not that they do it now

BillRM

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 05:23 pm
Short note as I am going to the movies to see 2012.

In any case my main problem with our wonderful caring safety first school board is that they are up to their rear ends with real problems.

One of them had just been arrested by the FBI for stealing from the system and the management at the top is in complete disarray due to them playing polities games.

Oh, they have great financial troubles and yet they found funds in the range of a 100 thousands dollars to fight in court to keep a child book out of their school library system that dare to paint Cuba in a good light.

So what do they do with their time, they are passing a rule that there is nothing to show will add one little bit to the safety of the students but sound good to unthinking fools.

Someone make a comment that I think I know better then the school board Well I surely do think that this school board is not up to my standards in any way.

0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 05:53 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

Ontario recently enacted a distracted driver law that targets all electronic devices, now i support the cell phone and texting thing but what i find amusing about the new law is it covers in car cd or dvd players, so theoretically a police officer could see me switching cd's (say i'm grabbing one from one of the visor things) and ticket me, but i can unwrap my burger and fries and biggie size drink and munch away with no problem

I just want to clarify the law as it applies to Ontario. The law includes portable CD, DVD and video games as well as GPS and cell phones.

In car mounted devices are not covered by the law.

Also, schoolbus drivers in Ontario were not allowed to use cell phones well driving. This was not a law, just a common sense rule put into place by some bus companies.
djjd62

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 05:57 pm
@Intrepid,
sorry about that, anything i read seemed unclear about that point

0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 05:58 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Yes sir we had one engineer on a train textings that might or might not been the cause of an accident.

Still no school buses with tens of thousands of trips a day with textings being a known factor in any accident.

But I can see the great need for such a ban as who know what might happen in the future and we need government out there trying to think of every possible low odd event to protect us from.

Lord I bet we as yet have no rule on drivers brushing their teeth or shaving behind the wheel so let address that issue next.

Bill, should we have seat belt laws?

Are you aware of the statistics for the increased odds of having an accident while texting or talking on the phone? Particularly texting.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 06:00 pm
@dyslexia,
Texting while driving a school bus!!! Shocked
(actually, texting while driving anything.)
You're kidding!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 06:05 pm
I don't know about Dade County, but up here where I live in Canada the school boards outsource the bus services. The boards, however, have control over the activities the same as if they owned them.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 06:11 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Oh as a side note I used to be an railroad employee in my younger days and what did go on in engine cabs did go far beyond the evil of textings does now.

Let see how about an engineer who had his 15 year old son operate a passenger train from South Jersey to Newark.

Or the time the conductor and his trainmen was late and some of the passengers who had been traveling on that train for years gave all the correct signals to the engine crew and ran that train all the way down to the shore. It was not until the engine crew arrived at the end of the line at Bayhead JCT that they found out that they did not have a conductor or trainnmen on broad.

Yes you really need to worry about textings.

It seems that stupidity can reside in any profession.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 06:17 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
Ontario recently enacted a distracted driver law that targets ... but i can unwrap my burger and fries and biggie size drink and munch away with no problem

the careless driving law (recently amended) will nab you if you cause an accident because you were distracted by eating

Quote:
Ontario's Careless Driving Law, contained in Highway Traffic Act Section 130 and introduced in 1990, concludes that every person is guilty of the offence of driving carelessly who drives a vehicle or street car on a highway without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway. If convicted under the Careless Driving Law, motorists may be liable for a fine of $200 to $1,000, as well as a jail term for a maximum of six months. As well, the motorist's licence may be revoked for a period of up to two years. This is one of Ontario's toughest rules of the road.

http://www.caa.ca/driventodistraction/what/distracted.html

I've seen a couple of the resulting accident files cross my desk over the years.
BillRM

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 07:23 am
@ehBeth,
I am not stating that textings or a million others way of not paying attention to your driving is a good thing however, I surely do question the need for my community to pass a rule concerning this one behavior when there is no indication by their own words that it is problem or is happening.
Intrepid

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 03:01 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

I am not stating that textings or a million others way of not paying attention to your driving is a good thing however, I surely do question the need for my community to pass a rule concerning this one behavior when there is no indication by their own words that it is problem or is happening.

I will give you some statistics from the U.S. since you may not believe our Canadian statistics.

The findings by Virginia Tech Driving Institute on July 29, 2009 show that statistics accidents by cars and trucks users, distraction caused by dialing cell phone increases the risk of accident driving incidents by 2.8 times. Distraction caused by cell phone text messaging while driving increases the risk of accidents driving incidents by 23.2 times in comparison to normal driving conditions.[/[/color]i]

BillRM

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 03:45 pm
@Intrepid,
And does women who place make-up when driving cause accidents or people looking at their GPS or searching for a radio station or talking to her/his passengers or..............?

Hell a high school friend hit a telephone pole after a school dance because he was playing games with a young lady passenger.

Why is this need to pick out only one form of not paying attention when driving and wish to pass laws/rules only to dealing with just that?

Second why pass a rule concerning bus drivers in that regard when by their own words it is a behavior that is not happening when their employees are driving their buses?

Seem on it face completely pointless does it not?
Ceili

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 03:57 pm
@BillRM,
Most bus drivers have a route, they don't need GPS. Most bus drivers are at work, they would have put on the make-up before they get a bus load of kids. Most buses don't have radios.
Bus drivers and companies have much higher liability issues than private vehicles. Drivers/companies are held to much higher standards in the courts than the general public. If a schoolboard or company has these rules on the book, then they have done their due diligence. Giving examples of other types of bad behavior behind the wheel does not prove your point.
BillRM

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 05:23 pm
@Ceili,
Let me see no radio on school buses not true on the old school bus that took me to my high school however I had no clue if Dade Buses had or does not have radios and somehow I question if you had a clue either but you always sound so sure.

In any case there are one hell of a lot of things that can cause any driver including a bus driver to loss attention to the task at hand I just name a few. Sorry you do not like my GPS or radio suggestion as an example of a millions and one things that can cause a problem

For a poor school bus driver I would guess the main problem is the kids themselves not anything else by misbehaving in the bus.

Once more there seem not to be a problem with textings by bus drivers by the same fools who wish to pass this rule so what is the damn point?
Ceili

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 05:46 pm
@BillRM,
Most buses....
Radios are not installed for the very same reason - distraction.
I do know a lot about buses and bus companies.
If you can't figure out the point. I can't help you.
BillRM

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 05:51 pm
@Ceili,
Well you do sound like you know an lot however so far in this thread everytime you made a claim that I could check you turn out to be wrong.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 05:56 pm
@Ceili,
Every time I do even a very fast internet search I find that there seem little to support you claims.

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/on-education/2009/07/13/congress-investigates-radio-programming-on-school-buses.html

Congress Investigates Radio Programming on School Buses
July 13, 2009 04:22 PM ET | Zach Miners | Permanent Link | Print
Congress has ordered a Federal Communications Commission review of BusRadio"a radio programming system that is heard each day on 10,000 school buses in 24 states"because of questions about the age-appropriateness of its music and the effects of its advertisements on students and bus drivers, the Denver Post reports.

Reaching more than 1 million students everyday, BusRadio sends music, contests, public service announcements, and commercials over the Internet to school district servers, which then forward the programming to buses using wireless transmitters. (Click here to learn more about the company, which calls itself the "first and only radio show delivered exclusively to school buses nationwide.")

Supporters of the programming say it keeps students calm and engaged during what can be hectic bus rides. But others charge the media company with forcing kids to listen to commercials and "holding them hostage to corporate America." Critics also say that BusRadio broadcasts music that sometimes might not suitable for the children.

In May, the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood, a national coalition of healthcare professionals, educators, advocacy groups, and parents, requested that Congress initiate the review. More than 1,200 people commented on the FCC website during the first month of the process, according to the Denver Post.

Susan Linn, director of the CCFC, says that schools, and school buses, should be commercial-free zones. "One of the purposes of school is to promote reason, and one of the purposes of marketing is to undermine reason in the interest of selling products," she says. "It's not good for students."

Michael Yanoff, CEO of BusRadio, stands by the company's programming. He says that the students, drivers, transportation managers, and superintendents in districts that use BusRadio "overwhelmingly enjoy" it and that "those are the people that really matter, because they have the students' best interests in mind every day."

"A lot of the criticism comes from people that have never experienced the program," he adds.

Alex Sanchez, spokesperson for the Denver Public Schools, which uses BusRadio, told the Denver Post the district will "wait and see" regarding the FCC inquiry. He noted that there have been no problems with the radio program and that it has helped to improve safety on buses, the district's main reason for using the service.

Tags: FCC | education | education reform | K-12 education

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 06:03 pm
If it is one station, I guess your contention that they fiddle with radios would still be wrong.
Unruly kids are another issue altogether. If this keeps them calm, it's a good idea. Kids are a distraction in private vehicles too.
Regardless, a distraction is a distraction and any company that has buses does it's best to keep its passenger safe. I don't see why you are throwing a hairy conniption over this issue.
BillRM

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 06:09 pm
@Ceili,
LOL and more LOL if anyone would like to go to the following link you will see a new Thomas school bus with a very nice looking radio with a CD player in the middle of the dash board.

Yes you surely know one hell of a lot about school buses and bus companies and school bus manufactures.

http://www.thomasbus.com/bus-models/school/saf-t-liner-c2/photo-gallery.asp
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 06:12 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili I love the internet and search engines and their ability to allow you to check out other posters claims of being an expert in some field or other.
Ceili

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 06:20 pm
@BillRM,
So you've proved that in the States 10,000 buses have radios. Doesn't mean most don't. Or do you suppose those 10,000 buses transport all the kids in the USA. I suspect that most of those buses are privately owned and are not operated by the larger systems.
Go and search now. I'm assuming it will take you a while. Regardless, this does nothing to prove that a texting law is stupid. You or the internet have yet to prove that. All you've proven is that I wouldn't hire you to run, much less drive a bus.