My God... What An Idiot...

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 07:20 am
@ebrown p,
Agree with JPB -- the whole thing was worth a listen. "Post-partisan depression" guffaw.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 07:32 am
@mysteryman,
I think he's entitled to say whatever he wants-- regardless of whether it's unprecedented to blurt it out in the halls of congress.

However, he's paying for it now, regardless of whether Obama is a liar or not, the majority of people do not take kindly to bad etiquette/form.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 07:38 am
Just read this, made me laugh:

Matt Yglesias wrote:
Personally, I sort of liked Rep Joe Wilson’s idea of introducing British-style heckling to the halls of congress; totally disrespectful and out of step with American tradition, true, but their tradition is better. Unfortunately, Wilson was also lying about the point at issue and will thereby set back the cause of heckling by decades.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 07:58 am
I was wondering how Rush Limbaugh would spin this incident. He might want to put Joe Wilson on Mount Rushmore.
revel

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 08:00 am
@mysteryman,
Freeduck answered your question about children and insurance here

You are bringing up problems which we have already been dealing with through medicare and medicaid. In order to get medicare or medicaid you have to provide substantial documents to prove you are either a citizen or a legal resident. The same system can be incorporated just as well if this bill is implemented.

Quote:
Critics say there is no way to enforce the ban on subsidies for undocumented workers, since the Democratic majority in the House turned back a Republican effort to explicitly stiffen citizenship checks. But Medicare and Medicaid already require those enrolled to provide "a substantial number of documents" to show they're U.S. citizens or legal residents, said Henrie Treadwell, a professor of community and preventive medicine at Atlanta's Morehouse University medical school.

source
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 08:12 am
@FreeDuck,
I wouldn't have taken you for an Eminem fan.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 08:15 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

How are we going to stop the parent from getting subsidies to buy insurance for that child?

Why should we?

mysteryman wrote:
And how are we going to make sure that the subsidies go ONLY to that childs insurance needs?

Money is fungible. If they get the subsidy, and they buy the child insurance, everthing's good. If they don't buy the insurance, they shouldn't get the subsidy, either.

What's the problem, here, other than a knee-jerk reaction to the words "illegal immigrant"?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 08:27 am
I don't really have a dog in this fight. However, i must say that it is very ironic to think that there are people who would fulminate about their tax dollars being used to provide medical care to someone here illegally, but don't bat an eye at the thought of the millions upon millions, if not actually billions, spent each year to maintain an aging arsenal of nuclear devices sufficient to blow the planet into a gravel heap.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 08:33 am
@Setanta,
For that matter, their dollars are already being spent on healthcare for illegal immigrants, because they use the emergency room and we all pay for it.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 08:43 am
mysteryman wrote:
Are the halls of congress so sacrosanct that people have to be quiet and not react to what is said?

I don't think so, and I don't really care about the argument that some will use about "respecting" the office of president. Few really respect the office itself, unless it's occupied by their side (witness all the folk here who cheered when a shoe was thrown at Bush but suddenly call for respect for Obama). I certainly don't think they should be treated with kid gloves.

That being said what he did (and to a lesser extent what the sign holders were doing) is just plain retarded. And they should pay the political price for it. They had no legitimate policy point to make, and are taking petty political obstruction too far. His own party recognizes how daft that was and will ostracize him for it. So will the public.

And they have every right to do so, and the public has every right to punish him at the ballot box. This guy might have just torpedoed his career, and for what? He had no legitimate policy point to make whatsoever in his disruption, and looks like an ass as a result. He missed a great opportunity to keep his mouth shut and this is the predicable consequence.

I think it's hilarious!
wandeljw

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 08:51 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

I was wondering how Rush Limbaugh would spin this incident. He might want to put Joe Wilson on Mount Rushmore.

I was only joking when I said that. But a "Google" of Limbaugh and Joe Wilson shows a speech that Wilson made in the House of Representatives on October 23, 2007:

Quote:
WILSON: Madam Speaker, last week, America's number-one radio personality, Rush Limbaugh, auctioned off for charity a letter shamefully signed by a group of 41 Democrat senators. The letter to Limbaugh's employer attacked Rush for comments blatantly distorted by Media Matters regarding persons who had lied about their service in the military. I am happy to report that the Senate letter of infamy auctioned for $2.1 million, an amount Rush says he will generously match. That brings the total to $4.2 million. The money will be donated to the Marine Corps-Law Enforcement Foundation. This charitable organization provides financial assistance to the children of fallen Marines and law enforcement officers. I wish to commend Rush for overcoming what was clearly a political ploy to chill his First Amendment rights of free speech. Rush took an abuse of power by Democrat leadership and turned it into something positive. Between Rush Limbaugh and Senate Democrats, America knows who really supports our troops.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 08:53 am
@DrewDad,
Good point, but keep it under your hat . . . there's a lot of them right wingers who might go lookin' for somebody to shoot . . .
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 08:55 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I don't think so, and I don't really care about the argument that some will use about "respecting" the office of president. Few really respect the office itself, unless it's occupied by their side (witness all the folk here who cheered when a shoe was thrown at Bush but suddenly call for respect for Obama). I certainly don't think they should be treated with kid gloves.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I do want to point out that had the shoe been thrown by one of our own congressmen it would have been a different story. Just as if the heckling had been done by an ordinary person in a crowd or even a reporter it would not have been news.
ebrown p

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 09:00 am
@DrewDad,
For that matter, illegal people are paying for their social security....
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 09:07 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:
I don't necessarily disagree, but I do want to point out that had the shoe been thrown by one of our own congressmen it would have been a different story. Just as if the heckling had been done by an ordinary person in a crowd or even a reporter it would not have been news.

I agree and again (this is a recurring theme) am not trying to make the case that the situations are perfectly equal I'm not even trying to compare the attacks themselves.

My point was more along the lines of how each side trades turns caring about "respecting the office of president". Very few really do (no knock on them, I have no special respect for the position myself) and really just use it as a political bludgeon. I'd have more respect for that argument if either side really showed any real respect for the office when their own guy isn't holding it.

Edit: I disagree that if it were an ordinary person it wouldn't be news though. It shouldn't be news, but it would be. I almost never see policy in the political news, just political entertainment. And hecklers almost always make the cut.
kuvasz

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 09:09 am
The guy's a jerk. Remember the good days when merely wearing a tee shirt that had the number of American soldiers and marines killed in Iraq got you arrested during a Bush speech to Congress?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 09:10 am
@Robert Gentel,
I agree with the point you were making.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 09:30 am
Wrong time, wrong place, wrong outburst.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 09:31 am
In the battle of the public image (what much of politics is) Joe Wilson may have just cost the republicans their non-partisan request. I imagine the GOP is well aware of that.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 09:38 am
@dyslexia,
I heard he was a MAC...
0 Replies