"Fox News often operates almost as either the research arm or the communications arm of the GOP"

McGentrix

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 06:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

McGentrix wrote:

Because I don't need to. If you read the ******* link they describe their methodology. I shouldn't need to hold your hands on these things.

You didn't read the methodology link, because that link doesn't describe how they decide whether a story is positive or negative. Do yourself a favor. Click on the link yourself and see if you can find that information. Then, when you fail to, come back and let us know that you're sorry.

Quote:
Do I? Do I need to do that for you guys?

You're gonna feel bad about writing this once you take the time to read their link.

Cycloptichorn

So I need to highlight it as well? I posted it just above. Read it and let me know if I need to get out the highlighter. I honestly don't believe you are this stupid Cyc, so it must be something else.
engineer

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 07:21 pm
Here are two specific examples where Fox deceptively cropped Biden and Obama, intentional distortions to make them appear to say the exact opposite of what they were saying when they spoke.

Fox presents year old Biden comments when Biden was quoting McCain as a positive statement on the economy.

Fox edits Obama comments on healthcare to completely reverse the meaning of this speech.

If you have a good example of another network doing this, I'd like to see it. This is intentional and outright deception on their main news programs with their anchors talking it up. All I had to do to find these is to search for "fox news lies", so it should be pretty easy to do the same for other networks to see if they do the same thing, right?

McGentrix

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 07:34 pm
@engineer,
This?

Race bait: MSNBC lies, edits out black gun owner, says 'white people with guns' threaten Obama

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 09:21 pm
@engineer,
The thing to remember when engaging McGentrix is that he's a fanatically partisan hack.

I'm sure he knows that Faux News tells lies to support the Republican party. He just can't admit that that's wrong.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 10:46 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

So I need to highlight it as well? I posted it just above. Read it and let me know if I need to get out the highlighter. I honestly don't believe you are this stupid Cyc, so it must be something else.

McG, what criteria did they use to determine whether a comment was positive, negative, or neutral in tone? The link says that they did do this but doesn't list the criteria.

This is why OE's point was a valid one; reporting on positive events that happen to a candidate who is winning are not differentiated from a candidate who is actually getting approving comments due to their character, positions, or politics. So comments like 'Obama ahead by 6, analysts say big win in MN coming' become rated as 'positive comments,' even though they are informational in nature.

I'd have to see more data in order to make a decision on the study.

Nevertheless, it is ridiculous to claim that Fox is somehow more balanced than other networks, such as MSNBC, who has a former GOP Congressman (Joe Scarborough) on for three hours a day, spouting all sorts of right-wing views.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 11:07 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDavid wrote:
its that it is more representative of the original values
upon which this Republic was established

Oh yeah? And what values would that be?
McGentrix

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 06:16 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

The thing to remember when engaging McGentrix is that he's a fanatically partisan hack.

as you are as well. What's your point?

Quote:
I'm sure he knows that Fox News tells lies to support the Republican party. He just can't admit that that's wrong.

Why would I need to when I you guys flinging **** at every wall in town hoping something sticks?

Engineer asked a question, I answered it and now he is Able2Know.
engineer

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 06:44 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

So I did and thanks for the links. I agree the second link is a direct distortion, trying to tie those favoring arms rights with racism, but the first one is CBS being duped (of course, they might have been pre-disposed to going there). Still, I don't think either are on par with editing video to imply someone said the exact opposite of what they truly said. Do you agree that FOX was pretty far out of line there, well beyond the "we take a different slant on the news?"
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 06:49 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

OmSigDavid wrote:
its that it is more representative of the original values
upon which this Republic was established

Oh yeah? And what values would that be?
Curtailed domestic powers of government;
Individualism; libertarianism; laissez faire capitalism.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 06:49 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

McGentrix wrote:

So I did and thanks for the links. I agree the second link is a direct distortion, trying to tie those favoring arms rights with racism, but the first one is CBS being duped (of course, they might have been pre-disposed to going there). Still, I don't think either are on par with editing video to imply someone said the exact opposite of what they truly said. Do you agree that FOX was pretty far out of line there, well beyond the "we take a different slant on the news?"

Oh, there is no doubt that Fox stepped over the line in the examples you gave.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 06:58 am
Quote:
In April, Fox News's Wendell Goler reported on an Obama question-and-answer session that was cut short to make it seem as if the president wanted a health care system "like the European countries." In fact, he was just restating a question -- he went on to say that he opposed such a system.

source

What he really said without the crop.

Quote:
Now, the question is, if you're going to fix it, why not do a universal health care system like the European countries?" before responding that America's current employer-based system "works for a lot of Americans. And so I don't think the best way to fix our health care system is to suddenly completely scrap what everybody is accustomed to and the vast majority of people already have. Rather, what I think we should do is to build on the system that we have and fill some of these gaps."

source
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 07:20 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
as you are as well. What's your point?

I am? Really?

Truth is, I've voted for a large number of Republican candidates. Mostly in local elections, admittedly.

I do tend to think that "conservative" is a pretty hollow ideology, because pretty much by definition all it has to offer is foot-dragging.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 09:35 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Individualism? Fox News never struck me as a champion of that.

Libertarianism? Please. Fox may support free markets, but certainly not the civil liberties so dear to both libertarians and liberals. It's a rare sight to see Fox side with an individual defendant against a DA who wants her in jail.

Laisser faire capitalism? Fox does support that, but there was a good deal of economic regulations going on in the states during the founding era. Any restrictions of federal power to regulate the economy were a matter of states' rights, not laissez faire ideology.

Summing up, you are wrong
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 10:12 am
The problem is that if a network were truly fair and balanced, it would appear to the right to be very liberal. This fact is what makes a mockery out of Fox claiming to be fair and balanced.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 10:58 am
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-october-29-2009/for-fox-sake-

John Stewart quite correctly points out that the majority - the vast majority - of Fox 'News' broadcasting isn't even defined as 'news' by them. It's Opinion. They have only a few hours a day of so-called 'news' and none of the people you know from Fox, are News reporters, according to them.

The pretense that Fox is a News organization is a joke. They are a Conservative organization, ran by Roger Ailes, with the express purpose of pumping as much Conservative and Republican opinion onto the airwaves as possible. They are the equivalent of the Washington Times, a propaganda organ, nothing more.

And the WH is perfectly correct to call them out on this. They don't deserve legitimacy, b/c they don't act as a legitimate organization.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 11:23 am
Quote:
This morning on Fox & Friends, hosts Steve Doocy and Alisyn Camerota jokingly reenacted the exchange between a heckler and Nancy Pelosi Thursday.

As the Speaker announced the House's health care reform bill on the steps of the Capitol, a man with a bullhorn shouted, "Nancy Pelosi, you will burn in hell for this!" The Speaker, unfazed, turned in the direction of the man and thanked the "insurance companies of America," eliciting laughs from members of Congress who stood behind her.

video of Fox and Friends at the source
0 Replies