Fixed Leaf Blower - Maybe Not . . .

CDobyns

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 10:00 am
I had previously posted a topic (Plugged Blower Carburetor) regarding a Ryobi leaf blower I have, that had worked very reliably up until fairly recently, when it started leaking gasoline and wouldn't start. I managed to fix the gasoline leak problem, but then the carburetor developed an apparent plug in the inlet to the carburetor, which I managed to fix with the purchase of a very cost-effective replacement of the carburetor.

The engine on the leaf blower had been working fine for a couple of times, and just all of a sudden it's having a problem. The engine will prime and start with very little trouble. It will throttle up and run fine for 2-3 minutes, and then the engine will gradually seem to lose power, and then stop. Then it will not restart unless it sits for 5-10 minutes - and then it will start all over again, and stall and quit.

Let's eliminate some issues: yes, it is getting gas, there's no plugging in the fuel lines, the gas/oil mixture is fine, etc.). I can't imagine that after the engine gets warm that that is causing a problem (but maybe . . .). I notice that when the choke is partially set, the engine seems to run longer without stalling, although at that setting, you can't coax the maximum engine RPM and blowing power.

Any suggestions (or just good guesses) about what might be the problem, based on what I've described? Pose a question or two, if I've left out something relevant that might help with the diagnostic. Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 4,988 • Replies: 4
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 10:45 am
Put some stabilizer in the gastank.
My blower does the same thing.
this seems to help.
CDobyns

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2010 12:33 pm
@PUNKEY,
Okay thanks. I'll put this in both the suggestion and good guess answer. I'll admit to only fleeting familiarity with gasoline stabilizers, but I think they mostly function to prevents the formation of gum, varnish and corrosion/rust in engines during storage. Since this engine/carburetor is effectively brand new and the gas tank is the standard extruded hard plastic, and my gasoline is fresh (or least that's what the gas station told me . . .), I'm not sure exactly what the gas stabilizer will do for me.

I'll hang to this idea for right now. I know the price of 4 oz. of stabilizer is probably negligible and I understand this approached worked for you, but I'm not going to give into the temptation to embrace the first suggestion, just yet.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 07:41 am
I got a reaming out for putting regular into my boat tank. Must use marina gas or use the stabilizer in premium gas.

Your little leaf blower may be different, but I got better result with my old dog using stabilizer with regular gas.

Put it into my generator, too.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 08:03 am
It sounds like a fuel problem to me. I'm not familiar with leaf blowers but i do know a little about chainsaws.

My best guess.
I know you said it is getting gas but is it getting enough.
It sounds like the engine just runs out of gas. The carburettor will have a float chamber. When this chamber fills wil fuel a float rises and shuts of fuel delivery to the chamber via the needle valve. Its not uncommon for the needle valve to stick closed or partially closed thus reducing the flow of fuel into the chamber, after a period of time the needle valve pops back into the fully open position and allow more fuel in.

0 Replies