Why is sexual abuse of boys not taken seriously

panzade

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 09:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
great magazine;good reading
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 09:24 pm
@panzade,
more importantly, I am not a paranoid abusive asshole. This is a real problem, which I noticed years ago, before almost anyone else did. Having come from the survivor community I am sensitive to abuse, even when it is committed by "the system".
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:21 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Not just after the fact, but significantly after the fact. If we don't think the child has ability to give informed consent then they can't give informed assessment of damage. It makes it tough.

As to the risk, I agree with that but I don't think we tend to send drunk drivers away for years either. I wonder what the sentencing trends tend to be for this kind of case and what a typical sentence would be. No matter what they are the sentencing guidelines must be tough to codify and interpret in these cases.

Actually, don't know about the US, but trials can occur up to three years or even more after an offence is allegedly committed here.

What this can mean for child victims (other than that they have forgotten the kind of details demanded and are shockingly re-traumatised) is that they may have had a significant amount of therapy, and thus people like me, who have to write victim impact reports, may have a very deep knowledge of the child and the child's situation and be able to make guarded but reasonable guesstimate of likely outcomes, based on a good understanding of the child, the system supporting or failing to support said child etc.

Of course, the best one can do about long term effect is, indeed, just a reasonable guesstimate, and it is all thrown up in the air in adolescence anyway.

My impression is that sentences for child sexual abuse are pretty short, unless there are multiple offences or the abuse is violent, but here is s snapshot of sentencing for "maintaining a sexual relationship with a child under 16" which has some info on lengths of sentence. I assume the class of offence is one where the sexual contact has continued over time, not a one-off.

http://www.sentencingcouncil.vic.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/Sentencing+Council/resources/file/eb5a2c0154d3260/Maintain_A_Sexual_Relationship_With_A_Child_Under_16_Higher_Courts_2009.pdf

If there is a conviction.

Child evidence has great difficulty in being considered reliable here, as opposed to adult evidence.

At present here we appear to be in the odd position that adults who bring charges about abuse that happened to them years ago (and memory research suggests that the longer ago something happened the less reliable our memories are), if they get past all the hurdles of the Crown testing the case before going to trial, are getting much more convictions than kids who were expertly interviewed a short time after an offence. So..juries appear to believe people's memories from ages ago when they WERE a kid more than they believe the fresh memory of a kid.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 05:43 am
This link goes to a page from the Federal (U.S.) sentencing guideline manual. It refers to sentencing levels. While i don't know what the levels are, that is not relevant to why i have posted it. Note that the basis upon which sentencing is raised a certain number of levels is contingent upon the relationship of the offender to the victim, and the suasion used.+

Additionally, it does not recognize "consent" in cases involving victims under the age of 12. If a computer or interactive computer service is used, there is also an increase in the sentencing level.

Federal authority would apply on military reservations (many members of the armed forces lodge their families in subsidized housing on military reservations), and in trust territories. Puerto Rico legislates for itself, and i suspect that American Samoa does as well--but it would apply, for example, in the Pacific Island trust territories.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 08:31 am
The Economist article was interesting but not really relevant to this particular conversation. Sex offender registries probably deserve their own thread. (And what kind of idiot gives the boy at the next desk a blow job in the middle of class simply because he asked her to do it? Sorry, but I have a hard time feeling sorry for her.)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:10 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

The Economist article was interesting but not really relevant to this particular conversation.
Sex offender registries probably deserve their own thread.
(And what kind of idiot gives the boy at the next desk a blow job
in the middle of class simply because he asked her to do it?
Sorry, but I have a hard time feeling sorry for her.)
Do u think sexual attraction had anything to do with it ?
0 Replies

DavidAMorse1701

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 11:13 pm
@boomerang,
I agree its not taken seriously. Too many adults believe the myth that all boys desire sex. And also if a boy responds to the touch than he must have wanted and enjoyed it. As any man can admit it does not take much for any boy to get an erection even when they least want. Also, any man being truthful can say its very hard not to respond to stimulation even if they try. Any teen boy in the locker room after gym knows the horror of getting an erection in the shower. Adults seem to not want to believe our boys were abused sexually. This makes me very angry because boys have enough pressure on them growing up. We need to reconsider how we raise boys. They need as much or more care than girls. Girls are in fact born more mature than their sisters. But its the boys how are separated sooner from the nurturing of their mother. This unrealistic view of a boys' maturity makes it harder for him to deal with sexual abuse and seek help.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 12:41 am
@DavidAMorse1701,
Welcome to the forum, David !

DavidAMorse1701 wrote:

Quote:
I agree its not taken seriously.
Too many adults believe the myth that all boys desire sex.
When I was growing up, I kind of assumed that,
but admittedly, I did not ask around.

Quote:
And also if a boy responds to the touch than he must have wanted and enjoyed it.
As any man can admit it does not take much for any boy to get an
erection even when they least want. Also, any man being truthful
can say its very hard not to respond to stimulation even if they try.
I don't remember any reason to try.
Did I miss something ?

Quote:

Any teen boy in the locker room after gym knows the horror of getting an erection in the shower.
Adults seem to not want to believe our boys were abused sexually.
This makes me very angry because boys have enough pressure on them growing up.
What pressure? I don 't remember any pressure growing up.
I remember a lot of freedom and minding my own business.

Quote:

We need to reconsider how we raise boys.
They need as much or more care than girls.
When I was a boy, I 'd have ojected to that assertion.
I VALUED my personal liberty.
What "care" do u have in mind ?

Quote:
Girls are in fact born more mature than their sisters.
Are ALL girls more mature than their sisters?

David
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 01:34 am
@DavidAMorse1701,
Too many adults believe the myth that all boys desire sex
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
You got to be kidding me...this is the silly statement I had seen on the internet in all my many years!

Yes boys desire sex and yes if a good or somewhat good looking adult approach a teenage boy with sex in mind he would think he won the damn lottery.

PC nonsense should only be allow so far and this is way beyond it allowable limits in my opinion and I was at one time a horn teenage boy and there is no other type of teenage boy but for a horny teenage boy unless there are medical problems.
0 Replies