last post.
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 06:39 pm
@guigus,
Quote:
As possibilities, they are still physical entities, despite only possible ones.

This is nonsense, serving only to increase confusion by not calling a spade a spade. To add to the confusion to hide incomprehension is a fruitless rethorical practice, particularly in this setting where we are not competing for power or supremacy.
guigus

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 06:47 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:
As possibilities, they are still physical entities, despite only possible ones.

This is nonsense, serving only to increase confusion by not calling a spade a spade. To add to the confusion to hide incomprehension is a fruitless rethorical practice, particularly in this setting where we are not competing for power or supremacy.

The collection of things that are nonsense to you keeps growing all the time!

Take, for example, a duck: an only possible duck does not cease to be a duck for being only possible. That's what you call a concept.
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 06:48 pm
To put is simply:

I can say that free will is a meaningful concept or a meaningless concept.

This is what is understood when someone says that free will exists or doesn't exist.

But if you want to relate free will to existence you first have to establish free will as an entity or object, when it is merely a description of functions, limits and possibilities we percieve. The whole issue of free will is about relationship, and for relationship to even be possible existence must be a given.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 06:50 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:
Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:

Bravo!

Bravo? You are the one mixing up these words, not I.

It was you to bring the word "meaningless" about -- a lot, I should add.

Cyracuz wrote:
Btw, in case you missed it, I submitted a reply between your first and second reply to my last post.

Let me see.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 06:51 pm
@guigus,
Quote:
Take, for example, a duck: an only possible duck does not cease to be a duck for being only possible. That's what you call a concept.

Just because you can string some words together does not mean they will communicate something meaningful. Anyone can make marks on a canvas with paint. But to paint a picture requires skill.
0 Replies

guigus

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 06:51 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Well that´s a fair demand, I will try to improve my writing in order to prevent unnecessary friction.

Or to increase the friction, you never know.
0 Replies