not that they do it now

Ceili

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 02:14 pm
@BillRM,
If you had bothered to read the article, it is not the government making the rule, but the bus company. They are well within their rights to make any rule they want. They own the buses and hire the drivers.
BillRM

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 02:22 pm
@BillRM,
Oh as a side note I used to be an railroad employee in my younger days and what did go on in engine cabs did go far beyond the evil of textings does now.

Let see how about an engineer who had his 15 year old son operate a passenger train from South Jersey to Newark.

Or the time the conductor and his trainmen was late and some of the passengers who had been traveling on that train for years gave all the correct signals to the engine crew and ran that train all the way down to the shore. It was not until the engine crew arrived at the end of the line at Bayhead JCT that they found out that they did not have a conductor or trainnmen on broad.

Yes you really need to worry about textings.

BillRM

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 02:25 pm
@Ceili,
Bus company? as far as I am aware of the bus drivers are Miami-Dade school employees in the same manner as teachers.

Union and all as a matter of fact.
BillRM

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 02:32 pm
@Ceili,
As of 2003 the bus drivers had a union and seem to be direct employees of the school system see below. It could had change over the last few years but I never hear of it so doing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four Unions in Miami-Dade County School System Leave Contract Negotiations.
Publication: Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News
Date: Wednesday, September 10 2003

By Matthew I. Pinzur, The Miami Herald Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News

Sep. 10--Frustrated by years of stagnant salaries, four of the five unions in the Miami-Dade County school system are walking away from the negotiating table, signaling a near-total collapse of the district's relationship with its 40,000 teachers, custodians, bus drivers and other employees.

By declaring impasse, the unions could be delaying employee raises for several more months. On the other hand, nearly 18 months of negotiations have been fruitless, and the move may allow th

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 02:37 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Bus company? as far as I am aware of the bus drivers are Miami-Dade school employees in the same manner as teachers.

Union and all as a matter of fact.

So what does "Approved Private School Bus Companies" which run the school bus service for the School Board of Miami-Dade County Public Schools?
Ceili

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 02:53 pm
I'm going to post this again, because apparently you missed it.

Unless Miami-Dade is any different than most school districts, I believe bus services are outsourced.
djjd62

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 02:54 pm
the more i read of bill, i think i get him

i'm a smart ass a lot of the time, but i do it to purposefully annoy folks (hi political and religious posters), i think bill might be the same way, but he has no sense of humour so he tries to annoy by being contradictory, but he ends up just presenting posts in a serious tone, so people don't think of him as a smart ass, just an ass
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 02:56 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Well as of 2003 they was direct employees and I live in this community and never hear of their jobs being outsourced my friend and given the unions I should had hear one hell of a big uproar.

So the story does not make any kind of sense at all.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 03:01 pm
@BillRM,
We have 2009.
T

Why don't you look at the minutes of the boar? They are online. (Look from 2005 onwards.)

And since you live there: why didn't you look it up in your local papers?
It was printed there, too.
BillRM

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 03:01 pm
@Ceili,
As far as Youtude videos are concern you can see EET landing in someone back yard.

You need to give a link to a real new source not a youtube posting.

Not where I get my news in any case.
djjd62

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 03:03 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
As far as Youtude videos are concern you can see EET landing in someone back yard.

is EET a friend of falcon (aka balloon boy)?
BillRM

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 03:03 pm
@Ceili,

You need to give a link to a real news source not a youtube posting.

Not where I get my news in any case.
djjd62

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 03:05 pm
@BillRM,
cool, is it "post the same thing over again day"?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 03:08 pm
another thing i've noticed about bill, he's consistent in his hatred of laws

he doesn't believe we should proactively protect folks from drivers who text, and he doesn't believe that foreign governments have legal jurisdiction over americans

i wonder what other laws bill doesn't like, the mind boggles
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 03:12 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I once more live in this community and never hear of an outsourcing and I therefore question the story as being correct. When I get a chance I will research more on the subject.

As far as the Herald is concern most of their long term reporters had been let go replaced by a few low pay employees and it becoming a thin sheet instead of a newspaper.

Same people who own the Detroit free press as a matter of fact.
BillRM

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 03:13 pm
@djjd62,
No farmerman.
djjd62

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 03:17 pm
@BillRM,
rural, but not a farmer, sorry to disappoint
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 03:23 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

I once more live in this community and never hear of an outsourcing and I therefore question the story as being correct. When I get a chance I will research more on the subject.

Well, they say that their minutes are "unofficial". But it's all with numbers, date, time etc.

But since you live there, you'll certainly know better than the board.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 04:41 pm
@Ceili,
Unless Miami-Dade is any different than most school districts, I believe bus services are outsourced.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wrong Ceili so the issue that it is a private company doing this is not correct it is a government department

SEE BELOW
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If his proposal passes, new rules would also apply to every district employee driving a district-owned vehicle.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See below.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nov 17, 2009 (The Miami Herald - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) -- Miami-Dade school bus drivers may soon be banned from sending text messages while driving.

School Board member Larry Feldman has proposed a new rule that would prohibit bus drivers from using iPhones, BlackBerrys and cellphones while on the road -- except in cases of an emergency.

If his proposal passes, new rules would also apply to every district employee driving a district-owned vehicle.

Those employees, too, would be banned from texting while driving. And they would have to use a hands-free device to make a call from the car.

The rules would apply to all employees except school police officers, Feldman said.

"People don't understand how serious of an issue this is," he said. "It's really dangerous. But unless it's in black-and-white, people won't pay attention to it." The School Board will take up the proposal at its meeting Tuesday.

IMPROVE OPERATIONAL EFFICIENCIES Learn more, download free white paper.
DELIVER OPTIMAL SERVICE QUALITY Learn more, download free white paper.
Adopt a Unified Approach to Address Convergence of IT and OSS White paper Learn more, download free white paper.
An OSS Observer White Paper Commissioned by IBM Learn more, download free white paper.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 05:04 pm
http://dot.dadeschools.net/
Here is a list of the 26 private bus companies that are approved and have contracts with Miami Dade School district.
The school board may own some buses, or they may not. Regardless, they are well within their right to make the rules. While the school board is not the government, they are the governing body. I'm sure the parents of the children who take these buses would be pleased to know the board is looking out for the welfare of their children.
You may now have the last word....
0 Replies