There Are Mexicans with Leaf Blowers Under My Window

High Seas

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 03:38 pm
@Ceili,
You may be unfamiliar with the educational background of the latest justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 03:39 pm
@High Seas,
Not very, although there is some crossover. I've never heard Brittani version of Gaelic it may be more French like.
High Seas

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 04:04 pm
@Ceili,
It did sound like Norman French to me, but then I don't know Gaelic; I do know that Ireland appears in many Germanic myths as home to their heroes and heroines. Isolde (from Wagner's Tristan und Isolde) is one of the most famous ones.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 08:45 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Foofie,

Please explain how Cinco de Mayo is any different than St. Patrick's day?

((The irony is that Cinco de Mayo and St. Patrick's day are largely American phenomina (i.e. neither of the holidays is particularly important in Ireland or Mexico)).

One has a big parade in several cities (St. Patrick's Day); the other does not have a big parade in most cities. Also, Cinco de Mayo has a political connotation, I do not believe St. Patrick's Day has the meaning of the French leaving Ireland.

But what is your point? Was I supposed to have an epiphany based on your question?
Foofie

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 08:56 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

ebrown wrote:
Foofie... you are full of crap.

I just can confirm that..

foofie, the little dog wrote:
Why should anyone who does not live with Hispanics know their WILLINGNESS TO ASSIMILATE.

Tell us about your experiences living with Hispanics...

and wrote:
and do not seem to be progressing in school, to the same degree, as other immigrant ethnic groups that ARE CURRENTLY IN THE SAME SCHOOL SYSTEM (e.g. Asians, Russians, Arabs).

This is the result of untold discrimination.

Yours, however, is quite visible.

If it wasn't, tell me why we can observe that the Arabs (North Africans) are not succeeding in assimilating into the French nation, while other nationalities are?

I have discriminated against no one in an illegal sense. Americans are allowed, as private citizens, to be discriminating in our private pursuit of happiness. So, I can discriminate and not give you a lollypop, if I was giving lollypops to all the Europeans wanting a lollypop.

I have no idea (actually I do, and it might have to do with resentment built up over the colonial period) why the North African Arabs choose not to assimilate into the French culture? However, immigrants that come to the U.S. understand usually that there is opportunity here for those that are willing to work hard, so Arabs in the U.S. are often entrepreneurs, even if it is driving a taxi.

I do not care what your analysis is of my pointing out that each immigrant group, collectively, decides to assimilate, or not assimilate, and whether others have, or do not have, knowledge of said collective decision. What business is it of yours of my observations about Hispanics? That would not correlate to any of my opinions, just like there are few French I have observed, but that has not stopped me from accepting some negatives about the French as a people and a nation.

Are you not mature enough to accept that the whole world cannot be Francophiles? I tend more to being an Anglophile anyway; the two might be mutually exclusive.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 08:59 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:
I will repeat: all ethnic groups are not equal. That is not a bigoted statement.

Does disagree on both points.

You are mistaken in my opinion; ethnic groups are not equal in abilities, nor equal in society. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, as the saying goes.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 09:18 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

You are so full of crap, foofie, I can only assume your eyes must be brown.

Quote:
Also, Irish have been assimilated since the 1800's, if not before. By 1900 they ran Tammany Hall in NYC. First generation Italians born here spoke English amongst each other. They used Italian to speak to parents or grandparents.

As has been pointed out before, Irish spoke English when they came here. Big advantage.

I personally know some Italian families where second and even third generation children are encouraged to speak Italian in the home. It's not because the grandparents don't speak English; it's simply part of the heritage. Parenthetically, I went to university with some Jewish kids who had not learned English until they were sent to public schools; they had always spoken Yiddish in the home, although born here and although their parents knew English perfectly well.

The points you are making, such as they are, are bigoted big-time.

Why would you want to put parenthesis around Jewish kids that only learned English in school?

But, your sampling techniques might be using a population of ethnics that do not reflect the statistical mode of the population, which I believe reflects an orientation to speaking English to each other. That was my point; Hispanics speak Spanish in the street to each other; other ethnicities historically spoke English to each other in the street, as soon as they were able.

There is also a desire to BE AMERICAN by many ethnicities that have come here in the past. In my opinion, I do not see that from the same percentage of Hispanics. Perhaps, I am mistaken?

But, being Jewish I do break down the world into Jews and Gentiles, so it might be a little short-sighted to focus on my attitude to any one ethnicity, do you not think? And, just to be accurate, I only care about Americans, be they Jewish or Gentile. That said, you can understand how I am attuned to the American identities of prior immigrant groups, and left wondering how American Hispanics plan to be in their desire to assimilate.

I define assimilation as the process whereby a specific immigrant group aspires to livelihoods across the spectrum of blue-collar, white-collar, smart-collar and entrepreneurial livelihoods. When the majority of an immigrant group stays in one specific class of livelihoods, I do believe they have not assimilated completely into the American society.

Foofie

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 09:22 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I grew up with kids in Canada who came from English speaking families that had difficulty with grammar and literature. This proves nothing.

Or it proves that some Canadians may not be as smart as some Americans?
ebrown p

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 09:25 am
@Foofie,
Foofie... your bigotry is astounding.

The fact is that the vast majority of American born kids with Hispanic parents speak English fluently. For many, English is their first language. By the second and third generation Spanish ability is often lost... or if Spanish is spoken, it is spoken only with parents.

There is no difference in the language experience of Hispanics and any other groups of non-speaking immigrants. You still hear Italian spoken in parts of Boston, and I know a second-generation Chinese immigrant who still speaks Chinese with relatives.

You really want to pretend there is some "ethnic" difference between white immigrants and brown-skinned immigrants?

0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 09:27 am
@Foofie,
Whats also amazing is that you invoke your Jewish Heritage... but you are willing to engage in the types of Defamation that Jewish groups have been fighting for so many years. In fact, there were huge arguments in past decades about whether Jews could assimilate (or were ethnically inferior for that matter)-- thankfully, your side lost.

Have you heard of the Anti-Defamation League Foofie? (They think that what you are saying is bigoted nonsense).
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 09:32 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Ceili wrote:

I grew up with kids in Canada who came from English speaking families that had difficulty with grammar and literature. This proves nothing.

or it proves that there are ignorant lazy people all over

i grew up in a rural area, in my house we always had books and everybody read from an early age, others didn't see that as being a priority, some of those kids had problems in school with grammar and spelling

i've had conversations with people i went to school with, where they have admitted to never reading a book since leaving school

i'm sure there are similar examples in america
Foofie

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 09:54 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

Foofie wrote:

Ceili wrote:

or it proves that there are ignorant lazy people all over

i grew up in a rural area, in my house we always had books and everybody read from an early age, others didn't see that as being a priority, some of those kids had problems in school with grammar and spelling

i've had conversations with people i went to school with, where they have admitted to never reading a book since leaving school

i'm sure there are similar examples in america

Yes, in my opinion, society can be sorted into readers (that consider reading a pleasure/enjoyment) and non-readers (that consider reading a "chore"). I always have one or two books that I am trudging through. I do not understand how people cannot enjoy a book? I have been told that in today's visual tech world, it is easy to be entertained without reading; also, that reading can be a lonely activity for some?

I am wary of people that do not read.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 10:05 am
I am wary of Nazi's with leaf blowers.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 11:33 am
@dyslexia,
Hell, I'm wary of Nazi's with tablespoons for that matter....
Ceili

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 12:06 pm
Right now there is a white guy blowing leaves under my window and I'm thinking of punching him. We had a major storm last night, 90 mile/hour winds, power outages, trees knocked over, ferries cancelled. He's blowing the few leaves from the sidewalk onto the grass. Stupid...

Really Foofie, Is that the best you could do. Dumb Canadians eh!
Being able to read well isn't necessarily ignorance, but saying so is. . People who have learning disabilities are not necessarily lazy but your faulty reasoning is. I'm actually shocked to see a person who considers themselves well read would espouse the ideas you do.

I think being multi-lingual is a good thing. I know many people who only speak to their kids in their native tongue. The kids generally pick up English easily enough in school. I don't know much about Sotomayor, but if she spent time in remedial english classes, it's to her credit she made it so far.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 12:08 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
This has become your most successful thread ever (even though you started it about a trivial subject).
Foofie

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 07:54 pm
Ceili wrote:

...Really Foofie, Is that the best you could do. Dumb Canadians eh!
Being able to read well isn't necessarily ignorance, but saying so is. . People who have learning disabilities are not necessarily lazy but your faulty reasoning is. I'm actually shocked to see a person who considers themselves well read would espouse the ideas you do...

You are misquoting me. I was only making a comparison, based on "some." No one called Canadians dumb. Just look at how many come to the U.S. for a more successful career; that is not dumb.

0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 02:05 pm
@wandeljw,
so who does this speak of... me? Or you guys? Razz
High Seas

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 02:29 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I vote YOU, Bear. In fact I admired your prose in this thread so much that I started quoting it elsewhere:
http://able2know.org/topic/138414-1#post-3818139
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 02:54 pm
@High Seas,
indeed. brevity is the soul of wit.