There Are Mexicans with Leaf Blowers Under My Window

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 08:05 am
and the thought strikes me... is this in the top 10 of wasteful useless activities? Burning up all that gas and polluting the air, spending a butt load of money that could be put to good use elsewhere.... and in the end just moving the leaves from one place to another, where they will sit until a natural wind comes along and blows them right the hell back where they were in the first place?

The smell of exhaust does not enhance my breakfast either.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 20 • Views: 15,377 • Replies: 143

dadpad

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 08:08 am
theres a guy who owns camels here. He rakes all the leaves with a hand rake Into enormouse plactic bags and feeds them to his camels.

Ever thought about owning a camel?
ebrown p

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 08:13 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Easy solution Bear....

Get off your butt and start raking.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 08:18 am
@ebrown p,
I am retired from raking.... but when I had a house with a yard I raked and then disposed of the leaves.... I have also never owned an electric can opener Laughing
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 08:18 am
@dadpad,
I have enough trouble with cat **** Mr. Green
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 09:08 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
so ... they are just doing the jobs that lazy Americans won't do.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 10:59 am
@ebrown p,
don't make it about race ebrown... it's about the fact that I think leaf blowing is stupid.... if it's done by people so white they're clear....
DrewDad

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 11:03 am
Leaf blowers are stupid.

My mother has a leaf vacuum. It sucks up leaves, grinds 'em up, and bags 'em. Electric, no less, so it's relatively quite and no exhaust fumes.

I'm a lazy yard keeper. Fortunately, I don't have enough leaves to require raking.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 11:22 am
Gotta agree. First time I ever saw a leaf blower in use I remember scratching my head and wondering what the point was. I still wonder that. All that stupid machine does is move the leaves around, doesn't even drive them into neat piles. What's the point? Snow-blowers make a tad more sense -- at least they clear a path.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 11:41 am
Don't see many leaf blowers here.

I think because the model that would keep up with the prairie winds would hafta be mounted on a truck.

we watch the leafs blow by to the South. then a day or two later they head back to Nebraska...

lotsa mexicans, though. (they mostly cut meat i think)
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 12:21 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
You put the word "Mexican" in the title of your thread. Of course, I doubt you went out to ask them what country they are from-- so I assume you are using the word Mexican to refer to some generic Spanish-speaking brown person.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 01:35 pm
@ebrown p,
So what if he does?
ebrown p

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 01:46 pm
@DrewDad,
It is tacky at best...

I would feel the same way if he made a post titled "The Jews at the bank won't give me a loan."

((The point being that if stereotypical ethnicity isn't important, then why mention it?))
Gala

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 01:55 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
You put the word "Mexican" in the title of your thread. Of course, I doubt you went out to ask them what country they are from-- so I assume you are using the word Mexican to refer to some generic Spanish-speaking brown person.

This is the first time I've ever agreed with ebrown.
ebrown p

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 02:06 pm
@Gala,
Quote:
This is the first time I've ever agreed with ebrown.

damn.
Gala

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 02:08 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
damn.

I hope that's an "awe" damn, nonetheless, I have crossed over.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 02:09 pm
@ebrown p,
His ethnic stereotypes don't interfere with the message of his post, though.

Just ignore it. It's not hurting anyone.
Linkat

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 02:13 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I always thought leaf blowers were useless too. Then I heard a friend state that their neighbor allowed them to use his. He said it took him 15 minutes to clean his yard where before, manually raking took hours.

I own a condo so I sit and watch the Mexicans and other non-English speaking guys blow the leaves around too.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 02:17 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Just ignore it. It's not hurting anyone.

I wouldn't agree, I mean, I'm not hanging my head and weeping over his tacky way of phrasing it, but it is demeaning.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 02:45 pm
@Gala,
How is "Mexican" demeaning? It's not like he called 'em "dirty Mexicans" or "wetbacks" or "spics" or something nasty.

Mexican. American. European. Canadian.

What's the problem?