There Are Mexicans with Leaf Blowers Under My Window

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 09:16 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:
Last word.. Mexican describes a Nationality...

Sorry Bi-Polar....

Are you actually claiming you know the "nationality" of the brown-skinned gentlemen doing the unappreciated hard work under your window?

It seems to me you referred to them as "Mexicans" without knowing their nationality.

So you can kiss my American ass.

ex off the spot otherwise I won't know where to start. Yes I know his Nationality. He is a Mexican or a Mexican-American one of the two. What his racial makeup is I don't know and don't care.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 09:22 am
http://www.psfk.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/mowercycle.jpg
djjd62

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 09:26 am
better than what poor mr. waters had to deal with

And then in the trees I heard a twig snap
Warning lights flashed on my map
I opened my eyes and to my surprise
There were Arabs with knives at the front of the bed
Right at the front of the bed

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 11:51 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Foofie... you are full of crap.

We now have Hispanics in Congress, in the Administration and on the Supreme court. Hispanics are an important part of the electorate courted by both parties. Hispanics are also a increasingly important part of the Business world and the Hispanic American demographic is heavily marketed to.

The National Council of La Raza is an American institution (built by and for Americans). It has a fairly moderate stance on topics from Education to Healthcare and is run by well-educated, respectable (English-Speaking) Americans. It often has a prominent voice in Congress.

This "they don't assimilate" crap was said about the Italians and Irish as far back as the 1920s and 1930s.

Your posts are out and out bigoted. I am not saying that about any other post on this thread.

You misquoted me; I said, "...cannot assume they have the same WILLINGNESS to ASSIMILATE into the U.S.A. " Why should anyone who does not live with Hispanics know their WILLINGNESS TO ASSIMILATE. One can only judge from the observation that they choose to speak Spanish amongst each other, celebrate holidays from another country that are not religious (Cinco de Mayo), and do not seem to be progressing in school, to the same degree, as other immigrant ethnic groups that ARE CURRENTLY IN THE SAME SCHOOL SYSTEM (e.g. Asians, Russians, Arabs). So, I am not a bigot, as much as an observer of the current state of immigrants progress, including their children in school.

May I remind you that you made the analogy using the "Jew banker" to make a point. Show me one Jewish owned U.S. bank, and then compare it to the other 95 %, or greater, of WASP owned banks, before you call me a bigot.

Also, Irish have been assimilated since the 1800's, if not before. By 1900 they ran Tammany Hall in NYC. First generation Italians born here spoke English amongst each other. They used Italian to speak to parents or grandparents.

The fact that I do not pander to the sensitivities of those that are less competent in the upward mobility competition, amongst different groups enmasse, does not make me a bigot. The truth may be offensive or hurtful to admit that while there are Hispanics that have advanced in American society, there is a large contingent that seem to be assimilating with their brakes on, when it comes to upward mobility and getting an education beyond high school (and then it is often the females that go to college). You explain, please. I only read statistics.

Also, please explain why 65% of Stuyvesant High School students in Manhattan (for gifted students) are Asian. And 10% of NYC is Asian. Remember Kennedy allowed more Asian immigration to the U.S. only in his Presidency. So, why are Asians already in schools for the gifted, and in so many good universities? I will repeat: all ethnic groups are not equal. That is not a bigoted statement.
Francis

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 12:25 pm
ebrown wrote:
Foofie... you are full of crap.

I just can confirm that..

foofie, the little dog wrote:
Why should anyone who does not live with Hispanics know their WILLINGNESS TO ASSIMILATE.

Tell us about your experiences living with Hispanics...

and wrote:
and do not seem to be progressing in school, to the same degree, as other immigrant ethnic groups that ARE CURRENTLY IN THE SAME SCHOOL SYSTEM (e.g. Asians, Russians, Arabs).

This is the result of untold discrimination.

Yours, however, is quite visible.

If it wasn't, tell me why we can observe that the Arabs (North Africans) are not succeeding in assimilating into the French nation, while other nationalities are?

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 12:33 pm
@alex240101,
Does that bike actually work in cutting the grass?
ebrown p

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 01:21 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie,

Please explain how Cinco de Mayo is any different than St. Patrick's day?

((The irony is that Cinco de Mayo and St. Patrick's day are largely American phenomina (i.e. neither of the holidays is particularly important in Ireland or Mexico)).

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 02:05 pm
@ebrown p,
tequila and bushmills. Tacos and corned beef.
roger

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 02:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
It would need a lot more caster in the front fork.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 02:46 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
You got 2 important answers to "...how Cinco de Mayo is any different than St. Patrick's day", and there are more:

1. The Irish know to say "... different from..." and not "than" even in the absence of remedial English classes.
2. They can also spell "phenomena" correctly. Many of them even know the singular of the word.
3. The Irish pay their debts - or at any rate they never had French debt collectors land in Ireland for that purpose.
4. They know their own history. If any - hypothetical - force of French debt collectors had actually landed in Ireland and had been overrun by local bandits, the Irish would know not to celebrate the occasion if, the very next year, the regular French army had arrived, squashing the locals and occypying the capital and much of the countryside for years.
5. St Patrick's day celebrates a Catholic saint, while the only connection between Mexican tyrants and Catholic missions was expropriations without compensation - though Lincoln (not a Catholic himself) did later reverse these thefts, at least in the lands liberated by the U.S.

That's 7 ways we've counted so far between the 2 of us Smile
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 02:48 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
I will repeat: all ethnic groups are not equal. That is not a bigoted statement.

Does disagree on both points.
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 03:03 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I know what you mean, BPB. There are a couple of guys who do landscaping at my office every Monday morning, and around 7:30 is the loud leaf-blower going on, and on ... and this is Arizona! We don't have any leaves! They're just blowing the sand around.

Oh, and I'm not sure their nationalities. They're both brown-skinned, and wear sombreros. Probably Italian.
Francis

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 03:09 pm
@Ticomaya,
Was one of them this guy?

http://www.jokesandhumor.com/jokes/pictures/sombrero.jpg
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 03:10 pm
@Francis,
Darker skinned.

Kinda like this guy:

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/1990/sombrerostrawmexicanhatp.jpg

... except darker-skinned.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 03:20 pm
@Foofie,
You are so full of crap, foofie, I can only assume your eyes must be brown.

Quote:
Also, Irish have been assimilated since the 1800's, if not before. By 1900 they ran Tammany Hall in NYC. First generation Italians born here spoke English amongst each other. They used Italian to speak to parents or grandparents.

As has been pointed out before, Irish spoke English when they came here. Big advantage.

I personally know some Italian families where second and even third generation children are encouraged to speak Italian in the home. It's not because the grandparents don't speak English; it's simply part of the heritage. Parenthetically, I went to university with some Jewish kids who had not learned English until they were sent to public schools; they had always spoken Yiddish in the home, although born here and although their parents knew English perfectly well.

The points you are making, such as they are, are bigoted big-time.
High Seas

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 03:22 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:
N.B. here someone else is quoted: "....and do not seem to be progressing in school, to the same degree, as other immigrant ethnic groups that ARE CURRENTLY IN THE SAME SCHOOL SYSTEM (e.g. Asians, Russians, Arabs).

N.B. this is Francis's quote: [.......]....why we can observe that the Arabs (North Africans) are not succeeding in assimilating into the French nation, while other nationalities are?

Francis - could he have been using the term generically, as in this Sherlock Holmes story, e.g.:
Quote:
...He gave a shrill whistle, on which a street Arab led across a four-wheeler and opened the door. The man who had addressed us mounted to the box, while we took our places inside. We had hardly done so before the driver whipped up his horse, and we plunged away at a furious pace through the foggy streets.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 03:29 pm
Actually, a great many of the first Irish settlers came from Gaelic speaking areas and did not speak english. It was only after the famine swept through Ireland and the exodus began that english was adopted throughout Ireland.
High Seas

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 03:33 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:
..... Parenthetically, I went to university with some Jewish kids who had not learned English until they were sent to public schools; they had always spoken Yiddish in the home, although born here and although their parents knew English perfectly well...

Andrew - I think his point is that most children who spoke languages other than English at home, like the jewish kids you mention, had no problems when they did get to the public schools. Hardly any of the groups you and Foofie list ever required classes in remedial English grammar and literature - unlike our latest justice, the self-proclaimed "affirmative action baby", who spent much of her time at college on those 2 subjects. Foofie has a point there, statistically speaking.
High Seas

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 03:35 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Actually, a great many of the first Irish settlers came from Gaelic speaking areas and did not speak english. ...

That's a fact, as anyone who's lived in Boston can testify: Gaelic sounds like Norman French, though I don't know how similar it is.
Ceili

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 03:36 pm
@High Seas,
I grew up with kids in Canada who came from English speaking families that had difficulty with grammar and literature. This proves nothing.