Make it funny in English, please

oristarA

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 09:10 am
Thank you, let's move along.

Here goes the fifteenth:

Please Smile

Translated by OristarA

A pair of young Chinese lovers are taking photos in their wedding garments in a studio. The photographer tells the young man:"Sir, please smile." The young man is bitter-faced without a trace of smile despite the photographer repeatedly tells him this.

As the photographer comes to his wit's end, the young woman whispers to her fiance:"We'll not go to Paris and New Yorks, instead, let's just travel to Shanghai and Beijing, okay?"

Immediately, her fiance's face turns to be a flower with a big smile.
oristarA

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 09:13 am
@dadpad,
What can I be of help?
I'm sorry I failed to understand what you said.
Explain please?
Francis

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 11:50 am
@oristarA,
Dadpad is asking for your help in Chinese language.

He wants to put labels on packs that they want to export to Taiwan.

Each pack contains six bike signs.

He wants you to tell him what he should write on the packs.

Something like: 6 自行车 or 6

Is that correct?
BorisKitten

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 01:45 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
Here goes the fifteenth:

Please Smile

OH! I thought this was the joke itself! And I DID smile!

Sometimes here in the US, people will say "Smile!" I hate that, and when they say it to me, I frown. It sounds like an order, and they think I will obey. I don't like orders.

If they were to say, instead, "Please smile," I probably would.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 10:29 pm
@Francis,
Thank you Francis. You've made what Dadpad said clearer.

You ought to use traditional Chinese characters, because simplified Chinese characters are only used in China's mainland.

I've checked the relative news reports in Taiwan about bike signs and bike lanes that make citizens there safer.

Would you like to post a picture of the plastic symbols of your company, Dadpad?

Quote:
(Dadpad wrote:)

The company I work for has an order from Tiawan.
We need a lable for each pack which says "6 bikes" or "6 bike symbols".
The product is meltable plastic symbols that will be fixed (melted) on to the road surface to indicate
a cycling lane.
if you would care to assist i would be most greatful. ( I'm guessing that mandarin would be the most suitable.)

Quote:
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 10:33 pm
Like this?
http://www.bikekingdom.com/image/xin_481002111555449131229.jpg
dadpad

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 12:52 am
@oristarA,
oristarA

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 03:01 am
@dadpad,
I'd equally recommend either of the choices, which are all excellent Chinese expressions.
I'll be surprised if someone in China or in the world can offer you a better choice Smile
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 03:36 am
@oristarA,
As a matter of a joke, Oristar, this sign seems more appropriate to China than yours, which is obviously in Europe, (Netherlands):

http://lck1031.com/leo/9010204.jpg
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:04 pm
Well, here goes the sixth:

Elephant and Mouse

Translated by OristarA

An elephant says to a mouse:"You're the smallest and most useless thing I've ever seen!"

The mouse takes out a piece of paper and a pen from his pocket, replying:"Please say it again, sir. I'll go see a flea later and tell him all you've told me."
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 09:44 pm
Here goes the seventeenth:

The First Step

Translated by OristarA

This day, the table lamp in Daliu's house is out. He takes a new bulb and prepare to remove the bad one and install it. Suddenly he realizes something and asks his 10-year-old son:"Do you know what is the first step about this?" "The first step is to remove the bad bulb." is the reply. Daliu shakes his head. So his son continues:"Knock on the bulb to check out whether it is bad?"

Still shaking his head, Daliu gets irritated:"Have you no the sense of safety? Do you know how dangerous it is when dealing with something electrical? If shocked, you'd lose your life."

Having heard of this, with a thoughtful look on face, his son asks him tentatively:"Do you mean the first step is to make a will?"
0 Replies