Everytime I think I have gotten the hang of the parenting thing, something else comes up

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:17 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
How old were they?

In the 8-10 range is my best guess.

Quote:
Did they know they drew blood? That might be my starting point if they were pretty young -- "Hey, you made me bleed!" <pause to let that sink in, look at blood in a concerned way, dab at it to see if there is more, etc.>

I didn't know about the blood till I showered, "gash" might be a bit of a strong word for it, more like a "nick". But in what I think is the spirit of your question I don't think they completely got that they were hurting people. I did tell them it hurt though, and they just said "what?" and giggled.

Quote:
Then, "This is serious. Stop... NOW." (Accompanied by physically going forward a bit, intense eyes, etc. The mom voice/ look.)

I did that, they did the "what?" routine. So the ball worked.

Quote:
If they were young, there's a chance they really didn't get how damaging they were being. Impulsivity/ not thinking things through/ not realizing likely consequences.

Yup, I don't think they were intentionally hurting people so much as getting a rise out of them. But when they ran away after the ball, I was concerned that it would just become part of the game for them and escalate. Thankfully it didn't.
sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:20 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Sure.. can find it back. Here or new topic? I'm fine with either.

From what you've said, one of my first questions would be what "works" means. As in, getting physical can "work" in the moment -- shocking them out of their behavior, getting them to stop for the time being, quickly shifting the balance of power back in favor of the adult, that kind of thing -- while being detrimental in a long-term way.

I'm not sure I'd want to argue that it's never ever ever justified though -- 99.99% of the time is good enough for me. I'm not sure that there is anything I'd argue would apply 100% of the time, with no exceptions. People are just too individual. (Which is not to say that I do think this girl would need corporal punishment -- no idea at this point.)

edit: one more thing -- I don't think that corporal punishment always creates monsters, or anything. I know many people who were spanked and turned out just fine. I'm pretty convinced by research though that these people would've turned out fine anyway, and that spanking isn't what made them fine -- spanking just wasn't enough to turn them away from the fine-ness they would've otherwise achieved. (While it does have significant detrimental effects on others.)
sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:25 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yeah, I read through last page fast before I started responding and missed some details... like that they'd been terrorizing others, too. Little shits.

The basketball thing worked, but it probably reinforced the behavior -- they're probably more likely rather than less likely to do it next time. (Next time can be other people, not necessarily you.)

Again, there's just so little control you have in that situation, which is frustrating. Presumably the school has more control, which is why my instinct would be to get them involved (I see belatedly that FreeDuck said the same thing).
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:25 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
Well, being a parent is complicated for sure, but I think you'd be good at it.

I'm proud enough to think I would too, but that isn't all I'm concerned about. I'm also just not sure I'd enjoy it. Just having a dog seems like a ball and chain sometimes and I worry so much about getting the dog rearing right that I think I'd be a bit of a neurotic parent. The whole Nemo's dad thing is what I think I'd fail at and overall I think I'd just be too worried as a parent to enjoy it. I can get very over protective, and then get over rational about being too protective and so on...

Quote:
Which is to lead up to, at this point, (we'll see what happens when she reaches her teens), she's very good about figuring this stuff out herself and won't hang out with a brat because SHE doesn't want to hang out with a brat. I haven't felt the need to step in.

From what you've posted about her it sounds like you've got a pretty darn good girl on your hands. Which I'm sure is a testament to what you've done over the years.

Thing is, I've always believed, in my resistance to corporal punishment that this is the kind of thing you can teach into any kid, but then I've been faced with a few cases where it just doesn't seem to work.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:26 pm
@sozobe,
Might as well be here, it seems on topic enough.

And what I was talking about wasn't short term, but long term. In the short term murder works very well too to stop a behavior too. What I meant was that it seemed like the firm, but not physical, approach just wasn't enough for some strong spirits. Their line seemed to need physical discomfort and my theory is that they might have needed the physical discomfort early on in order to be more receptive to the authority in the future.

Anywho, looking forward to your research.
sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:29 pm
@Robert Gentel,
It really depends but I doubt it. My guess would be more towards needing strong attachment in infancy/ early childhood so that more subtle disciplinary stuff had more meaning.

Off to find the research I'm thinking of...
sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:33 pm
@sozobe,
OK, here's a start... links within:

http://news.duke.edu/2009/09/berlin.html
sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:34 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
"Our findings clearly indicate that spanking affects children's development," according to Lisa J. Berlin, research scientist at the Center for Child and Family Policy at Duke University and the study's lead author. Specifically, children who were spanked more often at 1 behaved more aggressively when they were 2 and had lower scores on tests measuring thinking skills when they were 3. These findings held up even after taking into consideration such family characteristics as mothers' race and ethnicity, age, and education; family income and structure; and the children's gender. The study also found that children who were more aggressive at age 2 and had lower cognitive development scores at ages 1 and 2 were not spanked more at ages 2 and 3. "So the mothers' behaviors look more influential than the children's," said Berlin.

http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/study-low-income-toddlers-spanking-found-have-negative-effects-25157.html
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:50 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Well, my husband worried about the same things and he loves being a dad but still hasn't come around to the dog thing...

Having a kid is genuinely rewarding at like the molecular level, but I know that there are some exceptions there too, so I won't say HAVE A KID ALREADY! But I'm a worrier and a second-guesser and am glad (can ya tell?) that I went for it.

Robert Gentel wrote:

Thing is, I've always believed, in my resistance to corporal punishment that this is the kind of thing you can teach into any kid, but then I've been faced with a few cases where it just doesn't seem to work.

I know what you mean... I really think this stuff starts from the very very beginning though. Day 1. There probably are kids who even when they get everything they need from day 1 they still have issues... maybe corporal punishment is for them. More than 0.01% of the time though? I don't really think so...

(The links I put up are for the study I was thinking of... I'm finding lots of other stuff that references other studies without cites or is otherwise pretty anecdotal, which may not be convincing. For example:

http://askdrsears.com/html/6/T062100.asp
and
http://childrenshospitalblog.org/spanking-has-detrimental-effects-on-children/ )
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:59 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
The basketball thing worked, but it probably reinforced the behavior -- they're probably more likely rather than less likely to do it next time. (Next time can be other people, not necessarily you.)

That's something to think about, not entirely sure I agree but it certainly is plausible.

Quote:
Again, there's just so little control you have in that situation, which is frustrating. Presumably the school has more control, which is why my instinct would be to get them involved (I see belatedly that FreeDuck said the same thing).

I agree, but even knowing this I don't know if I'd bother to do it, which makes me feel hypocritical about how I criticize society from getting away from "it takes a village" to more individualism but I know the limits of my laziness and that seems right past it. I think it would have had to escalate for me to go seek out the school solution (e.g. I don't even know how to get into the school, whether the kids were even from the school right next to the park, or if the school would have just saw me as a nuisance to ignore etc).

The ball was a lot easier and acceptable enough for me personally. I think my limits might have been to go up and try to talk to the kids more which I think is better and I might have tried if I weren't angry, but the ball was easy and acceptable enough. Plus more emotionally satisfying, I wanted to throw something back!
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 03:02 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
Well, my husband worried about the same things and he loves being a dad but still hasn't come around to the dog thing...

Having a kid is genuinely rewarding at like the molecular level, but I know that there are some exceptions there too, so I won't say HAVE A KID ALREADY! But I'm a worrier and a second-guesser and am glad (can ya tell?) that I went for it.

Right now I'm in the delay mode. Thinking that once I have kids there's no undo, and I might as well try to have some fun before they ruin it all (even having Harry makes travel more difficult). If I don't have kids it will likely just be because I delayed too much.

Thanks for the links (especially the ones with links to the actual studies, mainstream news reporting on studies is usually pretty bad), I'm going to dig into it when I have more time.
dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 03:36 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Would love to see some input from other parents here on this issue. What do you do when it comes down to running-away from a violent kid or physically reacting?

That's a real killer.

I am not a parent, but I have to deal with violent kids....but the crucial thing is I have some sort of relationship with them, in that SOMEONE has brought them to me, so it's not quite the total stranger scenario.

With kids I see I would certainly not, of course, hit them....but I have never run away.

I have been lucky with adolescents...been threatened with chairs held over their heads, secateurs, scissors, broken glass....but oddly not been frightened, and simply calmly insisted they behave.

Of course, there'll always be the day one doesn't.

With smaller kids, if attacked, I have simply taken their hands and stopped them.

This usually has worked in a couple of seconds, but I had a 7 year old attack me consistently for an hour a little while back.

This is the sort of situation where your career flashes before your eyes, as this was a kid who habitually makes false accusations that people have hurt her. I thought of stopping the session....but decided that, as there is literally nobody in this kid's life who can control her, that doing so would send a final message to her that nobody can, and she is already the most disturbed little girl I have seen in a loooong time.

With strange kids it's a nightmare!

We were in a restaurant a while back, with a family nearby, with about four kids.

The kids snuck up behind me, and one of them gave me a hard poke. I have a very exaggerated startle reflex, so the experience was very unpleasant.

I ignored it, assuming the parents would do something.

Poke two, I was annoyed....and turned round, saw the parents couldn't give a damn, and said calmly but firmly that their behaviour was inappropriate and not to do it again.

Poke three, and I was angry....parents still not giving a damn...so I repeated the words more intensely, saying if they did it again I would approach their parents.

NOW a parent responds! Not to the kids, but the father stood up and began a tirade of screaming and swearing at me....and advances like he's going to hit me.

I was actually angered enough by his behaviour that I felt like behaving in the same way.

Instead I just told him that he was being a poor example to his children, and that he should have acted a lot earlier. His wife, who was clearly very embarrassed, controlled him.

In the situation you describe re the gravel, where the kids were hurting and frightening people, I would likely try a calm and pleasant approach, and if the behaviour went on, tell them I would call the police if the behaviour continued, and do so.

But I am in a country where police deal pretty well and appropriately with naughty kids, and would likely actually respond, too....if they had time...when behaviour had escalated to that point.

As you say, kids need reasonable consequencing for such behaviour

There would be lots of countries where I imagine that would not be an option.

Re the beggar kid...damn.....that's hard. I don't think physical violence is ever an option, unless one is seriously attacked by a kid big enough to do serious harm....I'd certainly confront and yell...and possibly physically restrain....as in, "I won't let you hurt me, and I will let go as soon as you stop."

But your situation? That's tough.

Linkat

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 03:47 pm
@dlowan,
I had a situation on the commuter train I used to take. I was on the train with a friend of mine and these kids (and they were little kids) were acting up/making noise and being a nusance to the normal commute. And yes they were under "adult supervision."

My stop was before my friend's. On my way out, I did make a comment to them that they should behave. Unfortunately on my way off I did not hear the uproar that this had caused. My friend let me know the next day at work. Apparantely these "adults" told the kids to tell me off - f...ing this and that and a whole lot of colorful words were directed at me by the children at the prompting of these "adults".

It was probably a good thing that I didn't hear it, because I am the type to respond. In this case, I actually feel bad for the children - with adults like that to teach them, they ain't got much of a chance.
dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 03:54 pm
@Linkat,
I really have to watch myself in public situations like that!!!

Because I spend so much time with kids, and teaching feral parents about emotionally intelligent discipline, and doing it myself in sessions with the feral results of the feral parents, I tend to just respond to kids without thinking.

Very reasonably and gently, but parents, ...especially incompetent ones...tend to be extremely sensitive to what appears to them (and likely IS, in reality) criticism. Many lousy ones also have traumatic or poor attachment histories, and tend to misread benign expressions and actions as being hostile or threatening.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 04:02 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

I don't think physical violence is ever an option, unless one is seriously attacked by a kid big enough to do serious harm....I'd certainly confront and yell...and possibly physically restrain....as in, "I won't let you hurt me, and I will let go as soon as you stop."

There are certainly times where physical violence is required to make safe...if you are not trained in restraint and a kid is big enough/small enough to do serious harm to himself or others. Is that right? Doesn't and never did feel right - my ex-husband had the choice at times of pulling a punch or getting stabbed by a 12 yr old - was a not an easy decision and had to taken split second. I did the opposite as I physically could not fight with my child, so got cut with the knives or thrown to the ground - had I been able to punch out.... I still don't know if I would - the last time I didn't - took the punches and my son was arrested and locked up for a nite. Had we been able to not use physical violence / or self proection as we had to view it then - well, nothing would have altered the fact the 3 knives in a hand and also an 8 yr old sibling exposed to this at any random moment was soul destroying - it impeacted every family member - the only other result was watching a child very calmly cut his body to pieces in front of me - too many times to remember. That's a lot harder than thowing a punch.

There are many degrees of physical violence, and many responses. Calling the police ended most of ours - "naughty little boy" they said. Yeah... right. They dealt with a child with no understanding of any of his problems. The believed he was just a bad kid.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 04:05 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Quote:
Would love to see some input from other parents here on this issue. What do you do when it comes down to running-away from a violent kid or physically reacting?

That's a real killer.

I am not a parent, but I have to deal with violent kids....but the crucial thing is I have some sort of relationship with them, in that SOMEONE has brought them to me, so it's not quite the total stranger scenario.

With kids I see I would certainly not, of course, hit them....but I have never run away.

I have been lucky with adolescents...been threatened with chairs held over their heads, secateurs, scissors, broken glass....but oddly not been frightened, and simply calmly insisted they behave.

Of course, there'll always be the day one doesn't.

With smaller kids, if attacked, I have simply taken their hands and stopped them.

This usually has worked in a couple of seconds, but I had a 7 year old attack me consistently for an hour a little while back.

This is the sort of situation where your career flashes before your eyes, as this was a kid who habitually makes false accusations that people have hurt her. I thought of stopping the session....but decided that, as there is literally nobody in this kid's life who can control her, that doing so would send a final message to her that nobody can, and she is already the most disturbed little girl I have seen in a loooong time.

With strange kids it's a nightmare!

We were in a restaurant a while back, with a family nearby, with about four kids.

The kids snuck up behind me, and one of them gave me a hard poke. I have a very exaggerated startle reflex, so the experience was very unpleasant.

I ignored it, assuming the parents would do something.

Poke two, I was annoyed....and turned round, saw the parents couldn't give a damn, and said calmly but firmly that their behaviour was inappropriate and not to do it again.

Poke three, and I was angry....parents still not giving a damn...so I repeated the words more intensely, saying if they did it again I would approach their parents.

NOW a parent responds! Not to the kids, but the father stood up and began a tirade of screaming and swearing at me....and advances like he's going to hit me.

I was actually angered enough by his behaviour that I felt like behaving in the same way.

Instead I just told him that he was being a poor example to his children, and that he should have acted a lot earlier. His wife, who was clearly very embarrassed, controlled him.

In the situation you describe re the gravel, where the kids were hurting and frightening people, I would likely try a calm and pleasant approach, and if the behaviour went on, tell them I would call the police if the behaviour continued, and do so.

But I am in a country where police deal pretty well and appropriately with naughty kids, and would likely actually respond, too....if they had time...when behaviour had escalated to that point.

As you say, kids need reasonable consequencing for such behaviour

There would be lots of countries where I imagine that would not be an option.

Re the beggar kid...damn.....that's hard. I don't think physical violence is ever an option, unless one is seriously attacked by a kid big enough to do serious harm....I'd certainly confront and yell...and possibly physically restrain....as in, "I won't let you hurt me, and I will let go as soon as you stop."

But your situation? That's tough.

When their father screamed at u,
what did he say? What was his position in the matter?
Did he object to something in your behavior?

People of all ages, above the ages of walking and speaking,
can be nuts in many, many very different ways, according to my observation.
Those kids already became physical with u, more than once.
In those circumstances, it woud not have been surprizing
if thay escalated blunt force trauma or sharp force trauma, for their continued amusement.
I am not certain that remaining in your seat without active self defense was a viable option.

dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 04:17 pm
@Izzie,
Well, I was discussing responding to kids not your own acting out anti-socially and being physically threatening, not so much one's own children at home with distressed and distressing behaviour.

I'd not comment on such a situation without knowing all the facts, and not here.

But it sounds awful for everyone Izzie.
dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 04:22 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Lol!!

The father's comments were so disgusting and nasty that I certainly won't be repeating them here! And, I am a happy swearer, but I'd not repeat such a torrent.

Secondly David, you really do seem to live in great fear.

These were KIDS poking an adult inappropriately and somewhat painfully, but it was uncomfortable not dangerous!!!!!

The father? He was doing territoriality and, I suspect, the kind of mis-reading I alluded to above, and thus thinking he was being protective as well as reacting to thinking I was being critical of the fruit of his loins, and thus of him.

I was clearly implicitly being critical of his parenting, in that he and his wife weren't DOING any.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 05:11 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Quote:
Lol!!

The father's comments were so disgusting and nasty
that I certainly won't be repeating them here! And,
I am a happy swearer, but I'd not repeat such a torrent.

From your response, now I see that I misunderstood the situation.
My mind was still running in the spirit of rock-throwing kids.
A few years ago, while driving in heavy traffic in the Bronx,
my car was hit with rocks from above when I drove under a bridge.
I complained to police 5 minutes later, at the side of the road,
giving a summons. I 'm sure nothing came of it.

Quote:
Secondly David, you really do seem to live in great fear.
If I have given that impression, Dlowan,
then I have been in error, and for that, I apologize.

In the fullness of sincerity:
I am in no fear. Nothing and no one has threatened me.
I have never had any enemies. No one is out to get me.
In my life, the most and only thing that I fear
is a slow loss of personal freedom. Honestly, I live in contentment and tranquility,
with all of my needs being well satisfied.
I lead quite a happy and undemanding life with no peril.
Thank u for your concern; its very kind of u.

Quote:

These were KIDS poking an adult inappropriately and somewhat painfully,
but it was uncomfortable not dangerous!!!!!
I see.
Indeed, some of my girlfriends have had children,
including some who have lived with me and I have been poked.
Truth be told: I LIKE it; to me, it feels good.
I have never told them not to do it, nor did I imply it.
(To me, when someone just brushes against me, going past: it feels good.)
I have never been attacked in earnest by any of them,
tho I have been by their mothers.

Quote:

The father? He was doing territoriality and, I suspect, the kind of
mis-reading I alluded to above, and thus thinking he was being
protective as well as reacting to thinking I was being critical of
the fruit of his loins, and thus of him.
I see. It sounds like alcohol was involved.

Quote:
I was clearly implicitly being critical of his parenting,
in that he and his wife weren't DOING any.

U clearly had a right to demand that thay restrain their children,
if u wished to assert such a demand.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 06:09 pm
@dlowan,
It does indeed...

Quick Kay-sozlet update -- the whole playdate went well, they goofed around and laughed a lot and seem thoroughly back on an even keel. Kay was clearly a bit worried that I didn't like her anymore and was more focused on me than usual, and seemed very happy/ relieved when I praised her for some things she did, laughed at her jokes, etc.