My God... What An Idiot...

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 09:39 am
@dyslexia,
I love that someone got a picture of him in the act, and that it's everywhere.

http://www.blackweb20.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/090909-wilson-vmed-627p.widec.jpg

http://www.blackweb20.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/090909-wilson-vmed-627p.widec.jpg

Thousand words, and all that.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 09:45 am
@sozobe,
yeah, good fodder for the dems. the thing I wonder about is the concept that Obama HealthCare reform is the hook for the next election for both the dems and the GOP. Has Joe Wilson caused the GOP to go down in flames re HealthCare reform ergo to the 2010 elections? For want of a nail the war was lost sorta thing.
wandeljw

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 09:51 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

yeah, good fodder for the dems. the thing I wonder about is the concept that Obama HealthCare reform is the hook for the next election for both the dems and the GOP. Has Joe Wilson caused the GOP to go down in flames re HealthCare reform ergo to the 2010 elections? For want of a nail the war was lost sorta thing.

Maybe something else will happen: the Republican Party will start to disentangle itself from Limbaugh followers such as Rep. Wilson.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 09:52 am
@wandeljw,
no way, dude...

(this is the new them)
revel

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 09:54 am
@dyslexia,
One can only hope
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 09:55 am
@Rockhead,
You have a point, Rockhead. But if Republicans continue to follow that path, we may no longer have a two party system.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 09:56 am
@wandeljw,
I SO hope you are correct.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 09:59 am
This wasn't really that disastrous. I doubt the Republican party folds up and goes away because of this guys comment. After all, Pelosi compared people that disagree with Obamacare to Nazi's and she is still in control. I believe that will haunt her far longer.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 10:00 am
@McGentrix,
her re-election is coming or not as well.

(and it WAS that disastrous)

0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 11:13 am
I am a self admitted foul mouthed lout and even I would not disrupt the decorum of the halls of congress during a presidential speech in such a way.

Dipshit. Hopefully he's fucked his political future.
ebrown p

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 11:40 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Quote:

I agree with the rest of your post. But, personally, I hope this guy has a long, very public, political future.

Wilson 2012 kind of has ring to it.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 11:43 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
yes

at least until last night. His action was unprecedented.

His exact action of shouting "you lie" to a president in that particular setting might have been, but American politics used to be much more rough and tumble and the senate floor, at least, has seen much worse from a South Carolina representative in the past.

In 1856 Preston Brooks beat Charles Sumner unconscious on the Senate floor with a cane while Laurence M. Keitt held a pistol and prevented other senators from coming to his aid, shouting "Let them be!"
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 11:45 am
ebrown it's pussy to want to set up a fight with someone you know is so undermatched.

why not just go kick the **** out of your grandmother's bridge club while you're at it?
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 11:47 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

JPB wrote:
yes

at least until last night. His action was unprecedented.

His exact action of shouting "you lie" to a president in that particular setting might have been, but American politics used to be much more rough and tumble and the senate floor, at least, has seen much worse from a South Carolina representative in the past.

In 1856 Preston Brooks beat Charles Sumner unconscious on the Senate floor with a cane while Laurence M. Keitt held a pistol and prevented other senators from coming to his aid, shouting "Let them be!"

well I would have paid good money just to see Obama challenge Wilson to get up and call him a liar on camera in front of the world.... but Obama is a more high road kind of guy than I am.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 11:52 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I am a self admitted foul mouthed lout and even I would not disrupt the decorum of the halls of congress during a presidential speech in such a way.

as a fellow admittedly foul mouthed lout, i heartily concur. Very Happy

if we were to excuse this guy, it would only encourage more of the same and more. although it might be interesting to have at least one brawl in the rotunda.

"When you're a Jet,
You're a Jet all the way
From your first cigarette
To your last dyin' day. "

0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 12:03 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Quote:
ebrown it's pussy to want to set up a fight with someone you know is so undermatched.

why not just go kick the **** out of your grandmother's bridge club while you're at it?

My grandmother's bridge club isn't keeping us from getting a decent health care bill passed.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 01:13 pm
@Robert Gentel,
After viewing debate on the floor of the Senate in the 1830s, which included luminaries--as we see it--such as Daniel Webster and John Calhoun, Albert Sidney Johnston (once accounted the greatest Confederate soldier, he bled to death of a minor wound at the battle of Shiloh) wrote to his father-in-law in Louisville to say that he considered Congress to be a good place to find a career for a third or fourth son who had failed at everything else.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 03:53 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix (the Responsible) saith:

Quote:
After all, Pelosi compared people that disagree with Obamacare to Nazi's

Sorry, you are either just too shallow and believe the Rightwing propaganda fed to you by Faux News or are lying.

Pelosi did not call anyone Nazis. Pelosi (and Hoyer) wrote the following in an editoirial in USA Today,

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2009/08/unamerican-attacks-cant-derail-health-care-debate-.html

Quote:
"it is now evident that an ugly campaign is underway not merely to misrepresent the health insurance reform legislation, but to disrupt public meetings and prevent members of Congress and constituents from conducting a civil dialogue" and that "[d]rowning out opposing views is simply un-American."

Sadly, it is pretty clear that if someone as mature, bright, and what was that word you used in your profile....." responsible" can be brainwashed by the Rightwing propaganda machine, imagine what Addison Graves Wilson was thinking. After all anyone named for two endocrine diseases ought to be a tad twitchy.

I used to wonder why the Right lie so much. I had assumed them to be like the rest of us, viz., capable and desirous to engage in rational and honest debate on the facts. But they don't. They lie, obscure, and extend beyond logic anything that they believe will win the day.

And McGentrix, I accept your apology beforehand for spreading lies. It would be the responsible thing to do.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 04:34 pm
@kuvasz,
kuvasz wrote:
Pelosi did not call anyone Nazis. Pelosi (and Hoyer) wrote the following in an editoirial in USA Today,

That editorial isn't where that came from. It was a comment she made on video saying that the town hall folk are astroturfers "carrying swastikas and symbols like that to a town meeting on healthcare".

Still, I agree that it's a stretch to say she compared them to Nazis if you look at the broader context. When you consider that she's likely talking about the folk who took Rush Limbaugh's insipid comparison of the caduceus in Obama's healthcare logo to a Nazi symbol a bit too seriously it becomes clear that she isn't comparing them to Nazi's so much as saying they are folk who are comparing Obama to Nazis.

This particular Godwin is meta enough to be pretty confusing. Rush compared this caduceus:

http://imgur.com/ZeXdh.jpg

To this symbol:

http://imgur.com/exwm2.jpg

And now the partisan hacks online are going back trading blame on who started it with the stuff about Bush:

http://imgur.com/j0adm.jpg

It's a complete mess of Godwin's law all the way down, alternating between partisan hacks invoking the comparison and accusing the other side of doing so and then others still expressing outrage at either the comparison or the accusation. Absolutely insipid.

kuvasz wrote:
...imagine what Addison Graves Wilson was thinking. After all anyone named for two endocrine diseases ought to be a tad twitchy.

I thought that after the guy with the "funny name" got elected, and the left criticized the partisan attacks on his name, that the left would be wary of doing that kind of thing. Is this something you came up with yourself or is it making the rounds?
ebrown p

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 05:07 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:

It's a complete mess of Godwin's law all the way down, alternating between partisan hacks invoking the comparison and accusing the other side of doing so and then others still expressing outrage at either the comparison or the accusation. Absolutely insipid.

The difference is that the Democratic "partisan hacks" who are yelling Nazi are on the fringe of the Democratic party. Where as the Republican partisan hacks include not only popular TV personalities... but also elected officials.

The two don't compare.

There are Democratic extremists, we keep them on the fringe... but the Conservative Extremists are running the Republican party.