Quote:
Loyola University of Chicago
School of Law Alumni

Life After Innocence Annual Luncheon
A Conversation with Amanda Knox
Thursday, December 3
12:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Kasbeer Hall

Amanda Knox, whose case drew international attention over a seven-year period, was exonerated in March 2015 by the Italian Supreme Court. She currently works as a writer and lives in Seattle. Her book, Waiting to be Heard: A Memoir, was published in 2013. Knox is active in the innocence movement and will join us at Loyola to discuss her experiences and work advocating on behalf of others wrongfully convicted. Your attendance and donation will support Loyola University Chicago's Life After Innocence, which advocates for innocent people released from prison, helping them reenter society, clear their records and start their lives over. One credit hour of MCLE will be available.

Ticket Cost
Individual Tickets - $100 (Includes a $70 donation to LAI)
Young Alumni Tickets (2011-15) - $75 (Includes a $45 donation to LAI)
Table Sponsor - $2500 (Sponsorship includes $2,231.01 donation to Life After Innocence, 8 tickets to the luncheon, a copy of Amanda Knox’s memoir and a private signing with her, presence on the Life After Innocence website, appearance in the program's brochure, and mention in event publicity, including WGN radio)

http://www.lawalumni.luc.edu/s/1548/law/index.aspx?sid=1548&gid=3&pgid=2846&cid=4995&ecid=4995&crid=0&calpgid=13&calcid=664
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 7 Oct, 2015 11:31 pm
http://media.zenfs.com/it-IT/News/LaPresse/20151006_184809_401264_14444651.jpg

It's nice to see Amanda and Raffaele smile (Raffaele in this case).
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
hawkeye10

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 08:56 pm
@oralloy,
GOD: This side show can end at any time.

HOWEVER: The Italians need to get their **** together. This " we are having too much fun enjoying life to care about civilization" thing they have going on needs to stop. Their Justice System is a wreck. They are a ******* embarrassment to Europe and to the rest of Western Civilization.

EDIT: I am an American and I know well how bad the American justice system is. I ridicule both, with vigour, and with righteousness.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 22 Jan, 2016 06:36 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
I finally got curious enough to calculate updated numbers on Guede's evolving sentence (taking into account the change in Italian law to increase time off for good behavior, and adding on Guede's later convictions).

Had Guede been properly charged and convicted according to what he actually did, his sentence would have been:
a) LIFE, of which he would have been required to serve 26 years.

Since the need to persecute Amanda and Raffaele prevented Guede from being charged and convicted of everything he did, he was instead sentenced to:
b) 30 Years, of which he would have been required to serve 23 Years 3 Months.

When Amanda and Raffaele were given a much lighter sentence than his, the courts reduced Guede's sentence to keep it in line with theirs, leading to his sentence of:
c) 16 Years, of which he would have been required to serve 12 Years.

When Guede was subsequently convicted of a couple of his other offenses, his sentence was increased to:
d) 17 years 5 months, of which he is required to serve 13 years 2 months.

So thanks to the Kerchers, Guede's time in prison was nearly halved from 26 years to 13 years.

Guede will be back on the streets sometime around Xmas 2020, instead of staying in prison until sometime around Xmas 2033.

Gotta love Karma.

Revision of sorts. While it is true that if Guede had gotten the LIFE sentence that the law requires of his crime he would have indeed been eligible for parole after 26 years, I suspect that he would not have been granted that parole and would have spent most of his life in prison.

That makes the sentence reduction from A to B just as dramatic as the reduction from B to C/D.

For what it's worth, there were a few minor events in the news over the last couple days. Guede now has an official Facebook and Twitter account, and he just gave a big interview on Italian television. Nothing really significant to it all though beyond my above recalculation of his parole likelihood with a LIFE sentence.

Italy's Court of Cassation just reversed their infamous ruling that rape isn't actually rape if the victim was wearing tight jeans. I don't know if that has implications for the old case that prompted the original ruling, or if it just applies to future cases.

There was a young American woman recently murdered in Italy. The Italian press is now demonizing her for having had too much sex. I don't know if the claims about rampant sexual activity are lies as they were with Amanda, but true or not the demonization is pretty appalling. It is noteworthy that a scumbag female reporter, who was happy to demonize Amanda, is now objecting to the demonization of the dead girl. But the hypocritical scumbag still seems to have no remorse over her own demonization of Amanda.

The next "big" news should be in a few more years when the European Court of Human Rights tells Italy to reverse their slander conviction against Amanda.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 31 Aug, 2016 04:03 pm

Netflix documentary.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/08/amanda-knox-netflix-documentary

I have my doubts, but I admit that I haven't seen it yet.

As far as claims that it is superior to all the media coverage so far, that's a pretty low bar to jump over. Even a mediocre presentation could easily be superior to all previous coverage.

We'll see I guess.
oralloy

Sat 1 Oct, 2016 12:13 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Netflix documentary.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/amanda_knox

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/amanda-knox-sets-record-straight-on-infamous-2007-murder-w442408
oralloy

Mon 3 Oct, 2016 09:11 pm
http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/abc_amandaknox_le_160930_12x5_1600.jpg
http://abcnews.go.com/US/amanda-knox-life-exoneree-netflix-back-person/story?id=42486591
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 27 Oct, 2016 11:52 am

Extra poignant article from Amanda:
http://www.amandaknox.com/2016/10/24/exoneration-is-just-the-beginning/

When my life is over one day and I look back on everything that I've ever done, I think I will be most proud of how vicious I was towards the scumbags who attack Amanda.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 01:26 am

In a few days, an Italian court will have a hearing on Rudy Guede's request for leave to appeal his conviction.

I do not know whether there will be a decision the same day (or in coming days), or whether the court will take a long time to decide. Presumably if he gets leave to appeal, then the appeal itself will come after that.

In a way it is academic. The witch hunt against Amanda and Raffaele backfired and caused Guede to get his LIFE sentence halved to 30 years, and then halved again to 16 years. He'll be out in a few more years now no matter how the court rules.

Still, the countdown to Guede's freedom continues, and this could shave a year or two off his sentence.

Shifting gears slightly: I wonder if anyone will ever figure out what was up with the bomb threat.
lmur

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 06:18 am
@oralloy,
I'm astonished Trump didn't nominate Knox for Secretary of State.