DREAMING , A PALLETTE

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 05:17 am
Believe it or not, last night was the first time I realized that I dreamed in garish technicolor. My dreams ahve always been enetertaining but color was always earth tone and blue sky with occasional flowers or brilliant fish, etc.

LAst night I was running a school course in my dreams and I was presenting all sorts of graphics. The colors of which were gaudy and really badly juxtaposed (I wonder whether theres something to whether I was evidencing some classical symptom of early dementia by showing graphs in all these garish complementary colors. I was really startled at my play of colors . I woke up like it was a nightmare when one of my graphs was in a brilliant purple and yellow with red and green at the bottom. I cant put em out of my mind.

Im really worried, this has never (to my recollection) happened before.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 2,109 • Replies: 28
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 05:48 am
@farmerman,
Damn, farmer this is annoying! Just when you start this fascinating thread, I must go to bed.

Ah well. I'll catch up tomorrow
farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 05:50 am
@msolga,
Dont be dream9ing in wild colors itll scare the crap out of you.
msolga

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 05:52 am
@farmerman,
I'll do my best not to! Laughing

Night night.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 06:30 am
I believe that dreams can always be related to something the happened to us. Our sub conscious is just able to get at it during rest.

Were you looking at the Fall colors, or trees the last few days? Perhaps even explaining the whole process to someone?
In any case, you are trying to explain something colorful to others.
farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 07:05 am
@sullyfish6,
we were talking about the fall colors. It was the weird juxtaposition of colors that were"Not friendly" that got to me.

Im a little hypochondriacal so when I woke up I took my BP.
sullyfish6

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 08:29 am
Since when are nature's colors "not friendly"?

It was something else that was bothering you, not the colors.

THINK!!
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 08:33 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Im a little hypochondriacal so when I woke up I took my BP.

couple of months ago my family physician suggested i take my own b.p. morning and evening .
couple of weeks ago i saw a cardiologist .
when i told him about taking my b.p. twice a day ( upon physicians recommendation ) , he smiled a bit and said : " about once a month should be fine . otherwise you likely give yourself the "white-coat" disease ! .
so i stashed the p.b. meter away on the highest shelf - and the family doctor has not asked me ONCE about my b.p. ! $100 down the drain - or up the shelf ... ...

btw , i often dream in colour - ususally when drifting off fairly close to midnight ... seems very pleasant .
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 10:03 am
@farmerman,
I wouldn't worry yet. Take this one singular incident as a fluke and with a grain of salt.

I always have intriguing and abstruse dreams but until you mentioned it here I never thought of the color schemes in which my dream world was painted in. I guess as an afterthought, I don't ever remember having any blantantly kitschy colored dreams myself.

I'd be more mildly captivated then bemused. I suppose you should start worrying only if it turns out to be a constant and recurring theme in your dreams.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 10:20 am
Hmmm. I have dreamed in color, such as one in which I received a new blue coat one winter and discovered that God wears blue also in a seperate dream. But nothing that compares with what you describe.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 10:40 am
I was reading about color in dreaming as a sign of additional stress . Im gonna do what sullyfdish said and think about it more. Im not usually a head job. We did have a real vegetarian supper at some friends last night but that was a really fun time with 3 couples and no stresses or conflicts. (Just a bunch of old hippies recalling a party we had last Christmas)
Setanta

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 10:47 am
You're a piker. I've had dreams which were animated water color washes, dreams in which i was merely a spectator and there were well-known actors in the action, dreams with loud theme music (when the music gets ominous, you know something bad is gonna happen), dreams with voice-over commentary . . .

When i was still relatively young (mid-20s) i experienced "lucid dreaming" which i had triggered intentionally. I did that for nearly a decade, and it was after that, after i stopped attempting to control my dreams that i started getting the really way out ****.

The water color dreams were the best . . .

(EDIT: Click here for a description of lucid dreaming.)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 10:59 am
Interesting thing about the whole concept of dreaming "in color." The idea that it might be possible to dream, somehow, not in color must have originated with the invention of photography and, in particular, motion pictures. Before that, the whole question of "Do you dream in color?" would have seemed absurd. How else does one dream? You are surrounded by color in the real world. But early movies were all in black and white or sepia. So the concept of dreams as interior moving pictures came into being.

I wouldn't worry too much, farmer. Something that's in the back of your mind, haunting your subconscious, made you see some extremes, that's all. I've had dreams which involved not just sight and sound, but taste. Have actually tasted the tang of good sour mash whiskey while fast asleep.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 11:18 am
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
I've had dreams which involved not just sight and sound, but taste. Have actually tasted the tang of good sour mash whiskey while fast asleep.

I wonder if I could somehow combine the power of lucid dreaming (in which I do occasionally find myself dreaming in) and the ability to taste...

imagine how healthy we'd all be if we could remember the taste of a pint of Haagen Daaz ice cream in our dreams, without having to actually scarf down all of that saturated fat involved with eating it in the real world....

To eat gallons of dulce de leche ice cream and other junk food and not gain any weight or any of the harmful side effects from the fat.

Or is that just a delusional pipe dream?
farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 01:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ive often combined taste and smell i my dreams, especially in the Fall wqhen theres a particular acrid fallen leaf smell that brings on further memories.

Set, its not the color that bothered me but the weird combinations of complementary colors that I find diagreeable when its too jumbled. Ill bet your "watercolor" dreams were associated with a beverage of choice. I recall having dreams following heavy drinking and pizza (espewcially) where there would be copious amounts of blood in all its forms of oxidation (from vermillion arterial blood to deep cordovan dried blood),

Ive never had a watercolor "wash" dream because I was always busy doing watercolors and was in fairly good control of the medium.
In a dream, I could intrvene with some frisket or washout medium and return the highlights to a brilliant white. Ive often had dreams where I was actually painting a watercolor , but this dream was the weird combinations of dumb colors , like the Mardi Gras dcolors and juxtraposed with the Irish Flag.

Holy ****!! I just recalled that yesterday afternoon IO was looking and finding wooden boat kits and several were from the Louisiana CEltic SOciety (Mardis Gras and Ireland) . Wonder if dreams can take off from loose associations like that?
Setanta

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 01:24 pm
@farmerman,
Actually, my "watercolor wash" dream came after i had given up the creature. Neither drugs nor alcohol seemed to have had much of an influence. The most significant thing was the lucid dreaming. I did that from mid 20s until late 30s, and finally just sort of gave it up. My psyche didn't seem to appreciate it, and although i've never been subject to nightmares, toward the end of my lucid dreaming period i had truly horrific nightmares, worse than anything anyone else has ever described to me. It was a few years after i had stopped attempting to control my dreams that the bizarre dreams came along. Animation, as in cartoon characters rather than some semblance of reality. The watercolor wash dreams. Motion picture dreams, in which i was a spectator and not a participant, with recognizable "movie stars" playing in them. Over the last ten years of so, my dreams have "returned to normal" . . . i guess . . . i first attempted lucid dreaming when i was about eight years old, so it's hard for me to say just what "normal" should be.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 01:57 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
(Just a bunch of old hippies recalling ........

Frankly, that's what it is - you've got some residual "Lucy in the Sky" left over from your hippie days.
farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 03:04 pm
@Setanta,
did you sleep with the tv on? that has been known to influence dreams. Ive heard of lucid dreaming from the times I listened to Art Bell. They made a cult of it.
y dreams though, always involve me and either my reearch, my work, my family, or big animals that require me to protective .

Some of the really traumatic stuff in my life has really never popped up in dreams with the exception of one guy who shows up every few years.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 03:05 pm
@CalamityJane,
We were all in earth trone clothes , no tie dye or ikhat.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 04:59 am
@farmerman,
<donning amateur dream analyst hat>

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, let's see .....

Quote:
LAst night I was running a school course in my dreams and I was presenting all sorts of graphics.......

Could it be a dream about work stress, farmer? (Did you ever teach courses, BTW, or have to present very accurate detailed information (including graphs! Idea) .......

My hunch is that the weird colours were more a manifestation of your anxiety ( the supposed-to-be-neat & accurate graphs going haywire, running amok, out of control) than the actual subject of your dream.

How's that?

Sounds a pretty good theory to me! Very Happy