"Fox News often operates almost as either the research arm or the communications arm of the GOP"

farmerman

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 04:35 pm
@kickycan,
he said " douche bag" Im tellin!!
kickycan

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 04:48 pm
@farmerman,
Pardon my french. Strike that phrase from the record please, and replace it with "shower bag."

There. That should rectify my standing with any and all offended defecation masticators in the house.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 05:23 pm
@Centroles,
Quote:
"The reality of it is that Fox News often operates almost as either the research arm or the communications arm of the Republican Party. And it is not ideological... what I think is fair to say about Fox, and the way we view it, is that it is more of a wing of the Republican Party."

Interesting. (An observation from a long way away, admittedly...) Fox News appears to be acting as the opposition to Obama's government, while the Republican Party itself seems to be in complete disarray.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 09:00 pm
@kickycan,
I didn't even know there was a tea party thing on October 17. Did it make the news anywhere else?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 09:36 pm
@revel,
revel wrote:

I didn't even know there was a tea party thing on October 17. Did it make the news anywhere else?
I didn 't either; I guess I shoud have gone,
but I was attending a convention in San Diego.

Maybe thay 'll have another one.

David
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 08:38 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Ican has always gotten pleasure at generating Acronyms. HE is a GOPAG (a GOP Acronym Generatist)

More effective, I think, if shortened down to GAG.

Re FOX et al...I'm not a big fan of Kaus, but this is pretty good... http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/kausfiles/archive/2009/10/20/what-s-your-beef-with-fox-mr-dem-basher.aspx

0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 06:09 pm
And today, for the first time in recent history (if not ever) we have an Administration trying to tell the media how it should behave and attempt to take punative action against those who dare to take opposing positions. I give great credit to the "main-stream media" for standing up to this attempt by the Obama administration to abridge our freedom of the press.

parados

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 12:47 pm
@slkshock7,

It's interesting how none of the other networks seems to have told anyone they did what Fox claims.

Could Fox not be reporting the truth? Wait for it.....
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 12:56 pm
The concept that Fox has any sort of division between 'news' and 'opinion' can only be taken seriously by someone who has never spent any appreciable amount of time watching Fox News at all. I have watched a considerable amount of it, and there exists no division whatsoever.

Cycloptichorn
parados

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 01:00 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Of course by making this into an issue, it means that for other news organizations to cover it properly they will have to examine what it is Fox does. It might turn out badly for Fox before it is all over.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 01:11 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Of course by making this into an issue, it means that for other news organizations to cover it properly they will have to examine what it is Fox does. It might turn out badly for Fox before it is all over.

I think it will, big time. It puts them in the position of having to defend their own slant and their coverage. That's a defensive position and not the place they want to be in.

The Obama WH has smartly re-framed the issue; it isn't a war on 'Fox News' that the WH is waging, it's a war on the Obama WH that Fox News has been waging, since the very first day of his office. They cheer Republican positions constantly. They engage in untruths and half-truths with regularity and the quality of their news reporting is generally poor. Why bother pretending that none of this is true, in the name of 'balance' of opinion?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 08:07 am
Obama is not refusing to give interviews, just not on Fox's schedule or pleasure and he wants to make it plain he does not recognize fox news as a legitimate news organizations, he has a point for anyone with a non partisan brain to figure out. I think it was a smart move as it opens up a conversation long over due concerning the absolute biases of fox news pushing a conservative agenda.

As for those in the last administration to talk about manipulating the press, the irony there is big time.

Quote:
So what type of example did the Bush administration set? A few lowlights:

" The Pentagon had a secret program to use retired military analysts to “generate favorable news coverage of the administration’s wartime performance.” Most of these analysts had “ties to military contractors vested in the very war policies they are asked to assess on air.” When the “message machine” became public, Perino defended the program as “absolutely appropriate.”

" The U.S. military was “secretly paying Iraqi newspapers to publish stories written by American troops in an effort to burnish the image of the U.S. mission in Iraq.” The articles contained anonymous quotes from U.S. military officials " which may or may not have been authentic " and “read more like press releases than news stories.”

" The Education Department paid conservative pundit Armstrong Williams hundreds of thousands of dollars to promote Bush’s No Child Left Behind law. Even after the corruption was uncovered, the administration defended it as “a permissible use of taxpayer funds.”

" The Government Accountability Office found that the Bush administration violated anti-propaganda laws when it disguised two promotional ads " on federal drug policy and Medicare " as news reports. The “reports” aired on dozens of stations, and the GAO “faulted the administration for distributing seemingly independent, ready-to-air reports that did not inform viewers that they came from the government.”

Bush also called a New York Times reporter “a major league asshole” " and never apologized. In fact, Bush never gave the NYT a single interview throughout his presidency. The White House frequently went after NBC News, and Perino has admitted that they essentially froze out MSNBC “towards the end.”

Links at the

source

However, I hope these former bushies keep coming on tv to complain about this administration, in my opinion it can serve to remind people about what a conservative administration managed to accomplish during their term which was absolutely nothing but negatives.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 08:10 am

THE BUSHES WERE NEVER CONSERVATIVES.

Barry Goldwater was a conservative.

David
revel

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 02:22 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I know you guys like to distance yourselves from the Bush administration but other than the last few months, the Bush administration was the very definition of conservatism run amuck with reduced taxes (during times of war) favorable towards the wealthiest and reduced spending on domestic programs. Whats more I never remember any conservatives including yourself complain about anything the Bush administration did until the very end with the bail outs and what not and especially not fox news.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 02:41 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

THE BUSHES WERE NEVER CONSERVATIVES.

Pure bullcrap. Pure.

This is one of the prime ways that Conservatives try and keep their ideology from being discredited: any Conservative who turns out to be a fuckup, obviously wasn't conservative at all.

Cycloptichorn
engineer

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 02:55 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
If your definition of "conservative" is Goldwater, David is right. Bush is a prime example of today's conservative. I doubt Goldwater would recognize today's "conservative" movement. I doubt Reagan would.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 09:19 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

If your definition of "conservative" is Goldwater, David is right.
Bush is a prime example of today's conservative.
I doubt Goldwater would recognize today's "conservative" movement. I doubt Reagan would.
Because it is NOT conservative.

George Washington, James Madison, Barry Goldwater
William F. Buckley, Ron Paul and I are conservatives.

The subject matter of the conservation
is the libertarian spirit of the American Revolution
as set forth in the US Constitution

The Bushes were never conservatives.
To the best of my knowledge, neither of them claimed to be.
Reagan put Bush on the GOP ticket to BALANCE OFF Reagan 's own conservatism.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 06:10 am
And in all of this, not one single specific example of Fox distorting a news story. I'm sure there are some, but I'm sure that there are also examples of news stations that lean to the left distorting news stories. Fox leans to the right, as opposed to other news stations that lean to the left. Presidents have received distorted coverage from news stations or newspapers sympathetic to the other party since the Washington administration in the 18th century. The Obama administration is breaking with longstanding American tradition by trying to silence, or at least intimidate, the opposition news.
revel

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 07:20 am
@Brandon9000,
Obama is not breaking any such thing, bush complained about the New York Times and refused to give any interviews whats so ever and I don't remember the NYT going on a crying jag over it.

And fox news does distort the news on a daily basis.

I'll give you a specific example.

Quote:
And you know it's funny Dana, I didn't do a thorough search, but I did do a little Google thing. The New York Times came out against it, The Nation refers to, says there's a word for what the President and his aids are doing and that's "whining" and refers to the President as the "Whiner-in-Chief", the Baltimore Sun thinks it's stupid, and the Newsweek column said that it is essentually un-American.

Newsweek called Obama un-American? Not only is that complete bullshit, it's backwards. The Newsweek article Doocy cites says that Rupert Murdoch is un-American for bringing the Australian-British-continental model of politicized media to the United States via Fox News. That's right, Newsweek is calling the very existence of Fox News un-American, not the White House for criticizing it.

The article is even called "The O’Garbage Factor. Fox News isn't just bad. It's un-American." How can you possibly **** up the meaning of that article? I guess when Doocy told Perino "I didn't do a thorough search", he wasn't kidding.

The Newsweek article in question can be found here, and below is the relevant excerpt:

What's most distinctive about the American press is not its freedom but its century-old tradition of independence"that it serves the public interest rather than those of parties, persuasions, or pressure groups. Media independence is a 20th-century innovation that has never fully taken root in many other countries that do have a free press. The Australian-British-continental model of politicized media that Murdoch has applied at Fox is un-American, so much so that he has little choice but go on denying what he's doing as he does it. For Murdoch, Ailes, and company, "fair and balanced" is a necessary lie. To admit that their coverage is slanted by design would violate the American understanding of the media's role in democracy and our idea of what constitutes fair play. But it's a demonstrable deceit that no longer deserves equal time.

source
revel

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 07:33 am
The following is a good article that sums up the whole thing pretty good in my opinion.

Quote:
You know, I just don’t get the controversy over the Obama administration’s criticism of Fox News. For one thing, it’s entirely accurate: Fox does not approach its job the same way other organizations do. Most legitimate news organizations honestly attempt to purge their presentations of bias. I’d be the first to concede that all journalistic institutions sometimes fall short of that goal, but the point is, as professionals they try.

Fox doesn’t even make the effort, or even the pretense of an effort. At best, they make the pretense of a pretense of an effort. Bias is what they’re selling " they know it, and their audience knows it. So what’s the big deal about the White House saying out loud what everyone already knows?

Beyond that, though, I’m surprised to see the Washington media play this as some kind of new threat to the purity of media-political relations. It’s not. The Bush administration used to complain publicly and often about coverage from MSNBC and NBC. The Clintons were outraged at how the New York Times covered the Whitewater investigation, and they probably were right to be angry. In a speech back in the ’90s, Newt Gingrich fought back against critical coverage by telling Atlanta business leaders that they ought to institute an ad boycott against the AJC.

Most of the time, the publishers and news executives who field those kinds of angry threats from politicians don’t even bother telling their reporters about them, because the reporters don’t need to know. But sometimes the message is communicated directly. I once had a very influential Democratic state legislator " back when Democrats ran the Capitol " suggest to me privately that if the AJC edit board would back off an ethics reform crusade, legislators might look more favorably on funding a downtown multimodal station. (Note that no such station exists.) And Maynard Jackson, exasperated at criticism over his muni bond business, once informed a group of AJC editors that “I don’t work on Jay Bookman’s plantation.” That was a personal favorite.

The point is, it’s a rough-and-tumble relationship between the media and those we cover, and it always will be and ought to be. Politicians who feel under attack will return fire, and personally I think they have that right. What Harry Truman said is true of the media as well as politicians: If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

source