Proof of nonexistence of free will

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 04:44 am
@guigus,
Quote:
Whenever you argue about anything -- in the sense of doubting its existence -- it must become to you just a "way of thinking," or a belief.

"Free will" can never, under any circumstance be anything but a way of thinking. It is not an entity, it doen't have any attributes that can be said to exist or not exist.

Quote:
When you discuss the idea, you are discussing the phenomenon: there is no other way of discussing any phenomenon, other than discussing an idea that describes it.

That doesn't mean that your method of choice is correct. If you are prepared to say if free-will exists or not, you are making an assertation that is irrelevant to the concept.

Quote:
The existence of free will is precisely the subject of this thread: its existence is in dispute here, which would be impossible if it had never been "suggested that the concept has being," don't you agree?

No, just because a problem is presented doesn't mean it's a valid problem. Your argument here precludes the eventuality that people may make erroneous associations which they then can expand upon.
guigus

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 07:04 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:
Whenever you argue about anything -- in the sense of doubting its existence -- it must become to you just a "way of thinking," or a belief.

"Free will" can never, under any circumstance be anything but a way of thinking. It is not an entity, it doen't have any attributes that can be said to exist or not exist.

One thing is for you to say that you do not believe in free will, and another thing is for you to say that it cannot exist. For the second assertion, you must provide arguments, and you are providing none.

Free will is our capacity to chose our own destiny, or to decide our own actions, which has the possible attributes of being rational or emotional, consistent or inconsistent, wise or stupid, and so on: it has all the possible attributes of any decision. Another view is that we decide nothing, that is, that our actions are determined by something other than our capacity to choose.

Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:
When you discuss the idea, you are discussing the phenomenon: there is no other way of discussing any phenomenon, other than discussing an idea that describes it.

That doesn't mean that your method of choice is correct. If you are prepared to say if free-will exists or not, you are making an assertation that is irrelevant to the concept.

So you are telling me that "free will" is an idea that describes nothing? I think you are a bit confuse: the idea that refers to nothing is nothingness, not free will.

Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:
The existence of free will is precisely the subject of this thread: its existence is in dispute here, which would be impossible if it had never been "suggested that the concept has being," don't you agree?

No, just because a problem is presented doesn't mean it's a valid problem. Your argument here precludes the eventuality that people may make erroneous associations which they then can expand upon.

To regard the problem of free will as invalid, you must first establish that free will does not exist, which is precisely the problem of free will. So, again, where are your arguments corroborating that free will does not exist? As anyone else, you will have to enter the discussion -- your "solution" to the problem of free will solves nothing, which is perhaps why you insist that free will is nothing, which is just one of those "erroneous associations."
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 07:23 am
@guigus,
Quote:
One thing is for you to say that you do not believe in free will, and another thing is for you to say that it cannot exist. For the second assertion, you must provide arguments, and you are providing none.

I am not saying that it cannot exist. I am saying that speaking of existence in connection with "free will" is a category mistake.
There is no question wether or not the concept exists. We have knowledge of it, and that is evidence enough that there is such a concept. But that does not establish the validity of the concept, which is what this discussion is really about.

Quote:
Free will is our capacity to chose our own destiny, or to decide our own actions, which has the possible attributes of being rational or emotional, consistent or inconsistent, wise or stupid, and so on: it has all the possible attributes of any decision.

Are you saying that it is meaningful to discuss the existence of adjectives? That's preposterous. They exist. However, if they are sufficient to describe what they seek to describe is the real issue. You are confusing "having existence" with "having truth value". But they are two different things, the latter having relevance to the concept of free will, while the former does not.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 08:07 am
Belief that some things, even adjectives and words, may be without referent is nonsense, once all that is must have a referent in order to be mentally conceived in the first place.
Concepts draw circles around sets of property's that do exist, or that at least can refer further to yet another set of property´s in the property´s they convey...although sometimes (often) happens, that certain concepts do not refer to sets of property´s that actually can be assembled together beyond conceptual belief, or only by mixing different category´s of phenomenological existence that were not yet observed together as actuality´s...
Thereby it seams logical to assume that mistakes do refer, do exist, and have true value...although its factual value, being not that which they are trying to convey in the implicit meaning they seam to carry within.
Finally and to conclude, that to say that they are empty to they former purpose, must not be to say, that they cannot have any purpose...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 12:54 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
if a concept were only to be a sum of property´s in a set hardly could we debate what is to be adequate in its meaning...nevertheless concepts have background and context to which the meaning they convey its heavily related...again its the whole of the idea on which concepts are embedded that can give them boundary´s and properly stablish the limits of what they are trying to communicate...
Conceptual mistakes emerge when several category´s of phenomenological manifestations are wrongly assembled together in relation to the meaning that the whole of the idea brings up...its their functionality according to a specific background that makes them fail or prevail...
guigus

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 04:43 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Belief that some things, even adjectives and words, may be without referent is nonsense, once all that is must have a referent in order to be mentally conceived in the first place.
Concepts draw circles around sets of property's that do exist, or that at least can refer further to yet another set of property´s in the property´s they convey...although sometimes (often) happens, that certain concepts do not refer to sets of property´s that actually can be assembled together beyond conceptual belief, or only by mixing different category´s of phenomenological existence that were not yet observed together as actuality´s...
Thereby it seams logical to assume that mistakes do refer, do exist, and have true value...although its factual value, being not that which they are trying to convey in the implicit meaning they seam to carry within.
Finally and to conclude, that to say that they are empty to they former purpose, must not be to say, that they cannot have any purpose...

Nice try, despite doomed: falsehoods must utterly refer to a nonexistent, otherwise they become the truth of whatever they refer to. No matter now many circles you make, that's where you'll get at the end of the last one.
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 04:57 pm
@guigus,
Are you saying that a fallible argument cannot exist?
guigus

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:03 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

if a concept were only to be a sum of property´s in a set hardly could we debate what is to be adequate in its meaning...

Oh, you are feeling that water is leaking into your boat... smart.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
nevertheless concepts have background and context to which the meaning they convey its heavily related...

But here comes context and background along with Batman and Robin to save you!

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
again its the whole of the idea on which concepts are embedded that can give them boundary´s and properly stablish the limits of what they are trying to communicate...

Ideas are concepts: they cannot save you since they are the ones waiting on the top of the tower for Spider-Man.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
Conceptual mistakes emerge when several category´s of phenomenological manifestations are wrongly assembled together in relation to the meaning that the whole of the idea brings up...

As also when someone uses whatever needs to be explained -- concepts, renamed as ideas -- in order to explain it.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
its their functionality according to a specific background that makes them fail or prevail...

Another super-hero: functionality! We are all curious about his/her superpowers. In fact, we are so excited that we almost totally forgot about properties and sets...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:06 pm
@guigus,
I know as in most issues debated in this forum the formal answer that we can come up with...yet I rather prefer to be criticized hundred times for my informal approaches while trying to bring up a more complete and integrated perspective...
...fair and true that I do not always take the care to expressed them in the more possible clarified manner...there´s allot of side issues that would take an eternity in order to justify why I do sometimes peak unconventional shortcuts to express my reasoning...its holistic configuration touches many strings simultaneously, therefore shortcuts become unavoidable if not to write an encyclopaedia every time I express an idea...

...in the case I don´t believe in concepts that exist and not refer to anything given they convey together sets of property´s that are existent and thinkable like...often what happens is that some concepts are not sufficient clarified in the context who brings them an operative functional "enclosement"...

...meaning in concepts that fail the proposed goal/function to a certain specific context is that which makes them fail...
guigus

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:13 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Are you saying that a fallible argument cannot exist?

Sure not -- in fact, fallible arguments are much more common than sound ones.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:15 pm
@guigus,
Cant you really see that without functionality words don´t mean or are anything ?

Concepts are ideas ideas are concepts...true. So true as that there are ideas as sums of other ideas, and thus the change of words in the case intended as function avoiding unnecessary confusion...

objects for instance...they are ultra objects in themselves, they can have a billion functions in a billion different contexts, but what makes them objects its the function to which they are assembled...

What is it that you and some other idiots have against informal explanations ?
...Is it the case that you don´t really get the adjacent meaning conveyed in my reply´s ? Or is it that is not sufficiently exhausted in all the justifications it imply´s ?
guigus

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:24 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
I know as in most issues debated in this forum the formal answer that we can come up with...yet I rather prefer to be criticized hundred times for my informal approaches while trying to bring up a more complete and integrated perspective...

You can as informal as you want, provided you remain consistent.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
...fair and true that I do not always take the care to expressed them in the more possible clarified manner...

Then it is time to get more careful.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
there´s allot of side issues that would take an eternity in order to justify why I do sometimes peak unconventional shortcuts to express my reasoning...

The problem is all yours.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
its holistic configuration touches many strings simultaneously, therefore shortcuts become unavoidable if not to write an encyclopaedia every time I express an idea...

Beware the short-circuits: they usually fry electronic circuits, and your brain works with electricity too.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
...in the case I don´t believe in concepts that exist and not refer to anything given they convey together sets of property´s that are existent and thinkable like...often what happens is that some concepts are not sufficient clarified in the context who brings them an operative functional "enclosement"...

If I were you, I would start by clarifying my own concepts, although you will have a hard time picking the one from which to start.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:
...meaning in concepts that fail the proposed goal/function to a certain specific context is that which makes them fail...

What about internal consistency? Doesn't it bother you?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:25 pm
@guigus,
Quote:

Yea, that is probably the truth right there.

But I am trying to understand what you mean by this:

Quote:
falsehoods must utterly refer to a nonexistent, otherwise they become the truth of whatever they refer to

Perhaps we should specify the criteria that must be met for something to be said to have existence.
guigus

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:27 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Cant you really see that without functionality words don´t mean or are anything ?

Concepts are ideas ideas are concepts...true. So true as that there are ideas as sums of other ideas, and thus the change of words in the case intended as function avoiding unnecessary confusion...

objects for instance...they are ultra objects in themselves, they can have a billion functions in a billion different contexts, but what makes them objects its the function to which they are assembled...

What is it that you and some other idiots have against informal explanations ?
...Is it the case that you don´t really get the adjacent meaning conveyed in my reply´s ? Or is it that is not sufficiently exhausted in all the justifications it imply´s ?

Oh, I was counting the minutes for that magic word... That't the mother of all of your concepts, isn't it? I am talking about the concept of an idiot! What about its functionality? And its context? And its properties? But I must give you that it is, indeed, informal.
guigus

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:31 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:

Yea, that is probably the truth right there.

But I am trying to understand what you mean by this:

Quote:
falsehoods must utterly refer to a nonexistent, otherwise they become the truth of whatever they refer to

Perhaps we should specify the criteria that must be met for something to be said to have existence.

Do you believe I exist? If so, then what is your criteria to chose believing that? And if not, why are you discussing with me?
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:39 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil

I do not know if you are ignoring me, but in case you aren't I would just like to make a suggestion.
I am not trying to be rude or to insult you, but I really think that if you made an effort to improve your grasp of the english language it could really benefit you.
As it is now alot of your grammatical errors make some of your statements very unpresise.

Here, for instance:
Quote:
So true as that there are ideas as sums of other ideas, and thus the change of words in the case intended as function avoiding unnecessary confusion

This doesn't seem to be a gramatically complete sentence. The neccesary elements required to merit a meaningful sentence are either missing or unspecified, so any meaning in this statement becomes a matter of readers discretion, assuming the reader takes the time to construct a meaning from it.
That's a pretty big assumption to work with, and like I said, I think it would benefit you greatly to learn how to connect words properly in english.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:46 pm
@guigus,
To my view there is nothing internal to anything that it is not brought up by the entirety, the history, the process, and context who gives it form and function. Hard Determinism is also about that...

Its factual that most of the members in this forum seam utterly limited in their compartmentalised reasoning upon most things...If I were to express to the full what I think in each paragraph and adjective they peak, oh well, I would be voted down in mass...

The worst kind are those who actually have some skills and knowledge that even are capable of clarity in many aspects, and that ultimately fail when to enclose long shot associations...I wish they could see how ridicule they are in their self confidence full of formal fallacy and simplicity...don´t worry you don´t get to that group you are far behind...

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:51 pm
@guigus,
guigus

You are the one who is claiming that the concept of existence has relevance to this discussion, so the burden of validating that claim falls on you.

If you make statements like...
Quote:
...you need to have a clear definition of a "nonexistent".

If you share your definition with me I might be able to understand better what you mean by this statement, because as it is now it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Would you say unicorns exist?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:51 pm
@Cyracuz,
I do fully agree with you that this issue brings to me great inconvenience in properly explaining what I want to convey many times...If I were to take some more time instead of replying immediately things would greatly improve...

No you are not on ignore as there is no real need for that...sometimes we all go of track out of frustration...thanks for the feedback !
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:52 pm
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
So true as that there are ideas as sums of other ideas, and thus the change of words in the case intended as function avoiding unnecessary confusion

I understand it Cyr. He's talking about primary texts spawning secondary commentary which is seen as primary text on the next lowest rung and so on and so on until you get to the man in the street. Words change their meanings in the process. Like the "Burning Bush". At the level of the man in the street such words are easy to distance oneself one and even scoff at.