TURN OFF THAT DAMN LEAF BLOWER!

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 12:48 pm
Can you hear me now?

Can anyone explain to me the allure of leaf blowers?

Is it really easier to tote that thing around than to rake?

Is there some kind of weird mechanical satisfaction to it?

I'm dead serious: why leaf blow?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 5,119 • Replies: 59
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 12:51 pm
For the same reason that one irresistably throws stones in a lake, I think.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 12:52 pm
I like to throw stones in a lake. I like the plunk sound. I like the ripples. It's peaceful. It's relaxing.

Raking is kind of like that.

But leaf blowing?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 12:54 pm
I don't know. I don't have one and have never used one. But if they weren't so noisy, I can see the satisfaction that might come with it. Kind of like pressure washing. The immediate results -- so much cleaner than I could have done without it.

But, I don't think I'd use a leaf blower on grass. On driveways and sidewalks, yes.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 01:01 pm
Every other week this time of year the composting truck comes by. The day before they come my neighborhood is filled with the ear splitting noise of these infernal machines.

If it makes good enough compost for the city it makes good enough compost for me. I just toss my leaves into the garden or mow them into the lawn. If there are a lot I donate them to the city.

But I am trying to understand so I will take that "immediate results" under advisement.

Thank you!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 01:01 pm
I despise leaf blowers, despise them, do you hear?

My former business partner is a landscape contractor and she defends them as infinitely more cost effective/time effective than raking. I don't hear them much up here in Humboldt County, but they were the bane of the neighborhood back in Venice. I remember hearing that they were trying to make lower sound/emissions leaf blowers.

I also don't quite get the blowing them around business... why not vacuum and compost.. though I guess I know the answer, a vacuum that would do that would be too strong for plants you want to stay in place.

To me part of the problem is people who want velvet lawns with no leaves not firmly attached to the tree..
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 01:06 pm
Oh I'm the same way about leaves, boomer. I usually don't even rake unless they are too deep and likely to get moldy when the snows melt, but they often also pile up on my sidewalk and driveway and that can be messy. It's those situations that seem ripe for a leaf blower. But again, I've never used one, so your guess is as good as mine.

Vacuum and compost is a great idea! You'd get the immediate result as well as make good use of the leaves.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 01:12 pm
Amen Sister osso!

Okay. On the positive side we have:

Immediate results
Time effective
Cost effective*

*Really this must only apply to professionals though. My $15 rake has been around for 10 years so it comes in pretty cheap for the amature.

I keep the leaves raked off of the walkways because they can be really slippery! A rake works pretty good though or, I just run my lawn mower over the area and it blows all the leave out of the way. I do understand that most people don't have to mow their yards in November though.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 01:17 pm
My neighbors love to use them at the crack of dawn... they think just because they are up, everyone is up... so it's 6, 7 am and I hear the blowers and the mowers.... it drives me insane!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 01:22 pm
I like leaf blowers in the summer to blow the cut grass off the sidewalks and driveway and porch. It's fabulous! But we also have a cordless one so it's quick and easy to whip out and use.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 01:46 pm
I'm the earliest riser in my neighborhood but I wouldn't dream of turning on such things at that time of day. It would drive me insane too.

Hmmmm Bella. I'm looking for something in your post to add to my list..... but I'm thinking my broom is just as quick and portable.

Is it just more fun, do you think, to use the blower?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 01:47 pm
It is sort of fun....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 01:49 pm
boomerang wrote:

Cost effective*

*Really this must only apply to professionals though. My $15 rake has been around for 10 years so it comes in pretty cheap for the amature.

err...

yeah

but- the city doesnt have to pay you 11.00 an hour to USE the rake.. hehe
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 02:36 pm
On the positive side we have:

Immediate results
Time effective
Cost effective*
Kinda fun

That's why I limited it to professionals, shewolf. As far as I know nobody is paying my neighbors either!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 02:49 pm
Why, Boomer?

Well, that's easy.

It's mostly men using them. Men love their gadgets, y'know. Given the choice of doing anything by hand or with a machine, you know which way they'll always choose. The noise factor is just an added joy for them. P-o-w-e-r-r-r-r-r-r-r........
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 02:56 pm
Oh for sure, Eva. In my neighborhood it is mostly men using the things.

Except for my neighbor July who still uses a rake and a push mower and scissors on his yard. He has the best yard on the block.

The fact that he is 65 and looks 35 would make other men stand up and take notice of the benefits of phyical work. But nooooooo......
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 03:10 pm
all men like a good powerful blow every now and then

oh wait

were not talking abo..

well

Embarrassed
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 04:52 pm
Mr. Noddy loves his leaf blower. Not only does he Rev & Rip while the leaves are falling, he's been known to take the leaf blower out instead of a snow shovel.

I hate the leaf blower. One of my early official acts as a widow is going to be to put the leaf blower in his coffin.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 04:59 pm
Noddy! You're terrible!

But funny.

You've reminded me of when we went to see Sacajewea's grave when visiting Wyoming. The cemetary is quite fanciful with ornamentation reflecting the life of the corpse.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 05:06 pm
I love my leaf blower. I will spend hours blowing around leaves that would probably take me 15 minutes to rake up. That's not the point. But then again, I'm not sure what the point is. I'm pretty sure it's a guy thing, and you might not understand anyway.
0 Replies